Standalone delivery module to DaVinci Resolve

• Author

edouardjeanjean

PostThu May 25, 2023 3:15 pm

Hello,

Would it be possible to extract the DaVinci Resolve delivery module to make it into a standalone application?

As we use DaVinci Resolve all the time we can no longer use the program when a render is in progress.

The ideal would be to make a standalone application that render in the background. A bit like Adobe Media Encoder.

Thank you very much

royalawo

Re: Standalone delivery module to DaVinci Resolve

PostFri May 26, 2023 12:38 pm

Thanks for this request.

I have failing in love with Davinci Resolve as it is now my most preferred editing software.

I also thought If Blackmagic can design a standalone encoder will make it possible to continue editing while encoding of queued project is in progress.

Developer team, Please consider this.
Love from Nigeria.
Thanks!

Lucas D.

PostSat May 27, 2023 1:56 am

I can't tell you how disappointed I'm at the delivery page being the same in every release. Nothing has changed ( yes we get new codecs all the time, which I'm very very thankful ) for a very very long time.
Delivery page needs to be re-build from ground up, its seriously lacking development when comparing to other pages , delivery page needs lots of TLC from BMD team. :D
With that said I don't think BMD will ever break up resolve into separate modules.
Its not their motto, this is all in one application ( yeah they got proxy gen. BUT its not a room within resolve ).
Few examples of whats needed :
-more space for very long names
-jobs in queue can be color coded, can be put into folders, queue can be exported, jobs can be moved around, since we have a timeline let me mute channels on delivery page,
maybe copy paste job properties from one to the other, and lots more.
Last edited by Lucas D. on Mon May 29, 2023 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8cores @ 3.6 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080ti
48.0 GB of RAM
Resolve Studio v19 Beta1

Olivier MATHIEU

PostSun May 28, 2023 10:50 am

We need to be abbey to keep working during Rendering
with either slow real time working OR slow rendering
let BlackMagicDesign Dev Team implement it their way ;)
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Jim Simon

PostSun May 28, 2023 2:07 pm

Given that a system has finite resources, and we want them all for either working or rendering, I don't believe this idea would be all that useful.

A render farm would be a better approach to solving the underlying issue, I think.

I vote no.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostSun May 28, 2023 2:29 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Given that a system has finite resources, and we want them all for either working or rendering

You've just defined Final Cut Pro X background rendering Engine :D
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Marc Wielage

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:47 am

edouardjeanjean wrote:Would it be possible to extract the DaVinci Resolve delivery module to make it into a standalone application?

We created this functionality at our office by having 3 machines running Resolve in the same room. One system is just used for color (and test renders); the other is used for conforming and occasional uploads; and the third is for rendering. We have a fourth system just used for the PostgreSQL server, so we can share projects across multiple machines.

I can tell you that while rival programs like Baselight can do background rendering on the same machine, the reality is that system performance goes way, way down, like playback down to 8fps for something when a render is going on at the same time. So... be careful what you wish for.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Vit Reiter

PostMon May 29, 2023 10:06 am

I think better solution is the possibility to work during rendering, stop or pause rendering for the one job and move the order of jobs in the queue.

External app is not necessary.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

carlomacchiavello

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:33 pm

Resolve use tons of VRAM to calculate and render, if you use it to render how could you run resolve and edit?
Like for 3d render I prefer to do a queue and render later or render on other computer.
The real problem in your idea is vram which is so expansive and precious under Resolve engine.

If you under Mac you can run two instance of resolve with a simple trick, one to work, one to render out, but I don’t know if it’s safe to do.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Olivier MATHIEU

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:58 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:Resolve use tons of VRAM to calculate and render, if you use it to render how could you run resolve and edit?

May be Apple Silicon's Unified Memory can easily have 2" VRAMs" one for working, one for Rendering.

Again Since 2011 Final Cut Pro X does background Rendering (Take advantage of all little pauses). Swapping RAM&VRAm doesn't seem to be problematic
MacbookPro M2 Max

carlomacchiavello

PostMon May 29, 2023 2:30 pm

Olivier MATHIEU wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:Resolve use tons of VRAM to calculate and render, if you use it to render how could you run resolve and edit?

May be Apple Silicon's Unified Memory can easily have 2" VRAMs" one for working, one for Rendering.

Again Since 2011 Final Cut Pro X does background Rendering (Take advantage of all little pauses). Swapping RAM&VRAm doesn't seem to be problematic

you are Right
A 3d Engine called Octane render use the techniques of Out of core render to use ram when it use all Vram of videcard, that allow me to render out 8k render with GPU that had only 6gb of ram with gazillion of polygons under win and under mac, is the software to do the difference.

I would like to see Resolve use this Out of Core tech to enable me to render with a simple 6gb GPU high complex project on my 96gb ram Os, i suggested this feature request many years ago.

If i should choose between spent more money on a GPU or ability to use my less expansive ram at the cost of a bit less performance (we talk about ddr4 or ddr5 performance), i ever choose the second :-P

Santiago

PostMon May 29, 2023 8:10 pm

I think it's it good idea to make a standalone module for delivery. Maybe just add some features. The possibility to add jobs from different projects.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

edouardjeanjean

PostWed May 31, 2023 11:08 am

Santiago wrote:I think it's it good idea to make a standalone module for delivery. Maybe just add some features. The possibility to add jobs from different projects.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

In the job list, on the "..." you have the "Show All Projects" option.

edouardjeanjean

PostWed May 31, 2023 11:15 am

I agree with your answers: when exporting, it must be possible to use all the machine's resources for rendering.

In our case, we don't know how to have more machines.
As a deliverie-man, I work with a renderer to do all deliveries, so not directly from rushes.
I'm currently using another software package for deliveries, because it's too painful not to be able to prepare an export timeline while a render is in progress.
Example : During a render, we have to check for audio, a textless, etc...
Having this feature would be a great help.

Blackmagic has already done something similar for editing proxies, but we can't use them because the options are too limited. We sometimes have to add a LUT or even a pre-grade and we can't do it via the proxy module.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests