playhead to go to previous edit ignoring highlight

• Author

cire30a

playhead to go to previous edit ignoring highlight

PostSun Oct 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Currently playhead doesnt go back previous edit from its location it goes by the highlighted clip. would like it if i put the playhead somewhere, previous and forward edit should go in relation to the playheads location

Jim Simon

Re: playhead to go to previous edit ignoring highlight

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Say what now?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 4:12 pm

It's a long-standing complaint -- when a clip or transition is selected in the timeline, next/previous playhead commands are relative to that selection, and the selection moves with the playhead. It's a sometimes useful feature (particularly when selecting multiple transitions on stacked clips) but, on balance, I'd say it's an encumbrance.

I get around it with auto-hotkey routines, mapping up/down, to "deslect-all", *then* up/down, and a switch to turn this feature on and off.

brediknight

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 1:33 am

this is particularly cumbersome when adjusting keyframes on a clip. Since the clip is highlighted, in order to go back and forth to the first and last frames you have to deselect.

yes. there needs to be a global next edit prev edit regardless of tracks or clips selected.

Jim Simon

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 7:24 pm

Now I get it.

The problem here is that Previous/Next Edit and Previous/Next Clip share the same shortcuts.

They need to be separated on the Edit page. The Up/Down arrows should always be Previous/Next Edit (on the Edit page), regardless of selection.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

brediknight

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Now I get it.

The problem here is that Previous/Next Edit and Previous/Next Clip share the same shortcuts.

They need to be separated on the Edit page. The Up/Down arrows should always be Previous/Next Edit (on the Edit page), regardless of selection.

Yep. Exactly. Its amazing how something like this can disrupt a workflow so much.
Something this simple might be one of my top feature requests.

John Paines

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 2:09 pm

You guys lost me here. When nothing is selected on the timeline, next clip/next edit commands are the same thing. There's no way to distinguish between them.

When either a clip or a cut *is* selected on the timeline, the issue is the behavior of the playhead, and the persistence of the selection in Resolve. While other NLEs typically ignore a selected clip, and movement is always relative to current playhead position, the Resolve playhead jumps to that clip with a next/previous command and moves the selection with it. In most cases, this is unwanted behavior, though it does have its uses when, for example, altering Inspector data or editing subtitles, one clip after the other.

With selected cuts, it get more complicated because the current behavior is often desirable, as a way of avoiding manually selecting multiple transitions of stacked clips (persistent selection eliminates the need to do that).

Jim Simon

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 4:53 pm

The call here is to fully separate the shortcuts such that Up/Down Arrow always act as Previous/Next Edit, without regard to selection, while Previous/Next Clip get their own dedicated shortcuts.

Maybe Arrows with a modifier.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Skiess

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 2:22 pm

I thought this was a bug... Very strange choice and very annoying.

There should indeed be a new shortcut option to always go to the previous edit and not suddenly to a previous clip instead, if a clip is selected.

I have added a deselect shortcut so I can deselect with the same hand quickly before jumping cuts.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests