Search by Keywords in Media Storage panel

• Author

kalain

Search by Keywords in Media Storage panel

PostSun May 28, 2023 8:24 pm

Hi,
It would be nice to be able to search clips by keywords in Media Storage panel.

Would be quite powerfull to find some 'forgotten' clips.

Andy Mees

Re: Search by Keywords in Media Storage panel

PostMon May 29, 2023 8:44 am

The Media Storage panel provides an external (not project based) view of available media on disk.
Resolve's Keywords exist only as part of a project ie media needs to be added to a project before Keywords can be applied... such media would be searchable (via keywords etc) from the project's Media Pool panel, not the Media Storage panel.

What it sound like you are asking for is effectively an integrated Media Asset Management system.
Such systems already exist that function in Resolve through its Workflow Integration API.
https://www.emamsolutions.com/tech_part ... i-resolve/
https://www.studionetworksolutions.com/sharebrowser/
https://www.rossvideo.com/content-manag ... nexchange/
https://editshare.com/products/flow-media-management/

kinvermark

PostMon May 29, 2023 3:15 pm

+1 for making Resolve's "media storage panel" into a DAM / MAM.

The hard work of media playback, scrubbing, and metadata handling has already been done, just needs to be implemented above/before the project level - as mentioned by Andy Mees. I think this can be achieved by using the same method as KYNO, i.e. tiny metadata files written into hidden subfolders located with the media (thus no need to alter the original media files.)

No doubt some caching scheme would also be needed to manage a library of many thousands of files & thumbnails.

There are enterprise level solutions for this but AFAIK no good options for single editors / small teams. KYNO is good, but end-of-life now :(
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

kalain

PostMon May 29, 2023 4:31 pm

kinvermark wrote:The hard work of media playback, scrubbing, and metadata handling has already been done, just needs to be implemented above/before the project level.
Yes, by now keywords you've assigned inside a project are not available before to start another project or even inside another project !!!
Efforts done by assigning keywords (inside DVR) should be available at any step inside DVR. (above/before project and inside another project.)

kinvermark wrote:I think this can be achieved by using the same method as KYNO, i.e. tiny metadata files written into hidden subfolders located with the media (thus no need to alter the original media files.)
Well, just use same DVR database with path location, clip name and keywords in order to find clip again by keywords searching.
Yes, getting closer and closer to a DAM.

I will still keep using my DAM (using IPTC) to search footage and drad them inside media pool.

kinvermark

PostMon May 29, 2023 4:53 pm

kinvermark wrote:Well, just use same DVR database with path location, clip name and keywords in order to find clip again by keywords searching.

Maybe, but intuitively it seems like using the same architecture as for projects would get bogged down if you had an entire library of thousands of clips. Also, what happens if you move a folder of files? KYNO would just pick up the tiny metadata folder moved with the files and re-cache.

I suppose you could test your theory by making a test project and dragging in a large group of file folders representing your "library" and see how it behaves & performs.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests