Timeline from Clip, Improved

• Author

PalmerWoodrow

Re: Timeline from Clip, Improved

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 12:25 am

Do you log into every suggestion that you don't see the need for and "downvote" it?

Because this one should be easy to implement (it already is partially implemented) and provide significant time savings and potentially improved output quality for a great many (perhaps even most) users.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 2:27 am

PalmerWoodrow wrote:Do you log into every suggestion that you don't see the need for and "downvote" it?

Because this one should be easy to implement (it already is partially implemented) and provide significant time savings and potentially improved output quality for a great many (perhaps even most) users.

yes because we share the same (limited) programming resources form blackmagic and based on the preferred workflow, there are other needs that I wish to have done ahead of that one. Some of the wishes I have are years old, even if they are "easy to implement" from a programming point of view (like alphabetical ordering of the group list).

so, yes, if I see a function that I like to see implemented i put a +1, if i see a function that i wish goes in the backburner, I do put a -1. for neutral ones, i might comment but not vote.

This is not kindergarten where everybody gets a medal: that is how it works in forums where there is a debate on feature requests.

as Usual, this is just an opinion among many.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

iddos-l

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 5:10 am

Every user on this forum has the right to be heard and cast their vote.
I personally don’t want this feature because I feel it will make a lot of mistakes along the way.
-1 from me.

PalmerWoodrow

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 4:23 pm

The whole point of automating it is so you won't make mistakes setting up your timeline.

Why do you assume it won't be implemented correctly, and couldn't be fixed if it weren't? And finally, aside from all that, why do you assume that you'd be forced to use it?
Last edited by PalmerWoodrow on Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 4:36 pm

iddos-l wrote:Every user on this forum has the right to be heard and cast their vote.
I personally don’t want this feature because I feel it will make a lot of mistakes along the way.
-1 from me.

That's the problem, feelings shouldn't be involved in the development of software.

Hard facts (but mostly logic) is what matter. I didn't see any logical explanation, or examples on how this change would impact the majority of the users in a negative way.

This feature request is extremely logical and simple. And it doesn't remove anything too. It adds something.

And what mistakes? You can create any timeline and drag any video not matching its settings on it. Anyone can make "mistakes" TODAY with Resolve at every step. With this way of thinking, you can literally shutdown every single new feature request.

You realize that at some point, it was not possible to change the settings of a timeline after its creation?
These limitations are a pain. But it changed over time.

Like many other changes that gave us more flexibility. It enhanced the experience of the users, removed friction points, etc.

There are tons of archaic stuff in Resolve. It's an old software that didn't really evolve for a long time
because it was centered around color grading.

Everything else, especially the Edit page, is been remodeled as we speak.

Even Jim (the guy who wrote this feature request) was/is against logical changes, uses "feelings" without giving any examples why a feature request could be a problem. Many of the ideas he was against... were implemented anyway.

But here, he makes total sense.

1) We can create a new timeline that inherits from the project's settings
2) We cannot create a new timeline that inherits from the clips settings (all of the settings)

After the change:

1) We can create a new timeline that inherits from the project's settings
2) We can create a new timeline that inherits from the clips settings (all of the settings)
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 8:37 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
PalmerWoodrow wrote:Do you log into every suggestion that you don't see the need for and "downvote" it?

yes because we share the same (limited) programming resources form blackmagic and based on the preferred workflow, there are other needs that I wish to have done ahead of that one.

I think the forum policy should be to vote based on how the feature would effect you, not on how you'd like to allocate dev resources. Here's why:

Say I'm a colorist and don't really use the edit page much. If I vote based on resource allocation then the edit page will almost always lose out to the color page.

Ditto for editors who don't use the color page that much. So if we all go by your model and downvote things we don't want resources spent on, then the growing number of edit-centric users would mean many worthy non-edit-centric suggestions would be heavily downvoted.

Luckily, there are only a few people here who use that scheme. But it's unpleasant for the rest of us and might just provoke people to start "pushing back."

Finally, if people do their own personal dev resource allocation, how can BMD tell the difference between features people don't want and features people don't want dev resources spent on?

Heck, we don't even know who works on what. I think the same devs work on the Edit and Color pages but other than that they're different teams. So we as users don't have the info to do dev resource allocation even if we want to.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Jim Simon

PostMon Jan 02, 2023 5:11 pm

iddos-l wrote: feel it will make a lot of mistakes along the way.
I have no objection to the idea of a downvote. It's a valid vote, whatever the reasoning.

That said, I do find this particular objection strange, because the request is designed specifically to avoid mistakes.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

JungleExplorer

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 11:22 pm

+1

As a wildlife videographer, this feature is crucial to me. I may shoot an hour's worth of video for only a few seconds of footage that I want to keep. I like to keep an original native copy. My old editor has the option to not process/render video that matches the project settings. So when I import a native clip, I can trim it to just the part I want, and then save the clip in its native quality. All the program does is just trim out the part I don't want.

I love DR for it's editing power and work flow, but until it has this feature, I will still need to use my old editor to trim clips for archival storage.
Just a guy being a guy trying to survive

DR 18.6.4 Build 6

MB: Gigabyte GA-B460M DS3H AC V2-Y1
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1660S Super
C-Drive: Evo 970 M.2 1TB
Drive 2: HD 6TB
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P 24"

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 2:08 am

Ultimately, Blackmagic will decide to implement the features they want. I would love to see an archival feature whether in Resolve or separate app.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 2:22 am

JungleExplorer wrote:I can trim it to just the part I want, and then save the clip in its native quality. All the program does is just trim out the part I don't want.

Please look up media management in the Resolve 18.1 manual - Chapter 45 (page 845). Specifically, look up the behavior for the Copy Used Media and Trim keeping X handles option.

PalmerWoodrow

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 4:23 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Please look up media management in the Resolve 18.1 manual - Chapter 45 (page 845). Specifically, look up the behavior for the Copy Used Media and Trim keeping X handles option.

Good tip! Thanks for that.

JungleExplorer

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 2:09 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:
JungleExplorer wrote:I can trim it to just the part I want, and then save the clip in its native quality. All the program does is just trim out the part I don't want.

Please look up media management in the Resolve 18.1 manual - Chapter 45 (page 845). Specifically, look up the behavior for the Copy Used Media and Trim keeping X handles option.

Thanks. I will definitely look into this. The more I use DR the more I love it. If it can do this, I will love it even more.

DR 18.6.4 Build 6

PalmerWoodrow

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 5:11 pm

But... let's not lose sight of the fact that many of us still want a proper "match timeline to footage" function...
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

JungleExplorer

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 6:05 pm

PalmerWoodrow wrote:But... let's not lose sight of the fact that many of us still want a proper "match timeline to footage" function...

Of course not. For people who want to render in native quality, it would be nice if the program had a pop-up when you added the clip to the timeline that said, "Would you like the adjust the project properties to match this video clip's properties" or something clear and understandable like that. It would be a simple yes or no, that could be clicked away by those who don't want it. In my old video editor, it was an option that could be turned on or off.

firct clip.jpg
firct clip.jpg (121.24 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

DR 18.6.4 Build 6

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 8:28 pm

Not a fan of that implementation, Victor. I still prefer the original idea.

New Timeline follows the Project Settings.
New Timeline Using Selected Clips ignores Project Settings and uses clip specs.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Videoneth

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 3:56 pm

This FR needs to be in 18.5 final.
It should be pretty easy, just read the resolution and framerate of the file
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

A_Ivanov

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 10:29 am

+1
I work a lot with old newsreels. As you understand, this is always a different resolution and fps. I really miss this feature. I have to keep an old version of Adobe Premiere for quick cutting.

bentheanimator

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 6:54 pm

+1
Just add a Checkbox: "Inherit Clip Properties"
Can we also include the name of the clip becomes the timeline name? That's also something I have to copy and paste instead of inheriting it.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

giogio

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 5:20 am

++1 for me

I need this feature all the times and every single time I must look at the clip spec in metadata and type them in the format tab. Please.

And I don't see why "Based on selected media" does not update the timeline info based on selected media. Even if there is something I am missing I don't see why the format tab shouldn't have a way to import the settings based on the selected media. It doesn't look much of a complication or effort to me (and I am software engineer too).

Videoneth

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 1:21 pm

giogio wrote:++1 for me

I need this feature all the times and every single time I must look at the clip spec in metadata and type them in the format tab. Please.

Same here, I "create timelines" every time, and multiple time during my editing process.
I work with different framerate (and video resolution) all the time.

This could be solved by having just one checkbox to select (or having selected by default) to grab all the resolution, fps, etc of the clip. So both world could coexist
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Paul Griswold

PostSun Jan 28, 2024 9:19 pm

I realize this is an OLD thread, but I was searching for this exact subject and figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I'm not an old-time Resolve user, but an old time Fusion user (since the 1990's) and I currently teach a VFX class where I'm trying my best to include Resolve Studio / Fusion in my class as an alternative to After Effects.

In After Effects I emphasize over and over again - never create a blank composition and then import your footage because students routinely don't pay attention to the source footage and create a 1080p comp at 29.976 FPS then drop 3840x2160 footage at 23.976 fps into the comp and wonder what went wrong.

I always tell them, select your footage and then do, "new comp from selection" in After Effects. Then when we get to Resolve, it's a whole other story (which to students who've never used it is just 1 more stumbling block, leading them to just stick to Adobe's products instead).

I do not understand all the people going against this idea in Resolve. Leave everything exactly as it is, but have a drop-down that lets them create a timeline from selected media.

On top of that - WHY are the BMPCC standard formats NOT included in the new timeline option? For example, I'm teaching a class tomorrow with some stock BRAW files. They're 6155x3456 BRAW files. Yet there's nothing available in the new timeline options? Shouldn't every format a Blackmagic camera generates be available as a new timeline simply because it's a Blackmagic product? It doesn't matter what industry standard is or what the final output is going to be - it's what the camera shoots!

But that's another argument. Create timeline from selected media is a basic feature that absolutely should have been included years ago.

PG

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Paul Griswold wrote:I realize this is an OLD thread
That's OK. We still don't have the feature, so...keep voting for it folks. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

aramaizers

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 10:46 pm

+1

I don't understand the existence of create timeline from clip if the timeline specs dont match the clip.

It would be like in the old final cut 7. The first clip you dragged to the timeline (if the specs didn't match) you would get a message alerting this and an option to change the timeline (sequence in fcp7) to match the clip's specs. This would save lots of troubles and even simplify the need to check if everything matched.

Some people commented that the timeline should have the specs of project but for that you have the create new timeline comand.

Right now this command only is usefull if you want to put clips on a timeline (without any regard for theis specs). But that can easily be done by creating a timeline and dragging those clips in.

Its much more work, more demanding and more confusing to match timeline specs to clips specs, specially if the video clips are of more strange formats.

For instance, right now i am working on some sd (non square pixels) footage with surround sound and for some reason Davinci keeps on giving different info about it (mixing up stems on the surround, etc) if i had that command i could just start to edit and not to worry about that.

This is a very good idea and it was one of the best things in final cut

thank you.

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 3:12 pm

aramaizers wrote:I don't understand the existence of create timeline from clip if the timeline specs dont match the clip.

bigstock-Hammer-And-Nail-35420036.jpg
bigstock-Hammer-And-Nail-35420036.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 299 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

GfromIWI

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 10:36 am

Jim Simon wrote:
aramaizers wrote:I don't understand the existence of create timeline from clip if the timeline specs dont match the clip.

bigstock-Hammer-And-Nail-35420036.jpg

I also don't see the point, if the timeline settings are always the same as in the project settings, there is no advantage at all in this option (and even clutters the context menu for no good reason at all).
In Premiere for example, at least the timeline (sequence) gets created instantly and has the same name as the file you dragged onto the "new Object" icon. So at least you can create a timeline quickly for tests or something similar if you don't want to be bothered too much about the settings.

Plus creating a timeline from a file with the same settings also helps if you don't want to bother too much about the settings but want to make sure it's exactly the same as the recorded / file settings.

So ++1 for this feature request from me.

Pavle Milicevic

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 10:31 pm

+1
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests