have more than one subtitle track active

• Author

NicWassell

have more than one subtitle track active

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 11:08 am

I've been editing a short dance film and have run into a problem with doing captioning. They want creative subtitles rather than everything looking the same - nothing crazy, just different colour combinations for different voices. The problem is that 'customise caption' doesn't give access to the full subtitle appearance controls, specifically Stroke. Two of the subtitle styles have a black stroke but the third does not. But as the stroke control is only on the 'track' page, it either effects all of them or none. So I've created two tracks to accommodate the different styles, only to find I can't have more than one subtitle track active at a time.

I can see why this would be, to prevent mistakes where multiple tracks get enabled and you end up with the same line overlapping in different languages. But it would be useful at least to have a check box in preferences to allow one to override this if preferred. Or on the other hand, why not allow 'customise caption' to customise all of the options (Stroke, Background, Drop Shadow) instead of just a few? In the end I had to export different versions of the film, each with a different track enabled, and then splice them together.

If anyone has a better technique of course, please let me know!

Thanks

Ugo Laurenti

Re: Feature request - have more than one subtitle track acti

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 11:15 am

Subtitle Regions, page 1029 of the 18.5 manual.
PC Gigabyte z390, i9-9900k 3,6MHz,32Gb, Zotac 1080ti, Decklink MiniMonitor, Eizo CG2420 Windows10Pro, Resolve Studio 18.5.1, Tangent Element Panel Kit, MB Air m1.

Olordy

Re: have more than one subtitle track active

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 3:00 am

I built a plugin (which is free) which converts subtitle track to text+ - this could allow you the creativity you need. - Look up Snap Captions Resolve on Youtube

NicWassell

Re: Feature request - have more than one subtitle track acti

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 8:17 am

Ugo Laurenti wrote:Subtitle Regions, page 1029 of the 18.5 manual.

Thank you! Perfect! Slightly embarrassing that the answer was 'read the manual' but thank you for pointing me to the answer!

Norbert339

Re: have more than one subtitle track active

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 10:55 am

Thank you NicWassell

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests