Rename keywords

• Author

Ulrich W

Rename keywords

PostSun Feb 26, 2023 10:32 pm

The reference manual explains: "To edit a keyword:
Double-click any keyword to make it editable, then edit it as you would any other piece of text, and
press Return to make it a graphical keyword tag again."

However this procedure does *not* actually edit the keyword itself, but the keyword assigned.

What I'm looking for is a way to rename a keyword, updating it everywhere it is used (assuming it's not used already). Preferably that would work on all projects in the same library (assuming the keywords are stored there and not globally).

Why I would like that? I starting with "sub-optimal" naming of my keywords, and I'd like to improve the naming for consistency.

For example I created a keyword "4K" to mark "4K clips", but eventually I'd prefer something like "res-4K" instead.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom also features keywords, and there I can easily edit keywords, and then the names are updated in the database, so all shots use the updated keyword name...

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Rename keywords

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 4:08 am

While not explicitly meant for this, you can use the automatic keyword smart bin to save a few steps.

1. Enable the smart bin in Preferences > User > Editing
Keyword smart bin.png
Keyword smart bin.png (37.47 KiB) Viewed 457 times

2. Select the smart bin for the keyword you want to edit. The clips using this keyword are filtered for you.
3. Select all clips. The metadata view (incl Keywords) goes to a multi-clip edit mode, in which the common keywords are shown.
4. You can double click a keyword to edit it, and see a new keyword bin created.
editing keyword for multiple clips.png
editing keyword for multiple clips.png (168.41 KiB) Viewed 457 times

Side notes:
a. If there are other keywords for individual clips, a "..." entry is also shown. The "..." entry cannot be edited, and deleting it sets all clips to exclusively the keywords the selected clips, i.e. removing other keywords.
b. Like other media property changes, this action can be undone. Resolve retains the old keyword and the empty smart bin for the session. Closing and reloading the project will refresh smart bins.

Ulrich W

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 8:17 pm

And is there a way to get rid of the old keyword? I also had misspelled a keyword once, and now the misspelled one is also suggested whenever I enter some specific letters...

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 3:01 am

Workspace > Keyword dictionary

Ulrich W

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 9:09 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Workspace > Keyword dictionary

Thanks for pointing that out. I also found Export and Import, and when trying export I see that it's a simple plain list of words. If it were a table like (keyword_id, keyword_text), then it would be easy to rename keywords.

I think Resolve could be really better there.
Last edited by Ulrich W on Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 pm

Good idea. This would match the way Resolve currently handles Metadata.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

kalain

PostSun May 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Workspace > Keyword dictionary

Maybe some more informations could be added in page 326 (Oct 2022 Reference Manual) about where to manage keyword list.
I have read this page but didn't found such information until to find this post.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests