User sort in bin

• Author

cobra427

User sort in bin

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 4:25 pm

Let me explain why:
I never film lineair in time (documentaries, news, homevideos, etc.). After a 'event' I usually make a few extra shots. Maybe the entrance of a building, people at the start, something else going on, etc. Sometimes it seems better to change the order in time a bit. There can be many reasons for me to change the order of the clips. I know I can move around clips on the timeline, but it would be much faster if I could move around clips in the BIN to make a sort of rough story. Then I can start working on them on the CUT page using the sourceviewer. I like the easy way to move clips in the CUT page, but the timeline does not give me a view of what the clip is about (which is o.k. for me). With a 'user sort' in the BIN it will become a sort of storyboard. This would make most of my editing much faster. I like the speed of the CUT page. This would make it better.

Remember: 90% of the users will only use 10% of the software.
This will be in my 10%.
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

kinvermark

Re: User sort in BIN

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 pm

+1!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely essential for long-form projects. The cut page's "source tape" paradigm makes this even more important, as it is very difficult to pull "selects" from non contiguous parts of the source tape without getting totally confused. There are also no indicators in the cut page that show which clips you have already used (unlike the edit page, where you can see red lines under clip portions used.) IMO, the source tape should also highlight in red the clip parts used.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

cobra427

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am

I guess this not is not as much needed as I hoped or.

If this is something we want there would be more replies. There is big chance the BMD developers look to see how many replies a suggestion has (how populair or how much needed it is) and to make a chance to actually get added suggestions needs to have many replies. Look back and see which suggestions make a chance.
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

amorias

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 2:50 pm

This is probably one of the most important features for me as well.

I rarely shoot my real estate shots in sequence. Would be great to have a storyboard kind of function where I can move clips in order before I head into the edit page where they will be in the finished sequence.

Thanks in advance.
Alex Morias
www.Videolistings.ca

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 4:43 pm

This has already been asked for, but it's still a much needed feature.

One caveat is that that sorting in other bin views needs to be fully ignored in Storyboard view so the work we did doesn't get 'erased'.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Waendi

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 pm

This is an absolute necessary feature! The manual sorting (drag and drop) either in the bins or even better in the Media Pool is for me a must and helps to save the time.

I'm not sorting clips with metadata, filename etc. etc. Let me explain why I prefer a manual sorting (drag and drop):
I was from Jan - March 2020 (yes, just before the Covid Lockdown...) on a world tour and we have hundreds if not thousands of pictures and videoclips form our trip, made by different people with different cameras. Of course, we have not synched correct date and time... :o :o.

So my workflow is to import all medias from the different people at first into Adobe Lightroom Classic and sort all into separate "collections" named eg. "Australia, Melbourne", "New Zealand, Rotorua" etc. In Lightroom collections it is very easy to sort by drag and drop and so I can finally making a slide show incl. all the video clips.

However, I would like to do the slide shows in DaVinci Resolve (currently using 16.2.8) as I have much more flexibility (sound, colors, titles & subtitles etc.) and therefore I would like to have this "user sort".

I know that I could rename in Lightroom all pictures in an ascending order and import into the DR media pool - but when editing in DR I miss very much the user sorting feature. The sorting within the timeline is possible but when you have 60 clips per location then its not very comfortable.

Thanks in advance / Waendi

kinvermark

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 pm

Plus, virtually every other NLE out there has this capability - so clearly recognized as an important tool for editors.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

visualfeast

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 4:33 am

+1! I use the free-form sort in Avid all the time. Would like this in Resolve as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/75TB RAID/3080ti/Intensity Pro 4K/2x ProArt PA278CGV/Dell U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.2 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

brediknight

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 12:13 am

Another example of how BMD knows nothing about Editorial.

All dev appears to be going into the Cut Page for FCPX type entry level markets.

BMD is on track to lose any gains its made in Studios or Facilities for anything but Color.

cobra427

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 am

thanks for your reaction!

If we want this function, please add more responses to this post. The more the better. This gives us a better chance to get it implemented.

cobra427

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 8:06 am

If you also want this function, please give a reaction. The more the better.

cobra427

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 8:28 am

It is very nice you can set a posterframe to help you see the meaning or content of a clip directly. The next step would be a possibility to arrange the clips in an order that makes sense to you. This could be done via a 'user sort' in the BIN. A lot of NLE's have this. Not Resolve. I hope Resolve can add this basic function.
I would be happy if they did. I know I would use it every time I use Resolve.

John Holt

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 10:26 am

Waendi wrote:This is an absolute necessary feature! The manual sorting (drag and drop) either in the bins or even better in the Media Pool is for me a must and helps to save the time.

I'm not sorting clips with metadata, filename etc. etc. Let me explain why I prefer a manual sorting (drag and drop):
I was from Jan - March 2020 (yes, just before the Covid Lockdown...) on a world tour and we have hundreds if not thousands of pictures and videoclips form our trip, made by different people with different cameras. Of course, we have not synched correct date and time... :o :o.

So my workflow is to import all medias from the different people at first into Adobe Lightroom Classic and sort all into separate "collections" named eg. "Australia, Melbourne", "New Zealand, Rotorua" etc. In Lightroom collections it is very easy to sort by drag and drop and so I can finally making a slide show incl. all the video clips.

However, I would like to do the slide shows in DaVinci Resolve (currently using 16.2.8) as I have much more flexibility (sound, colors, titles & subtitles etc.) and therefore I would like to have this "user sort".

I know that I could rename in Lightroom all pictures in an ascending order and import into the DR media pool - but when editing in DR I miss very much the user sorting feature. The sorting within the timeline is possible but when you have 60 clips per location then its not very comfortable.

Thanks in advance / Waendi

Hello, Apologies if I miss the mark here but this is built-in? isn't it

I can open and sort any Bin in any order and colour code my clips, using a vast array of sort properties from reel names to any metadata and even file path. I can automatically group by people in the clip too.

I can also create a storyboard.

Have I missed the point?

-John
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

kinvermark

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 2:45 am

John Holt wrote:Hello, Apologies if I miss the mark here but this is built-in? isn't it

I can open and sort any Bin in any order and colour code my clips, using a vast array of sort properties from reel names to any metadata and even file path. I can automatically group by people in the clip too.

I can also create a storyboard.

Have I missed the point?

-John

I don't think we are talking about the same thing here - but would be over-the-moon to be proven wrong!

Sounds like you are "manually" ordering clips by entering metadata. Yes, this is possible, but is incredibly slow compared to simply dragging and dropping in the order you want. Plus, how do you make changes (scene 1, shot 2 becomes 2.1 to make room for one before but still before 3?) - quite cumbersome IMO. Good example is Adobe Bridge (it's FREE), and I would use this and then d-drop into Resolve, except Resolve does not respect the Bridge sort order (other NLE's do FYI).

Maybe you can post an example of how you "storyboard" in Resolve.

cobra427

Re: User sort in bin

PostSat Jan 30, 2021 1:44 pm

For me: entering metadata takes too much time. I simply want to rearrange the clips to my liking.

cobra427

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 8:34 am

I just read another request for a storyboard function. Is that the same as having a 'user sort' function?
There are so many requests. How can we make this one get realized?

Onsche

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 9:38 am

+1
Two features, editors must have:
1.) Usage of clips in current timeline,view at a glance. Thumpnails with little indicators like in premiere.
2.) Custom sort of clips. Like in storytelling order.

I am on my 6th feature lenght film in Davinci Resolve.
I always found ways to work around and really get in to davinci resolve. But since my last director's session, i am struggling when he asked me, which of these clips are used in this specific timeline? Resolve tell me an overall usage of clips, hidden in the kontext menue or in a column. We really need to see on a thumbnail, which clip is existing in the current timeline.
And we all would be much faster, if we were able to sort clips manually. I used to work with printed snapshots of a 90min documentary. My workaround to bring the story visual on the table. Please please... Its annoying. I want to drag and drop my user sort clips.
These two reasons, make me considering, to change the nle to avid.

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 02, 2022 3:27 pm

Onsche wrote:1.) Usage of clips in current timeline,view at a glance. Thumpnails with little indicators like in premiere.
Resolve had this before Premiere Pro. The red lines near the bottom of the clip in Thumbnail view show what portions of that clip are used in the currently 'active' timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ben Carlson

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 4:18 pm

+1

In my activity/workflows I often need to "make something" with 'random' clips I receive from others, so visual triage/grouping/sorting clips by drag-drop and free placement anywhere on a bin's real estate is immensely needed, before I can start figuring out what my timeline may look like. Using keywords for this is way too structured & time consuming. I used this feature in Avid MC bins a lot.

So, yes, I support:
1) free sorting of clips in bins
2) free placement of clips (thumbnails) anywhere in bins (not bound to specific alignment).
DR Studio 18.1.4 Win10Pro 22H2 19045.3448 i7-8850H 2.6GHz - 32GB RAM;
nVidia Quadro P2000 4 GB (532.09)
OS,Library,Project: 1TB SSD - Cache & src media files: 500GB NVMe
ATEM TVS (8.6.4), VA 4k (2.5.4)
Mini Monitor & Mini Recorder (Deskt Vid 12.0)

Philip B

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 5:37 pm

+1
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 + 18.1.4
Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 (22631.2861)
ThinkPad P17 - i9-10885H 2.40GHz - 64.0 GB - 3840x2160
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 Max-Q - R545 U2 (546.01) Enterprise NFB
Intel UHD 31.0.101.2125
2 x Dell P3222QE - 3840x2160

alex adam

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 5:01 am

+1 for this.

Side note: Maybe we need a "Standard" and "Detailed" mode so that those who want/need more editorial adjustments to bins & metadata can have access without adding too much visual/menu clutter for those who dont? BM seem to want to keep the software accessible, but there are plenty of users who would love some more flexibility & customizations...

JakobP

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 8:40 pm

+1

And please give us Thumbnail Clip Usage Indicators in the cut page!

flavioggarcia

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 7:45 pm

+1!

Another long form editor here that misses this soooo much.

All long form editor. I repeat: every long form editor uses this function.

Just do it!

Thank you!

alex adam

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 4:38 am

+1

MartinHeijgelaar

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 11:31 am

YES pleeeaase, we want a manual sort...
Desperatly.

billebel66

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 7:28 pm

Yes, PLEASE!! Editing feature films without this feature is a pain. I like to organize my shots by set-up (WS, MS, CU, b-roll cutaways, etc) I miss this from Premiere and Avid.

KALK4L

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 4:15 am

Still no way to manually sort my media pool? I just want to drag and drop the clip to wherever I want it to be, I don't think that's too much to ask...

aminix

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 11:34 pm

+1

I mainly worked with different software like Movieshop (Amiga/Draco 1990!!!!), Pinnacle/Avid Liquid, Premiere, Lightworks and others... All with the possibility to arrange the clips in own way. I'm surprised that a software like Resolve in 2023 doesn't have this possibility.

The only workaround to do this is to create a new bin, choose the order for the SCENE and place the clips from the master bin to the new one in the desired sequence one after the other. But even in this way it is not possible to insert a clip between one and another or to move them afterwards.

Mei Lewis

PostFri Sep 29, 2023 2:34 pm

+1 to this.

I am trying very hard to switch to resolve for everything, but can't because of the lack of this one basic feature.

I flat out don't understand why it's no in there already:
- everyone else has it
- it doesn't add complexity of ui for anyone that doesn't use it
- it's a huge time saver for those who use it
- it's a very visual way of editing, which is supposed to be visual.

mbrinman

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 3:33 pm

+1 for all of the reasons already stated.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests