Scrolling text needs a line spacing option

• Author

filmmaker

Scrolling text needs a line spacing option

PostThu May 26, 2022 11:54 pm

I request that Scrolling text has the line spacing option just like simple text does.

This would allow the user to create end titles in which there are separate left and right text elements, where the left scrolling text is a smaller font size than the right scrolling text, and they left and right can be made to line up to the right scrolling larger text by adjusting the left scrolling text spacing.

The result would be that END Credits as seen in many standard Hollywood films could have characters and crew titles on the left in a smaller size font, and the actual given names of the characters and crew on the right side in a larger / different style font.

I suspect the only way to achieve a similar result now is to create separate basic text elements (Left and Right) with different sizes/spacings, and then animate this by using a keyed Y offset.

Better still would be a new type of scrolling text tool designed specifically for these types of titles, that let you set the font size and other attributes for the Left and Right sides of text separately, and the scrolling and alignment of the left side would be automatic, only needing the user to set the the vertical alignment as Center, Top, or Bottom.

Thanks.

Jim Simon

Re: Scrolling text needs a line spacing option

PostMon May 30, 2022 6:32 pm

I've always found this easier to do in a photo editor and keyframe the resulting image to simulate a scroll.

So...yeah, adding all the necessary features to create a proper scrolling end title would be welcome.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mixolyd

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 9:35 pm

I second this request. Not sure why FCP has this simple option but a powerful program like Resolve doesn't.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 1:19 am

filmmaker wrote:I request that Scrolling text has the line spacing option just like simple text does.

I've been saying for some time that I think the entire Resolve edit page Text tool needs to be ripped out and rebuilt so that we can actually do "real" end title credit crawls and all that other stuff. This is for very basic stuff where Fusion would be overkill, kind of like the titlers built into Final Cut Pro, Avid, Premiere, and so on. (Although the legion of complaints about Avid's Title+ are alarming.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rNeil H

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 4:41 am

Marc, so true!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 5:32 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
filmmaker wrote:I request that Scrolling text has the line spacing option just like simple text does.

I've been saying for some time that I think the entire Resolve edit page Text tool needs to be ripped out and rebuilt so that we can actually do "real" end title credit crawls and all that other stuff. This is for very basic stuff where Fusion would be overkill, kind of like the titlers built into Final Cut Pro, Avid, Premiere, and so on. (Although the legion of complaints about Avid's Title+ are alarming.)

Totally agree. I’m not sure when this will ever happen.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

SkierEvans

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 12:32 pm

Yes it would be nice to have a simple way of doing scrolling text. It took me a while to learn how to do smooth scrolling text in Fusion and now do everything in Fusion with templates I have saved. That way you can change fonts, sizes position etc. Yes it is at first confusing. I learn from this

Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests