Keyboard Shortcut Improvements

• Author

Jim Simon

Re: Keyboard Shortcut Improvements

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 3:58 pm

Alexandre Sadowsky wrote:Also, could we have different shotcuts for Tracking and Stabilize ?
Given the various adjustable parameters, how would these work?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 1:55 am

Want keyboard-mappable command for switch to last project
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=166875
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Neyghey

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 3:08 pm

i would like to map the three Buttons “Full Extent Zoom”, “Detail Zoom” and “Custom Zoom” to custom Keyboard shortcuts, please add this feature.

bluetoohfi

Re: Shortcut Improvements

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 3:53 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Thought of a new one I'd like to see.

Shortcuts for the Full Extent Zoom and Detail Zoom levels on the Edit page, along with adding those options to Fairlight and Deliver.

+1

Jim Simon

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 11:29 pm

Neyghey wrote:i would like to map the three Buttons “Full Extent Zoom”, “Detail Zoom” and “Custom Zoom” to custom Keyboard shortcuts, please add this feature.
I would use those.

A LOT!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

estebanjgarcia

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 5:11 pm

I would love a shortcut for "Position Lock" (and also a way to set it with Python and I know it is not the place to ask for this)

Matt.perrott

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 12:42 am

Fairlight - Lock Track Height.

Would be great to be able to have a key command to quickly set track heights for this!
Matt Perrott - Mighty Sound

DR Studio 18.x
Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB Ram - Ultra Studio 4k Mini, MTRX Studio / Digiface DANTE
MBP 16 Inch M1 Max 32GB Ram

Matt.perrott

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 12:45 am

Also, a key to show / hide tracks in the Fairlight Tracklist would be great. Currently, it is a mouse toggle over the eye only.

DR Studio 18.x

Matt.perrott

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 2:48 am

Also, need one urgently for Focus Tool in Fairlight page

DR Studio 18.x

jjsawdon

PostFri Jan 06, 2023 4:10 am

I recently learned about Alt+Up/Alt+Down to move the selected clips vertically between tracks. It'd be nice to have Alt+Shift+Up/Down copy clips vertically between tracks the way Alt+Shift+Drag does.
Online Editor & Scripter
GitHub: https://github.com/jjsawdon
IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5407671
System Specs: Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • macOS Monterey 12.6.8
  • 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
  • AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

David Cherniack

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 5:31 pm

PLEASE - KB shortcut for Render Cache Color Output in Color

The Edit Page shortcut doesn't work in Color and there is no way to add it in KB Prefs.
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 6:03 pm

Matt.perrott wrote:Also, a key to show / hide tracks in the Fairlight Tracklist would be great.
What if you have 32 tracks?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Philip B

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 8:10 pm

jjsawdon wrote:I recently learned about Alt+Up/Alt+Down to move the selected clips vertically between tracks. It'd be nice to have Alt+Shift+Up/Down copy clips vertically between tracks the way Alt+Shift+Drag does.

YES!! This would be so helpful for moving clips up or down several tracks without overwriting clips in between.
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 + 18.1.4
Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 (22631.2861)
ThinkPad P17 - i9-10885H 2.40GHz - 64.0 GB - 3840x2160
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 Max-Q - R545 U2 (546.01) Enterprise NFB
Intel UHD 31.0.101.2125
2 x Dell P3222QE - 3840x2160

Tekkerue

PostSat Jan 14, 2023 6:27 am

PhilB1234 wrote:
jjsawdon wrote:I recently learned about Alt+Up/Alt+Down to move the selected clips vertically between tracks. It'd be nice to have Alt+Shift+Up/Down copy clips vertically between tracks the way Alt+Shift+Drag does.

YES!! This would be so helpful for moving clips up or down several tracks without overwriting clips in between.

I don't think that would solve the problem of overwriting clips. What jjsawdon is talking about is making a copy of the clip instead of moving it, but the copy of the clip would still overwrite other clips in between.

To address the problem of overwriting clips, BMD could add Layered Video Editing just like they already have for Layered Audio Editing. Then stacking clips on top of each other (like when moving clips up or down several tracks with shortcuts) would not overwrite anything underneath it.

To enable this for audio:
Timeline -> Layered Audio Editing

You can also show the audio layers from the View menu:
View -> Show Audio Track Layers

I've noticed a couple problems with the Layered Editing, so some tweaks would have to be made to it first. It doesn't work with the shortcut keys (Alt+up/down arrow) at all because the audio clips are still overwritten. It also doesn't work correctly if the audio clips are linked to video clips because the audio clips can still be overwritten.

There is a very straightforward fix for this, just make sure the clip being moved always goes to the top layer over the other clip(s) instead of staying on the same layer and overwriting it. This would fix both problems. If you want the clip to go underneath, then you can manually move the clips around with the Show Layers (dragging up moves the clip up a layer and dragging down moves the clip down a layer). But by default, choosing the top layer makes the most sense.

In addition, I would also really like an Auto-crossfade mode, which would add a crossfade when clips overlap instead of overwriting. Having both Layered Editing and Auto-crossfade options would completely eliminate the problems of overwriting clips, which is one of my biggest complaints about Resolve.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Philip B

PostSat Jan 14, 2023 10:01 am

Hi Sean, sorry for the confusion - you're right, jjsawdon was talking about copying rather than moving. I actually just meant that moving items across tracks via ALT+UP/DOWN Resolve should not overwrite anything until the ALT key is let go.

The Layered Video Editing idea sounds wild (need to wrap my head around it).
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 + 18.1.4
Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 (22631.2861)
ThinkPad P17 - i9-10885H 2.40GHz - 64.0 GB - 3840x2160
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 Max-Q - R545 U2 (546.01) Enterprise NFB
Intel UHD 31.0.101.2125
2 x Dell P3222QE - 3840x2160

Tekkerue

PostSun Jan 15, 2023 3:19 am

PhilB1234 wrote:I actually just meant that moving items across tracks via ALT+UP/DOWN Resolve should not overwrite anything until the ALT key is let go.
+1 to that. Not overwriting until Alt is released would be a great feature to have as well.

The Layered Video Editing idea sounds wild (need to wrap my head around it).
As for Layered Video Editing, it's like having multiple tracks (called "Layers") on a single track. You can create a test project and then experiment with the Layered Audio Editing (only for audio tracks) to see how it works. The same idea would apply to video tracks as well.
Timeline -> Layered Audio Editing

Then show the audio layers from the View menu:
View -> Show Audio Track Layers

When both of those settings are enabled, you'll be able to see visually what it's doing. Try dragging audio clips on top of each other on the same track and you'll see they do not overwrite each other, but one clip will move up or down on the layers so all of the clips stay in tact. I came to Resolve from Vegas Pro and this is the way Vegas worked, the clips didn't overwrite each other and it was so much nicer to work with.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

jjsawdon

PostSun Jan 15, 2023 8:22 pm

Tekkerue wrote:+1 to that. Not overwriting until Alt is released would be a great feature to have as well.

Yeah, this is more like what I intended - I'm an online editor and often (temporarily) duplicate shots up tracks when dropping in new versions of VFX to maintain any keyframes, etc.

Normally there's an empty space anyways, so I'm not actually overwriting anything. I think with the current mouse behavior is similar - it'll look like it's overwriting until you release, but if you keep dragging it up to higher and higher tracks, it doesn't actually overwrite it. Something like that (where you could theoretically keep pressing "Up" to go higher and higher) would be useful.
Online Editor & Scripter
GitHub: https://github.com/jjsawdon
IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5407671
System Specs: Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • macOS Monterey 12.6.8
  • 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
  • AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

Nick Pair

PostFri Feb 24, 2023 7:25 pm

twainrichardson wrote:Would be great to be able to map the take selector to a keyboard shortcut, that way I could cycle through the different takes without having to open the take selector.

So say I click on a Take Selection I've created or hover the mouse over it, I could use Option UP/Down to cycle through. (or which ever keyboard shortcut I decide to map)(I also know there is a shortcut to open it, which I use , request is for ability to cycle through the takes)

Would also be great to be able to access it on the color page vs having to go back to the edit page. This is where the keyboard shortcut would come in really handy.

+1. The take selector would get a lot more use if switching between takes was easier. It would also be great if you could highlight a bunch of clips on the timeline and convert them to a take selector clip.

KTW_x18

PostSat Feb 25, 2023 4:52 am

I'd like to see a keyboard shortcut to stabilize footage. I use this feature dozens of times or more in an edit, and it would help if it just applied and analyzed based my previous settings to the clip.

fredocs

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 7:32 pm

I haven't read all the comments, but what I am still missing is a way to use all of my keyboard shortcuts when I am in Cinema Viewer mode using two monitors in Dual Screen Mode. Please let me do it!

AndrewHallNZ

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 3:56 am

I have two shortcut requests.

First I would love it if there were a way to mark certain shortcuts as favorites and to be able to view those in a list. It would really help me to build up my capacity to use shortcuts and would be particularly useful for people learning to use Resolve (like myself).

Second I would like to be able to create shortcuts to places in the menus which are not final destinations and hence do not have shortcuts. My main specific example would be to get to Workspace>Layout Presets and then to allow me to choose from the list. Extra good would be able to choose the specific preset as a shortcut or even to be able to choose to toggle between a couple but just getting to the menu position would be a useful step as would be the ability to get to other menu positions which cannot or do not have the capacity currently to be given a shortcut.

Cheers Andrew
Intel i9 12900F; Z690M DDR5 Desktop Motherboard; 64GB DDR5-4800; RTX3080 12GB GDDR6; Windows 11, Resolve Studio
https://www.youtube.com/@NewZealandBirdsNature

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 4:21 pm

fredocs wrote:what I am still missing is a way to use all of my keyboard shortcuts when I am in Cinema Viewer mode

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=120056
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Nick Pair

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 4:00 pm

Would love the ability to Select ALL clips under playhead. Also, select clips within In / out range.

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 16, 2023 5:25 pm

Nick Pair wrote:Select ALL clips under playhead.
Just got added in 18.5. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ralambda

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 9:43 pm

Looking for Grouping functions such as "Add Into Current Group", "Add Into New Group", and "Remove From Group" to be made available in Keyboard Customization. Or added to the top menu so they can be programmed through Mac OS or a Stream Deck.

Original post from November 2022:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=170535
Digital Imaging Technician

ralambda

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 9:44 pm

Additionally looking for Keyboard Shortcut or ability to create a keyboard shortcut for switching between Node views. For example: Group Pre-Clip, Clip, Group-Post Clip, Timeline
Digital Imaging Technician

Artemi

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 12:48 am

Would be great to have more shortcuts for the tools of Color page. There is Primaries/Log wheels and would be great to have for all other tools as well (Curves, Qualifier, Tracker, Camera Raw, Motion Effects and also switching HDR wheels left and right. )

likebliss

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 1:13 am

I don't know if it's been posted already, but my literally most-used shortcut from Premiere Pro doesn't exist in DaVinci Resolve.

"Move Playhead To Cursor"

I stumbled upon it by accident just browsing Premiere's keyboard shortcuts. It's one of those things that doesn't make sense until you try it. Then after it's gone, editing just feels SO SLOW.
System Specs: 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB

jeremyhunt@outlook.com

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 4:21 pm

Requesting ability for shortcut for stabilization. Very tedious having to mouse click each clip to apply stabilization.

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 24, 2023 10:14 pm

You know you can Stabilize multiple clips at once now, Jeremy? (In 18.5)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Nick Pair

PostTue Apr 25, 2023 4:18 am

likebliss wrote:I don't know if it's been posted already, but my literally most-used shortcut from Premiere Pro doesn't exist in DaVinci Resolve.

I stumbled upon it by accident just browsing Premiere's keyboard shortcuts. It's one of those things that doesn't make sense until you try it. Then after it's gone, editing just feels SO SLOW.

+1.

I ended up recreating it myself in autohotkey. Its a bit wonky but it works for now. Would love a native implementation.

Calai222

PostWed Apr 26, 2023 4:42 pm

Nick Pair wrote:
likebliss wrote:I don't know if it's been posted already, but my literally most-used shortcut from Premiere Pro doesn't exist in DaVinci Resolve.

+1.

I ended up recreating it myself in autohotkey. Its a bit wonky but it works for now. Would love a native implementation.

I've just download AutoHotkey and I've been watching tutorial and trying to learn it. Could you share that script with me?
TUF B450M | Ryzen 3800X | 32GB Fury @2400hz | GTX 1660 6GB | Logitech G502
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6 Windows 10

likebliss

PostThu Apr 27, 2023 5:28 pm

Calai222 wrote:
Nick Pair wrote:

+1.

I've just download AutoHotkey and I've been watching tutorial and trying to learn it. Could you share that script with me?

I found this on YouTube if you're using a Windows machine (it uses AutoHotKey)

I also found a Mac alternative that's been working fantastically for me!
System Specs: 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB

Alex Schead

PostWed May 10, 2023 2:08 am

Hello everyone!

I apologize if this is perhaps not the right place to post this because the shortcut does indeed exist, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it. And if it doesn't, then I'd love to leave my request.

Is it possible to assign a keyboard shortcut for this function found when you have Resolve color management set up, and then you right-click a video file either in your media pool or timeline:

resolve_screenshot.jpg
resolve_screenshot.jpg (93.08 KiB) Viewed 3661 times

Thanks, appreciate any help I can get on this.

Alex

Jim Simon

PostThu May 11, 2023 12:00 am

Not possible yet, Alex. This is the place to ask. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Alex Schead

PostFri May 12, 2023 12:35 am

Jim Simon wrote:Not possible yet, Alex. This is the place to ask. ;)

Awesome! Fingers crossed it's something the Blackmagic team can address sometime in the near future.

Thanks, Jim!

Marcin Kusnierz

PostMon May 15, 2023 3:35 pm

Hello, It was really nice to have an option for setting a shortcut for "Add Speed Point" function. When there is a lot of speed ramping to do, it would be a really time saver.

Ryan Bloomer

PostMon Jul 10, 2023 2:35 pm

I'd be great to have the ability to have a keyboard shortcut in Fairlight for "Focus Mode"

Pointer Mode and Range mode are already there, but not for Focus Mode

ustik86

PostFri Jul 14, 2023 2:02 pm

Cleanup node graph tree is something I use A LOT, and I want to bind it to a shortcut key.

Would be great to implement it in 18.5 stable.

Kudos to the developers, you are awesome!

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 15, 2023 2:44 pm

Ryan Bloomer wrote:a keyboard shortcut in Fairlight for "Focus Mode"
In the 18.5 beta, there are shortcuts for Focus Start and Focus End. They're unspecified by default, you have to map them manually.

That's something.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

IsraEliteMedia

PostWed Aug 02, 2023 6:03 am

Audio Transcription Shortcuts
Hoping that we can add this option to the keyboard customization in Davinci. Would speak up the workflow quite a bit as I am using "Transcribe Audio" command via mouse dozens of times per day.

Current workflow after highlighting clips in bin is
1-Right click-go down towards bottom
2-Select Audio Transcription - Select Transcribe

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

shinjin

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 7:11 am

Often when working with Animatics i do a lot of retiming, i would love to create a hotkey for "add speed point". Instead of hitting the small triangle and selecting add speed point.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=187160

AndrewKeil

PostTue Aug 29, 2023 9:47 am

IsraEliteMedia wrote:Audio Transcription Shortcuts
Hoping that we can add this option to the keyboard customization in Davinci. Would speak up the workflow quite a bit as I am using "Transcribe Audio" command via mouse dozens of times per day.

+1 Right now it's a bit of a clunky implementation, but it's a new feature so hopefully now we'll see more functionality added in the not too distant future.

oatbean

Please add Keyboard Shortcut for 'Audio Transcription'

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 2:20 am

Hi there,

As an editor and I'm regularly having to edit from scripts handed to me from producers who create these scripts using interview transcripts. (and my producers don't provide me timecode Plus, I'm a freelancer so my hands are kinda tied with regards to changing that workflow)

I love it that DR now allows us to now search transcripts but it seems that the only way to load a transcript from an individual clip int the Media Pool is to;

•Right Click on the clip
•Drag down 29 different menu items to "Audio Transcription"
•Pause for a fraction of a second
•Slide the mouse over to the right and select "Transcribe"

Clicking on the clip and hitting a keyboard shortcut to accomplish this would bring much welcomed relief. Pretty please! :)

Thanks!
Rob

p.s. I realize I dump all the clips into a timeline and transcribe that and search that timeline as 'a work-around' but having the option to do it with a keyboard shortcut would certainly be a better option for me. Thanks again!

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 3:45 am

Hi Robert

Just checking if you are aware of the transcribe icon on the media pool header?

Regards
Shrinivas

pcvcasal

PostSat Sep 30, 2023 2:13 pm

+1 to the ability of assign a shortcut to the stabilize buttonImage

Enviado desde mi Note 11S mediante Tapatalk

Norbert339

PostSat Sep 30, 2023 3:29 pm

I think the ability to use scroll optionally for different purposes would be a nice to have. For ex. I like to zoom in where the play head is and I have to hold a plus key for that now.

Jim Simon

PostSat Sep 30, 2023 4:52 pm

Norbert339 wrote:I think the ability to use scroll optionally for different purposes would be a nice to have.
That would be more of a mouse issue. There is a separate thread on that topic.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=127347
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

jackzucker2000

PostSun Oct 08, 2023 11:41 am

please add a shortcut / keyword for Add Speed point

Calai222

PostTue Oct 17, 2023 7:52 pm

Norbert339 wrote:I think the ability to use scroll optionally for different purposes would be a nice to have. For ex. I like to zoom in where the play head is and I have to hold a plus key for that now.

You hold ALT for that
TUF B450M | Ryzen 3800X | 32GB Fury @2400hz | GTX 1660 6GB | Logitech G502
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6 Windows 10
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests