Don't play timeline before audio can be heard.

• Author

Norbert339

Don't play timeline before audio can be heard.

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 11:06 am

Voice Isolation is annoying that there is no sound directly after I hit play on Edit page, it takes a few seconds to process it.

justedit

Re: Don't play timeline before audio can be heard.

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 3:55 pm

+1
ARNAUD AUGST
Post-production
www.just-edit.fr

Gabriel Passarelli

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 6:55 pm

+1. I think we should even get an option to only start playback when it is garanteed that the image is in sync with the audio. Resolve audio and video playback seems to be two completely separate instances that work as they want.

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 7:47 pm

voice isolation is really cool and i thought i was going to use it a lot, but i eventually still bought izotope RX. it's just faster, more flexible and more reliable.

Philipp Glaninger

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 10:45 pm

Gabriel Passarelli wrote:+1. I think we should even get an option to only start playback when it is garanteed that the image is in sync with the audio. Resolve audio and video playback seems to be two completely separate instances that work as they want.

Uh, that is so true. I had clients next to me who were quite upset once and thought that I had messed up their AAF based Timeline. The mood in the room was not good after that, and it kept on happening at random. The de-sync might be more an issue on complex 1hour+ projects, since I do not experience it that often in shorter promotion Timelines with less than 5min content (except if I use voice Isolation).
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

AndrewKeil

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 12:20 am

+1

This has become a big problem since voice isolation and dialogue leveller arrived. I’m glad these tools exist (even if the former is far more effective than the latter imo) but the trade off can’t be needing to do a manual 2-3sec pre-roll.

I think we need to demand more than delayed playback, that in itself is a huge pita, we’re talking about a cornerstone command, one that is performed countless times in a session. I can’t see clients being any more patient with constant delayed playback as they would be with dropped audio. We shouldn’t have to explain a drawback to other people in the room.

I usually bounce dialogue tracks to get around this, but that again feels like an unnecessary workaround. Especially since caching audio effects is both a manual process requiring selection of clips and doesn’t seem to make any difference anyway.

Perhaps someone with more programming knowledge/DAW experience could shed some light on why audio tracks can’t be cached in the same way?

Finally to sneak in a feature request at the tail of this whining, perhaps an audio render bar would help?

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 12:39 am

I'll point out that even with heavy-duty software like iZotope or Acon Extract Dialogue, you basically have to cache the effect before you can hear it in real-time. What happens if you apply a render cache to these Fairlight effects?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 2:30 pm

I'm not a fan of this because the audio and video don't sync up properly. I would rather have the audio lagging slightly than the video not playing at all when I hit the play button.

Instead, I would prefer if BMD focused on improving the audio effects and making them work as seamlessly as they do in DAWs (they are instant, even with the heavy duty ones).

For instance, NVIDIA Broadcast doesn't introduce any noticeable delay when removing background noise in real-time.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Håkon Broder Lund

PostTue May 30, 2023 12:16 pm

The simple solution of this would be that Resolve cache the audio like it can do with smart cache. That way it only has to render it once and not have to re encode the audio every time. Ideally even render it in background when you enable the effect and not on playback so it is ready instantly as I want to be able to edit with it enabled.
Camera: UMP | P6K Pro | P4K | Canon R5 | Many EF and RF lenses
Computer: 3960X | 128GB RAM | 1080Ti
Remote: Top spec MBP 2015

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostTue May 30, 2023 3:25 pm

Håkon Broder Lund wrote:The simple solution of this would be that Resolve cache the audio like it can do with smart cache. That way it only has to render it once and not have to re encode the audio every time. Ideally even render it in background when you enable the effect and not on playback so it is ready instantly as I want to be able to edit with it enabled.

That's a good idea.
Even caching the first 5 secs would be enough, because when it starts to play, Resolve can catch up quickly like it does now (without the initial "lag")
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Hard Is Easy

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:22 pm

+1 I'm finding my self the need to play before the actual clip starts to hear the beginning of the clip

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests