Clip Locking

• Author

cire30a

Clip Locking

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 10:38 am

Would like to be able to Clip lock so i can lock a clip which stops it from being cut so when doing inserts i could lock a music track or audio track and insert broll or other segments. This would be done with right clicking and a keyboard shorcut. also clip will have a darkened boarder around to show its been locked.

a toggle button could be helpful too for it.

Track locking isnt as useful because then everything will be out of sync.

Jim Simon

Re: Clip Locking

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 3:26 pm

How does locking a track make things go out of sync?

cire30a

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 4:17 pm

when a track is locked it locks all music and audio in that track. So if i lock a track that is the music track, or the interviewie track, if i insert a section the music will get out of sync down the line, or the music will get out of sync. currently i insert if the tracks not locked and then pull the music track back together and delete the joined cut.

i use the tracks and busses in fairlight to add the audio effect on track basis.

Kenzo

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 4:41 pm

I always (not only on Resolve but Avid and Premiere too) use additional unsync "trash" track, when edit with music in the middle of the project, simply drop music clip on this track, when finish pick up it back. ;)

cire30a

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 4:44 pm

still an extra step. i think a hot key to 'lock clip' will be very well recieved and stand out from premiere.

Kenzo

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Really? I must select clip and drop down, after edit, select clip and put up, in your idea you must select clip and lock it, after edit select clip and unlock. ;)

cire30a

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 5:07 pm

and unlock the track and relock the track. Its much easier to lock a clip, and leave it locked and not worry about tracks. Also for video clips, not just audio. it allows this clip to not be changed, but its postion can be.

Kenzo

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 5:19 pm

I don't lock track only unsync it but I understand your idea but I think it's not "must have" feature.

cire30a

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 5:25 pm

unsyncing and not locking track does not prevent an insert edit from effecting the clip? so we are talking about different uses. they already have the position lock, which locks all tracks. Clip locking would be very useful to lots of people who use ripple cut and insert for moving sections around.

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 3:09 pm

cire30a wrote:if i insert a section the music will get out of sync down the line

I'm still not understanding. If you want things to shift, why are you locking the track?

cire30a

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 4:26 pm

when using through cut and ripple cut followed by paste insert, depending on where i paste it and where i cut it, i wouldnt want the music track to be changed or other audio tracks or adjustment layers also. either from the location im cutting or the location im pasting. Would like to individually lock certain clips to avoid messing with where im inserting it. but i do want everything thats not directly in the area im inserting to be effected approximitly.

If Blackmagic has any questions im happy to make a screen capture to show and discuss.

Jim Simon

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 pm

What's a "through cut"?

Jim Simon

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 6:32 pm

cire30a wrote:i do want everything thats not directly in the area im inserting to be effected approximitly.

So put them on different tracks.

cire30a

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 7:59 pm

maybe i made up the term but through cut is what i call a cut everything beneath the playhead, all tracks that arent locked.

For my workflow, which is very fast, being able to lock an adjustment clip, or a music track would be a huge benefit.

David Skok

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:24 am

@cire30a - I have exactly the same feature request, and have detailed why it is so valuable to an editor in the post that is called "Lock Clip - FEATURE REQUEST that would transform Resolve". Please can I ask you to find that post, and add your support for the feature request.

Here is an explanation of why it is needed: To explain why this feature is so valuable, particularly to users of FCP X who are used to the power of the Magnetic timeline, let me give you an example: Say I am editing a film that has in intro with music, and a middle section with several clips that is also set to music, and then later on an ending series of clips that are also set to music. In Resolve today, to both keep the music synced to the right set of clips, I will have to place each piece of music on its own track, and then when I am editing clips in the first segment, I will have to remember to turn on the Edit selector for the later two music tracks (to keep them linked to their section), and turn off the Edit selector for the first music track (to avoid it being chopped up when I edit clips above it.) But as I move to make edits in the second section, I have to remember to turn off the Edit Selector for that 2nd piece of music, otherwise it will get chopped up as I edit the clips above it. And if I start editing in the starting section, I will have to remember to turn off the first music track's Edit Selector, and turn back on the 2nd music track's edit selector. This is a HUGE pain in the backside, and doesn't happen with the Magnetic timeline in FCP X. The simple solution to the problem is to allow me to lock the clips (not the tracks) that contain the music, and now I can forget about turning on and off the Edit Selectors as I move around the timeline.

Since almost all movies use music that no one wants to see chopped up, I have to believe that this problem exists for every editor, and in pretty much every project. So a highly valuable and transformative feature, and probably fairly easy to implement. It would also add enormously to the Cut page, as if you link a music track to a clip and edit in the Cut Page, you won't know that you are accidentally chopping up that music when you make edits in the Cut Page (yes - this has happened to me).

David Skok

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:28 am

@jim simon @cire30a - I very strongly understand where @cire30a is coming from, and don't believe you have fully understood why this feature is needed and is so powerful. Here is an example of why it is needed:

Say I am editing a film that has in intro with music, and a middle section with several clips that is also set to music, and then later on an ending series of clips that are also set to music. In Resolve today, to both keep the music synced to the right set of clips, I will have to place each piece of music on its own track, and then when I am editing clips in the first segment, I will have to remember to turn on the Edit selector for the later two music tracks (to keep them linked to their section), and turn off the Edit selector for the first music track (to avoid it being chopped up when I edit clips above it.) But as I move to make edits in the second section, I have to remember to turn off the Edit Selector for that 2nd piece of music, otherwise it will get chopped up as I edit the clips above it. And if I start editing in the starting section, I will have to remember to turn off the first music track's Edit Selector, and turn back on the 2nd music track's edit selector. This is a HUGE pain in the backside, and doesn't happen with the Magnetic timeline in FCP X. The simple solution to the problem is to allow me to lock the clips (not the tracks) that contain the music, and now I can forget about turning on and off the Edit Selectors as I move around the timeline.

Since almost all movies use music that no one wants to see chopped up, I have to believe that this problem exists for every editor, and in pretty much every project. So a highly valuable and transformative feature, and probably fairly easy to implement. It would also add enormously to the Cut page, as if you link a music track to a clip and edit in the Cut Page, you won't know that you are accidentally chopping up that music when you make edits in the Cut Page (yes - this has happened to me).

I have posted a Feature Request that is titled: "Lock Clip - FEATURE REQUEST that would transform Resolve". Please can I ask you to find that post and support the request so that it has a higher chance of being implemented.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests