Full screen timeline without dual screen

• Author

Sibtain

Full screen timeline without dual screen

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 6:10 am

Hello trust you are well !
im coming from premiere pro to Davinci

id love to have the option to go full screen timeline without having to setup dual screen monitors just like we do when we hit Tilda in premiere pro

im constantly traveling and makes it difficult to carry extra monitor

hope to see this in future updates

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Full screen timeline without dual screen

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 9:11 am

In this case, where are your viewers?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

eikonoklastes

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 9:40 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:In this case, where are your viewers?

They are hidden. The request isn't for a new Workspace, but for a toggle to maximise the timeline (or preferably, any panel).

It's to enable us to work more easily with dense information, without needing to scroll around.

Example use cases would be when you need to do a bunch of timeline cleanup, like lining up clips, conforming durations of clips/transitions, naming clips, some copy and pasting across the timeline, etc. and don't need to see the viewers.

AndrewKeil

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 10:09 am

This would actually be super helpful, used this shortcut all the time in Premiere not just for the timeline but also for bins and the viewers, just a quick way to toggle maximising a window to fullscreen.

Could be useful in pages other than the edit page too, like organising large node trees in Fusion and Color or looking at the media pool/media storage in media.

I don't think it would break the UI either.

+1

Sibtain

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 9:05 pm

stocked to see this in the future update :)

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 6:09 pm

I understand this would require a complete re-write of the UI.

I prefer Resolve's UI to that of Adobe software.

I vote no.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sibtain

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 8:08 pm

Davinci interface is good , just an option to maximize timeline ( which already exists with dual screen ) not requiring dual screen , there is no complication

only request here is to be able to go full screen timeline without a need of having dual monitor

eikonoklastes

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 6:24 am

Jim Simon wrote:I understand this would require a complete re-write of the UI.

Where did you get this information from? Quote your sources please. And even if it did, how does that detract from the value of the feature request? You had (have?) been an opponent of fractional scaling forever, stating absurd reasons against it, and now that it's here, I think it's obvious that Blackmagic is not averse to rewriting the UI.

Jim Simon wrote:I prefer Resolve's UI to that of Adobe software.
How does this feature fundamentally alter Resolve's UI? It's not a feature request to redesign the UI. If you particularly hate this feature, and it makes you feel like it's "too Adobe" just don't press the button to use it, or unassign it from the keyboard editor. Resolve also shares text boxes and sliders with Adobe software. Do those also make you uncomfortable?

Voting no on an obvious productivity boosting feature is a headscratcher, even for you, Jim.

Sibtain

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 1:38 pm

Totally agreed !!!

AndrewKeil

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 4:06 pm

eikonoklastes wrote:How does this feature fundamentally alter Resolve's UI

The short answer is it wouldn't, any more than full screen timeline in dual screen mode or Lightbox does now.

It's a toggle, it's maximising a window to use it alone before snapping back to the standard UI. It's very useful in Premiere and it'd be very useful in Resolve. There's literally no downside to adding a feature like this, it's just the stock no answer as usual, best ignored tbh.

okiewardoyo

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 9:51 am

+1 Maximize timeline and other window
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

philipbowser

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 9:18 pm

+1

For those that haven't used it before in Premiere Pro, it's a great way to quickly hop into a fullscreen timeline view, do some quick selections or edits, then toggle back into the standard layout. It's not really meant for doing "editing" where you need to see the viewers and think about pacing, it's more for utility operations like selecting or deleting a large number of clips or orienting yourself in a huge timeline then toggling it off. Very fast and convenient.

It would be similar philosophy to why the Lightbox exists on the Color Page. It's basically like a fullscreen view of the Clips panel that you can toggle on. You obviously aren't meant to do actual coloring while the Lightbox is toggled on, which is why it's okay that your viewer is covered up, it's more for utility operations like selecting a large number of clips and grouping them etc. This is the same reason why you don't need to be looking at your viewers for every single operation you do on the Edit page. So if you're trying to think of how this feature might be useful to an Editor, think about how useful the Lightbox is to a Colorist.

Santiago

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 10:42 pm

I can't imagine edit something without seeing what happened, but O understand the philosophy. I used it in After Effects, and is very useful when you have to work in a laptop. But I'm After I usually have to make a render to see the results, when I'm editing I don't usually have to wait to see what I'm doing.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

Sibtain

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 11:53 am

this isn't used for editing without seeing anything , this helps sort and move back and forth our huge 7 hour timelines more efficiently

digitallysane

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 4:01 pm

+1

Olivier MATHIEU

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 11:55 pm

+1
It would be great to have a unique shortcut across all the pages
Especially in my case for viewers and node graph of Fusion and color pages
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

bluetoohfi

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:25 pm

+1

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 10:07 pm

+1, would be useful in other windows as well (nodes, mixer window, fusion viewers, etc) It's actually a common thing in the design software world and a typical thing you would miss if it was to be removed.

philipbowser

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 11:11 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I understand this would require a complete re-write of the UI.

I prefer Resolve's UI to that of Adobe software.

I vote no.

Jim, I think you may be misinterpreting the feature request? This isn't asking to adopt Adobe's UI, but to add a feature that exists in a piece of Adobe software to the existing Resolve UI. Being able to maximize a panel wouldn't change your UI experience at all. Just don't maximize panels if you don't want to use the feature.

There's actually a bit of precedence for this, and it's in a feature that I'm sure you yourself use. You can currently "Expand" the Media Pool or Inspector panels to either use the full vertical length of your screen, or only half of the screen, depending on if you want to prioritize screen space for the Timeline panel or not. This feature was implemented for a reason: To give the user the choice of how their screen's real estate is being used, depending on what their priorities are at any given time. Imagine being able to do something similar for other panels (like the Timeline panel), and being able to expand to the full screen instead of just vertically. And just to be clear here, because I know people get scared of change, I'm not saying we replace the current "Expand" feature, but to add a maximize feature.

I think we can imagine a world that this feature exists without a "complete re-write of the UI", no?

philipbowser

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 11:22 pm

Santiago wrote:I can't imagine edit something without seeing what happened

Santiago, let me provide an example that might help you imagine this. Lets say you want to change the clip color of various video and audio clips in a large, complex timeline. I would call this a "utility" operation, as you aren't actually "editing" video clips, simply making large selections of clips and changing their color property. For a utility operation like this, you don't necessarily need to be looking at your viewer for every mouse click that you make. Being able to temporarily maximize the Timeline panel to see a full-height view of all your tracks is a much easier way to make these selections than having to scroll up and down in a smaller Timeline panel to make sure you've selected everything.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of the kinds of operations a feature like this would be helpful for.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 12:41 am

Santiago wrote:I can't imagine edit something without seeing what happened

BlackMagicDesign provide wonderful Decklink/Ultrastudio for that :D (I am the devil's advocate :evil: )

I agree with you

Funny thing is that colorist never watch the viewer and only the monitor.
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

jortaman

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 8:20 am

+1

This would be a great feature. I use this a lot in Premiere. Just quickly jumping into full screen timeline and back with a shortcut

Daniel Peprnik

PostSat Jul 22, 2023 8:37 am

+1

This is the only downside of davinci, but a big one. When I travel and edit on the go, I have only 14" laptop without second monitor and I wish there was an option to maximize window under cursor via Tilda key like in Premiere (not only timeline- also media pool etc). Thank you!

Daniel Peprnik

PostSat Jul 22, 2023 9:14 am

SOLVED! (tested on windows 10)
I have just discovered option to have full screen TL without dual screen. I set up virtual monitor via AMYUNI via tutorial on youtube (search for How to install a VIRTUAL Monitor on Windows 10/11! (Virtual Display Driver!) by MikeTheTech.)

IT WORKS!

It would be perfect if blackmagic could implement this feature, but for now, it works for me.

Sibtain

PostMon Sep 11, 2023 11:44 pm

interesting please share your process after the installation , how do you go about this to make it work ?

Norbert339

PostTue Sep 12, 2023 3:25 am

+1; I think we need a window behavious like Premier has, where you can Dock any window any way you want to make your workflow comfortable and a way to put any window fullscreen like you can do it in Premiere.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

bentheanimator

PostTue Sep 12, 2023 3:43 pm

+1

In Fusion 9 it was F4.
In Nuke, it's Alt+S.
In Flame, it's Ctrl+Shift+Swipe.
In Adobe, it's the Tilda.
In Houdini, it's Ctrl+B.
In Maya, it's Ctrl+Spacebar.
In 3DS Max, it's Alt+W.

It might be a standard feature for professional software.

The only software I can think of that works without a full screen option is Finalcut Pro and THAT has been criticized for the past decade because of the monumental step back it made going from FCP 7.0 to FCPX. To be fair I also don't recall Avid having that "feature" either but I wouldn't call that a good excuse to neglect it.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Tekkerue

PostWed Sep 13, 2023 11:05 am

Norbert339 wrote:+1; I think we need a window behavious like Premier has, where you can Dock any window any way you want to make your workflow comfortable and a way to put any window fullscreen like you can do it in Premiere.
+1

In addition, save the panels' sizes and positions as layout presets and assign them to keyboard shortcuts for fast layout switching. I do this all the time in my DAW Reaper and it's amazing.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

visualfeast

PostThu Sep 14, 2023 2:11 am

bentheanimator wrote:To be fair I also don't recall Avid having that "feature" either but I wouldn't call that a good excuse to neglect it.

In Avid I just setup different layout presets to get pretty much same thing (https://www.editvideofaster.com/presets ... -composer/). But I like how Blender does it— Ctrl+Space maximizes any panel under your cursor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/75TB RAID/3080ti/Intensity Pro 4K/2x ProArt PA278CGV/Dell U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.2 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

okiewardoyo

PostThu Sep 14, 2023 6:59 am

bentheanimator wrote:+1

In Fusion 9 it was F4.
In Nuke, it's Alt+S.
In Flame, it's Ctrl+Shift+Swipe.
In Adobe, it's the Tilda.
In Houdini, it's Ctrl+B.
In Maya, it's Ctrl+Spacebar.
In 3DS Max, it's Alt+W.

It might be a standard feature for professional software.

The only software I can think of that works without a full screen option is Finalcut Pro and THAT has been criticized for the past decade because of the monumental step back it made going from FCP 7.0 to FCPX. To be fair I also don't recall Avid having that "feature" either but I wouldn't call that a good excuse to neglect it.

Same with me, i was shocked when i used Resolve for the first time. How can i use this software in small screen. :D
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

CHFR_yuidmb

PostThu Sep 14, 2023 6:37 pm

Fully agreed, maximizing would be great! (replying for visibility)

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests