Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

• Author

deezid

Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Pretty much the only feature missing on the Studio version on Linux.
Right now have to treat AAC audio inside mov or mp4 files (convert to pcm wav) before I can open it inside Davinci Resolve which is a huge bummer.

Also MP4 support with Audio is basically impossible due to the missing AAC encoder.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K here:
www.55media.net/55m-p4k-color

Jim Simon

Re: Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 pm

It'd be nice if there were an additional "Codec Pack" available for the Studio version that would include ProRes (for Windows), x264 (commercial) and other such things. It would be a paid option to cover the licensing fees, and allow proper software codecs, rather than relying upon the often limited options provided by the OS and GPU.

Such a Codec Pack would level the playing field across all three platforms, as well as provide some much needed options not currently available.

Trensharo

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 am

Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

Things are different on Linux, though.

That being said, when I used to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux | Workstation, they would distribute all of these CODECs with the system out of the box. Everything just worked, the same way it does on Windows 10 or macOS. Maybe they should support only Enterprise Distros that ship with these CODECs out of the box (i.e. the cost of the CODEC license is in the cost of the OS purchase/subscription)?

Still wouldn't fix the "ProRes issue," though it would handle cases like H.264/HEVC and AAC.

deezid

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

That being said, when I used to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux | Workstation, they would distribute all of these CODECs with the system out of the box. Everything just worked, the same way it does on Windows 10 or macOS. Maybe they should support only Enterprise Distros that ship with these CODECs out of the box (i.e. the cost of the CODEC license is in the cost of the OS purchase/subscription)?

Still wouldn't fix the "ProRes issue," though it would handle cases like H.264/HEVC and AAC.

I think most distributions are equipped with ffmpeg nowadays anyway. So AAC en- and decoding shouldn't be an issue?

Right now the MP4 export is pretty much useless without audio lol

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide.

It's not good enough, though. That's why I think a paid option to add more/better codecs for Studio would be a good idea.

VennStone

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 8:26 am

AAC encoding in the Studio version would be a welcome addition on Linux.

If I could get that, Ut Video support, and the ability to use my Xtouch control surface life would be good.
Debian 10.1
Threadripper 1920X
NVIDIA 2060
32GB RAM
NVME / SSD
Intensity Pro
Intensity Pro 4K
DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K

canezila

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 pm

deezid wrote:
Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

I think most distributions are equipped with ffmpeg nowadays anyway. So AAC en- and decoding shouldn't be an issue?

This answers why I am having issues with all audio encoded MP4s on Studo via Linux. And I agree with deezid points.

deezid

PostSat Nov 30, 2019 2:24 pm

canezila wrote:
deezid wrote:

This answers why I am having issues with all audio encoded MP4s on Studo via Linux. And I agree with deezid points.

No audio, right?
Greyed out when exporting MP4 lol

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests