Rename Library (fix my own chaos)

• Author

Ulrich W.

Rename Library (fix my own chaos)

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 pm

Well, I started using Resolve, doing some trainings, doing some tests, and doing some real work, and I upgraded to studio...
Unfortunately I did not think a lot about organizing when starting ("because it was only a test"), but now I'd like to organize my chaos without removing everything and start anew.

In principle I wanted to have three libraries:
  • One for real work
  • One for training stuff
  • One for my own experiments "(tests")
So what I'm missing are mostly two features:

1) Being able to rename a "library" (formerly called "database", right?). I can rename projects, but not databases it seems. And I'm talking only about the name displayed, not about the folder the library resides in.
2) Being able to rename or move database folders, too, as well as relocating footage *easily* (I did it via re-linking, but that was a *lot* of work). Can't I say "I moved folder X (possibly with many subfolders) to folder Y (with corresponding subfolders); please notice!"?

Marc Wielage

Re: Rename Library (fix my own chaos)

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 2:42 am

You could try this:

1) create a new database named for the intended purpose (personal, professional, a particular client, a particular time of year, etc).

2) go to your main database, select the projects you want to move over, and copy them to the clipboard (^C or ⌘C)

3) go to the new database and paste the projects over (^V or ⌘V).

4) disconnect the old database.

I sympathize: sometimes it takes months or years of experience to come up with a methodology that can help organize the projects as efficiently and logically as possible. We find it helps doing it by USER (colorist's name), and sometimes by CLIENT AND YEAR (like "2023_Big_Commericial_Co", "2023_Network_Series_S1", etc.). The key is to make it easy to understand for anybody walking up to the system, like an assistant or a new freelance person or a regular staffer.

Whatever you do, don't move or rename the database folders in your system -- only do renaming & moving within the Project Manager itself.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 6:45 pm

If you want to rename a library inside Resolve just disconnect it and reconnect using the name you prefer. Not obvious but easy!
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:If you want to rename a library inside Resolve just disconnect it and reconnect using the name you prefer. Not obvious but easy!

? as far as I remember with a PosgreSQL you can only reconnect with the original library name ?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 5:59 pm

I know you can arbitrarily rename for disk databases. Not sure for servers though.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

Ulrich W.

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 8:45 pm

@Marc Wielage Thanks for your hints!
I didn't know you can transfer projects via clipboard, and I wonder: How can the clipboard hold a huge project? Or is there some trickery behind the scenes?

@Joe Shapiro I wonder how Resolve finds the Library folders: I thought there is some "master index", and when I rename a folder with a library, the master index would complain...

Anyway, built-in help for organizing the chaos one has made (or at least a helpful chapter in the manual) would be nice.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 10:19 pm

Resolve only keeps track of where connected Libraries live. So if you disconnect a Library, Resolve no longer knows where that Library is.

As Mark said, it's a bad idea to rename a folder in the filesystem if that folder contains a Library. Though the only harm done should be that you'll need to reconnect it in its new location.

When you connect to a disk-based Library you can use any name other than those of currently connected Libraries.
Resolve 18.6.6

Marc Wielage

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 12:40 am

Ulrich W. wrote:@Marc Wielage Thanks for your hints! I didn't know you can transfer projects via clipboard, and I wonder: How can the clipboard hold a huge project? Or is there some trickery behind the scenes?

My guess is that it's just copying an alias (or a pointer) to the clip, and then once you paste it, Resolve is smart enough to actually copy the entire DRP (or series of DRPs). I can only tell you that it works -- try it yourself.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests