Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

• Author

deezid

Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Pretty much the only feature missing on the Studio version on Linux.
Right now have to treat AAC audio inside mov or mp4 files (convert to pcm wav) before I can open it inside Davinci Resolve which is a huge bummer.

Also MP4 support with Audio is basically impossible due to the missing AAC encoder.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

Re: Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 pm

It'd be nice if there were an additional "Codec Pack" available for the Studio version that would include ProRes (for Windows), x264 (commercial) and other such things. It would be a paid option to cover the licensing fees, and allow proper software codecs, rather than relying upon the often limited options provided by the OS and GPU.

Such a Codec Pack would level the playing field across all three platforms, as well as provide some much needed options not currently available.

Trensharo

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 am

Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

Things are different on Linux, though.

That being said, when I used to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux | Workstation, they would distribute all of these CODECs with the system out of the box. Everything just worked, the same way it does on Windows 10 or macOS. Maybe they should support only Enterprise Distros that ship with these CODECs out of the box (i.e. the cost of the CODEC license is in the cost of the OS purchase/subscription)?

Still wouldn't fix the "ProRes issue," though it would handle cases like H.264/HEVC and AAC.
Code: Select all
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X       | AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
32GB DDR4 RAM           | 1 x NVMe + 2 x SATA3 SSD
Windows 10 Professional | DaVinci Resolve Studio 16

OS, Software, and Drivers always kept up-to-date.

deezid

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

That being said, when I used to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux | Workstation, they would distribute all of these CODECs with the system out of the box. Everything just worked, the same way it does on Windows 10 or macOS. Maybe they should support only Enterprise Distros that ship with these CODECs out of the box (i.e. the cost of the CODEC license is in the cost of the OS purchase/subscription)?

Still wouldn't fix the "ProRes issue," though it would handle cases like H.264/HEVC and AAC.

I think most distributions are equipped with ffmpeg nowadays anyway. So AAC en- and decoding shouldn't be an issue?

Right now the MP4 export is pretty much useless without audio lol

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide.

It's not good enough, though. That's why I think a paid option to add more/better codecs for Studio would be a good idea.

VennStone

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 8:26 am

AAC encoding in the Studio version would be a welcome addition on Linux.

If I could get that, Ut Video support, and the ability to use my Xtouch control surface life would be good.
Debian 9 / 10
Threadripper 1920X
NVIDIA 2060
Intensity Pro
Intensity Pro 4K
DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K
DeckLink Quad HDMI

canezila

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 pm

deezid wrote:
Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

I think most distributions are equipped with ffmpeg nowadays anyway. So AAC en- and decoding shouldn't be an issue?

This answers why I am having issues with all audio encoded MP4s on Studo via Linux. And I agree with deezid points.

deezid

PostSat Nov 30, 2019 2:24 pm

canezila wrote:
deezid wrote:

This answers why I am having issues with all audio encoded MP4s on Studo via Linux. And I agree with deezid points.

No audio, right?
Greyed out when exporting MP4 lol

deezid

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 10:42 pm

16.1.2 Studio still without AAC de-/encoding support.

markhimsley

PostSun Feb 09, 2020 3:30 pm

I asked Peter Chamberlain in an email chain "why AAC is not an acceptable CODEC on Linux" and he replied that "the simple answer is due to licensing".

It seems strange to me that AAC can't be licensed in DR Studio when h.264 and ProRes can.
--
Mark Himsley
ATEM Mini
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.2.1.017
Intensity Pro 4K Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS Intel Core i7-2600 CPU + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
UltraStudio 3D macOS 10.15 Catalina

theskipper

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 6:09 am

so there is no workaround for AAC on Linux even for Studio??

this is a huge bummer. shame on me for not checking before purchasing a Studio license, but also I mean come on... it's audio decoding, I would not have thought it would be an issue. my GoPro footage has AAC inside the MP4s :( at least the Sony camera works w/o intermediate re-encoding now, but this means my workflow is still annoying until i can rely on Studio to consistently read all footage

DavidS42

PostWed May 13, 2020 10:05 am

oof :-/ :cry: this is really disappointing after having spent a good chunk of money on the Studio Version.

If I'm lucky, I can still get a refund. If I need to re-encode anyways, I don't need the Studio license either.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 2:22 pm

markhimsley wrote:I asked Peter Chamberlain in an email chain "why AAC is not an acceptable CODEC on Linux" and he replied that "the simple answer is due to licensing".

It seems strange to me that AAC can't be licensed in DR Studio when h.264 and ProRes can.

Licensing ProRes costs nothing.
With AAC it's different:

"No licenses or payments are required for a user to stream or distribute content in AAC format.[48] This reason alone might have made AAC a more attractive format to distribute content than its predecessor MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio) depending on the use case.

However, a patent license is required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[49] For this reason, free and open source software implementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)"

DavidS42

PostWed May 13, 2020 5:30 pm

"No licenses or payments are required for a user to stream or distribute content in AAC format.[48] This reason alone might have made AAC a more attractive format to distribute content than its predecessor MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio) depending on the use case.

However, a patent license is required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[49] For this reason, free and open source software implementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)"

So? Then why can Resolve - even/especially in the paid version - not even READ AAC?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 7:26 pm

To create decoder you also need license most likely.

DavidS42

PostThu May 14, 2020 7:37 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:To create decoder you also need license most likely.

That why I paid for the Studio version - to get all the licenses. Turns out I paid for half a product.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 14, 2020 3:56 pm

If you take all licensing from 300$ then not that much is left. How are you going to pay for all the developers? You know how much they cost :D

DavidS42

PostFri May 15, 2020 8:36 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you take all licensing from 300$ then not that much is left. How are you going to pay for all the developers? You know how much they cost :D

Saying "the product is too cheap" in a weird way won't make it functional for me.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri May 15, 2020 9:08 am

Buying a product which has no needed functionality is also strange. It’s a fact that AAC is not supported on Linux. Why have you bought it then? I know why- because it’s cheap and offers tons of other functionality for its price. Sorry but you are victim of your own. You have been given reasons why it’s not there. There is not much more to it. Maybe it will change in the future maybe not.

Trensharo

PostSun May 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide.

It's not good enough, though. That's why I think a paid option to add more/better codecs for Studio would be a good idea.

It's good enough :-)

Windows is way better than macOS when it comes to CODEC support out of the box.

It just doesn't have support for Apple's proprietary CODECs like ProRes, the same way Apple doesn't ship WMV/WMA support out of the box. Economically it makes little sense to license those, because they are fairly industry specific and the license costs would have to be negligible for it to make sense. It's better off left to the individual solution/software developers.

Aside from that, Windows has native AAC CODECs, so I'm not even understanding this reply. You don't have this issue on Windows. The issue is on Linux.

Windows has pretty much ALWAYS had superior out of the box CODEC support to macOS, in recent history. Apple's "superiority" has always hinged on its CODECs being industry standard or ubiquitous in certain industries - not on breadth of support.

For Linux users, this issue is completely different. I still think supporting Enterprise Distros that ship the CODECs would be a great option, that way they don't have to worry about licensing it. They can just use the CODEC that ships with the system.

Trensharo

PostSun May 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Buying a product which has no needed functionality is also strange. It’s a fact that AAC is not supported on Linux. Why have you bought it then? I know why- because it’s cheap and offers tons of other functionality for its price. Sorry but you are victim of your own. You have been given reasons why it’s not there. There is not much more to it. Maybe it will change in the future maybe not.

Agree. Also don't see why using Windows is such a problem. Use it for work and then go back to whatever else you prefer when you aren't working. It's not going to kill anyone.

One could always just use a Mac, as well.

CODEC support document has always been pretty explicit about what is supported and what isn't.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests