Look designer tools

• Author

Chris Mierzwinski

Look designer tools

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 9:11 am

Another feature(s) worth having in the next upgrade I think are some specific look designer ones. I hear it quite often people grading in resolve but reaching out to other tools here and there to develop any film print or other specific looks. Better way of viewing luts in 3D and manipulating it. More than I can think of.

What other tools is anyone using here in addition to resolve to create, test and view their grades?
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
MICRO PANEL
ASUS ProArt PA329CV 32" Monitor
intel i9 7900x 10 core
Nvidia 1080ti
win 10 pro
64GB ram
m.2 512gb nvme scratch disk

Sven H

Re: Look designer tools

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 7:20 am

I can do all that I need to inside of Resolve/Fusion.

what kind of feature are you missing?

Chris Mierzwinski

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 3:04 am

There's probably many I can't think of but one being something like lattice by film box as an example. That's more of asessing tool in a more visual way but still great. So any tools to create, assess or simplify designing tools.
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
MICRO PANEL
intel i9 7900x 10 core
Nvidia 1080ti
win 10 pro
64GB ram

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 3:54 am

Chris Mierzwinski wrote:There's probably many I can't think of but one being something like lattice by film box as an example.

Have you looked at Warper? There's a lot you can do in there that I think a lot of people are unaware of.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sven H

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 2:03 pm

Chris Mierzwinski wrote:There's probably many I can't think of but one being something like lattice by film box as an example. That's more of asessing tool in a more visual way but still great. So any tools to create, assess or simplify designing tools.
what do you need from lattice.
3D cube view? possible inside of fusion
Merging LUTs? do a parallel node or layer node setup

surely a great tool, though

Chris Mierzwinski

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 7:20 pm

Lattice also shows you whats happening in a given lut via curves.
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
MICRO PANEL
intel i9 7900x 10 core
Nvidia 1080ti
win 10 pro
64GB ram

Sven H

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 5:46 am

Chris Mierzwinski wrote:Lattice also shows you whats happening in a given lut via curves.
take a grey scale ramp, apply a lut, look at the parade.

thing is, I'm not saying don't buy lattice or anything. that's not what this post is about. it's a great tool. but talking about features missing in resolve, those are all already in there

Marc Wielage

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 7:55 am

Sven H wrote:
Chris Mierzwinski wrote:Lattice also shows you whats happening in a given lut via curves.
take a grey scale ramp, apply a lut, look at the parade. thing is, I'm not saying don't buy lattice or anything. that's not what this post is about. it's a great tool. but talking about features missing in resolve, those are all already in there

I found I had to use Grayscale Ramps and full-screen color patches at different intensities in order to get a good feel as to what the LUT was doing. I should post a DRP when I get a chance, but basically I had RGB and YCM at 3 different levels (low / medium / high), then full-screen gray at a 6 different levels (black-20-40-60-80-100), and I looked at them on the Parade scope and the Vectorscope and said "AH... that's what the LUT is really doing." And then adjusted curves to recreate the look, over and over again.

There are some super-complex LUTs that do more, but a lot of the stock LUTs out there are not doing that much. I do own Lattice, but I would rather create the looks in Resolve, particularly when texture or a plug-in is part of that look. And again, Warper can do miracles in the right circumstances.

Juan Melara's now-infamous video that shows how he recreated the Linny LUTs (which I think was pulled off the net) demonstrates that if you really want to spend hours of work, you can dig and do damned near anything with Resolve, with a lot of work. Melara is an interesting guy to watch:

https://juanmelara.com.au/blog
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sven H

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 4:41 pm

while the greyscale test can only show the 1D behavior of the LUT and doesn't show the complexity of 3D LUTs, it's a great way to test simple things. But I'm not sure if lattice can show any of that either apart from in the 3D view (wich again is possible in resolve aswell)

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests