Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

• Author

hutber

Re: Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 4:44 pm

Each game is 1tb... or around 700GB. And I have 25 games so far this season. So currently I'll need to convert all of my footage and use another 14tb by doing this lol

I'll pay for the license!

atmosfar

PostFri Apr 01, 2022 8:48 pm

hutber wrote:Each game is 1tb... or around 700GB. And I have 25 games so far this season. So currently I'll need to convert all of my footage and use another 14tb by doing this lol

I'll pay for the license!

Does the video import muted, or just not at all? If it's the former, you could extract the audio track and import it separately in a compatible format, that would save a lot of disk space...

hutber

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 5:55 pm

They import without any issues, however there is no Audio. In the timeline it has no waves at all. Sadly

atmosfar

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 9:32 pm

hutber wrote:They import without any issues, however there is no Audio. In the timeline it has no waves at all. Sadly

Ok well in that case you can extract the audio stream separately without duplicating the video files completely.

Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vn -acodec pcm_s16le audio_only.wav

Then copy that into DR with your video file, add them to the timeline and select > Link clips.

hutber

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 10:45 am

Amazing pal, thank you!! This opened up my mind to writing some scripts for it.

Is my code to actually remove the audio, then replace the audio and merge with the videos video whilst create a new file.

#!/bin/bash
file=$(zenity --file-selection)
extension="${file##*.}"
ffmpeg -y -i "$file" -stats -hide_banner -loglevel panic -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec copy "${file/%$extension/mov}"

And then one just to loop through all the files in in the current folder and again, create .mov files next to the originals. I'm then storying the originals on my cloud server!
#!/bin/bash
for f in $(ls -1v | grep -i mp4);do
    extension="${f##*.}";ffmpeg -y -i "$f" -stats -hide_banner -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec copy "${f/%$extension/mov}";
done

Thanks!

fran.m

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 9:59 pm

So...
Does DR Studio 18 still not support AAC decoder on Linux??
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 32GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 31, 2022 1:19 am

DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

hutber

PostWed Aug 31, 2022 7:44 am

I never fully understand if this means it does or doesn't:

Embedded
audio in video
containers
mov, mxf,
r3d, mp4,
avi, etc.
– – All decodable audio formats listed
above, with valid header metadata
Linear PCM 16/24/32-bit,
AAC (based on container)

But I am pretty sure this was the same as last version, 17 too.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 31, 2022 8:24 am

It indicates that some containers may not have the full range of audio codecs available when being decoded/encoded - or conversely, some audio codecs may be available as part of a container, but not as a standalone file.

In other words, this row for CentOS can be read as:
a. DaVinci Resolve will try to decode all well formed clip containers with WAV, AIFF, MP3 and FLAC content.
b. DaVinci Resolve can only encode LCPM WAV in CentOS as an audio format, if the container definitions allow for it.
c. Additional container-specific codec support are listed separately below the row.

Given that containers can have strict definitions on encoding, headers and metadata, DaVinci Resolve may not offer audio codec options for some containers like MP4 which specify AAC as the output option.

Having said that, most third party software are tolerant of MP4s with other audio encoding, so if you really need the MP4 extension, one workaround that does not involve third party tools and transcodes is to render to an MOV and just rename the extension to MP4.

kenjohanson

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:07 am

So at least for a DECODE workflow to get these clips in, I found a working solution based in part on Jamie's sh script, with adaptations to only export a sidecar audio file (WAV)

1) export the audio, i.e with:
#!/bin/bash
for f in $(ls -1v | grep -i mp4);do
    extension="${f##*.}";
   ffmpeg -i "$f" -stats -hide_banner -acodec pcm_s16le -vn "${f/%$extension/wav}";
done

2) Sync the audio based on timecode. It has some limitations, see:
NOTE: I had to update this below post, because it doesn't work...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=171664&p=904597&sid=e8be992e149f878493b645cefa99c4ab#p904597
Resolve Studio 18, Ryzen 7 5700, 32G DDR4, 1070ti 8GB, Mint/Ubuntu 21 + KDE-Plasma 5.24

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:42 am

Where are you going to have timecode from if normal wav has no timecode?

-c pcm_s16le -write_bext 1 -metadata time_reference=480000

will use BWAV format and add time_reference tag. Resolve will read it and convert to timecode. This way you can pass your original file timecode (if you have one).
Time_reference = timecode converted to seconds* audio sample rate.
In above case audio is 48kHz so value of 480000 will give 10 seconds, so Resolve will read it as 00:00:10:00.
Eg. 01:00:00:00= 172800000 (3600*48000)

kenjohanson

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 1:43 pm

Hi Andrew, THANK YOU for this suggestion. I wasn't aware there's a better PCM container and way to extract the timecode into it! It'll help for my projects that do have timecode!!

However the content I'm working with has no embedded timecode track - some of it is from phones or other (old) semi-pro cams, or ffmpeg outputs -- o the only timebase is just the filename (which may or may not be in a day+time format) and internal a/v sample rates.

I'd hoped Resolve would default to matching clips based on filename and trt, when using "based on Timecode', but appears not to.

And so this is probably the reason why when I tried your suggestion with my timecode-less media, Resolve still wasn't able to match them. It instead just appended all the (bwav) audio tracks I'd selected, onto each video (mp4). In other words, if I select 10 video and audio file-pars (mp4 and bwav), then used 'Auto Sync Audio' -> 'Based on Timecode' -- then each video file had 10 audio tracks assigned to it, only one of which actually belongs.

Perhaps Resolve could use a 3rd option in addition to Timecode and Waveform: "Sync Audio based on Track/File name". Or if you have other suggestion, please let me know!!

(again to restate for others, I want to AVOID remuxing the original container with video in it, since my projects have TBs worth of media)
Resolve Studio 18, Ryzen 7 5700, 32G DDR4, 1070ti 8GB, Mint/Ubuntu 21 + KDE-Plasma 5.24

pink_panther

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 8:39 am

Hello everybody. I am shocked. I had Davinci Resolve Studio version xx.x.x installed on my Ubuntu machine and I use 99% GoPro footage which is AAC 8-bit encoded for the audio part. It's about one year ago I last used Resolve and I am pretty sure audio worked fine before because I did video editing on dozens of GoPro videos like this.

Yesterday I fired up DaVinci and got a message that a new update is available. I downloaded and upgraded. Now I have to realize that none of my footage video files play audio any more. I have enabled the Audio Meter view so I see if audio is inside the video file I am currently viewing. No audio output is processed, damn it! When I use footage of my Sony camera which does not use AAC but linear PCM it works fine. First I was not sure where the error is related to because I also have updated Ubuntu and now I use pipewire as the sound processing system. But after reading on the net it seems that AAC is not supported on Linux so I stumbled over this thread.

I was curious which version I used before, I found a file on my system and I guess this is showing the previous version I used ?

$ cat /var/BlackmagicDesign/DaVinci\ Resolve/.migrated

{
"Resolve.Preferences.Version": 1600,
"Resolve.Version.Major": 17,
"Resolve.Version.Minor": 4,
"Resolve.Version.Patch": 6
}

Can anyone confirm this, does it mean that DVR version 17 was fine with AAC on Linux and the latest 18 version is not compatible any more ? That really sucks :(
Resolve Studio 17 latest version

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 12:35 am

AAC has never been supported in Linux on Davinci Resolve and Davinci Resolve Studio. Containers like MOV and MKV allow for alternative audio encodings.

Please refer to the codec support document and plan your recording format ahead of time if you know which platform you will be editing in. link to codec support doc.

Thanks
Shrinivas

pink_panther

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 7:29 am

Thank you for your feedback. I have mixed something up. I was using Windows some years ago that's why I was pretty sure that it worked before :D According the specs you pointed to there are no issues in Windows. But now I am using Linux only and have no MS Windows installation any more so I have to stick with Linux.

Can you suggest a solution for me as Linux user how to handle my GoPro videos? They all are recorded with AAC, here's an output of a video sample that was recorded with my GoPro:

ffmpeg -i test_video1_orig.MP4

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'test_video1_orig.MP4':
Metadata:
major_brand : mp41
minor_version : 538120216
compatible_brands: mp41
creation_time : 2022-05-06T16:39:23.000000Z
firmware : HD8.01.01.60.00
Duration: 00:05:19.34, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 100217 kb/s
Stream #0:0[0x1](eng): Video: hevc (Main) (hvc1 / 0x31637668), yuvj420p(pc, bt709), 3840x2160 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 99960 kb/s, 59.94 fps, 59.94 tbr, 60k tbn (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : GoPro H.265
vendor_id : [0][0][0][0]
encoder : GoPro H.265 encoder
timecode : 00:07:35:27
Stream #0:1[0x2](eng): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 189 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : GoPro AAC
vendor_id : [0][0][0][0]
Stream #0:2[0x3](eng): Data: none (tmcd / 0x64636D74) (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : GoPro TCD
Stream #0:3[0x4](eng): Data: bin_data (gpmd / 0x646D7067), 45 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : GoPro MET
Stream #0:4[0x5](eng): Data: none (fdsc / 0x63736466), 13 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : GoPro SOS

I have tried two solutions so far, unfortunately it did not work out as I had hoped.

1) I use ffmpeg to convert the audio track from my original video file from AAC to PCM, so Davinci Resolve can handle the audio as well. The video track is copied unchanged one-to-one and the output is a .mov file:

ffmpeg -i test_video1_orig.MP4 -c:v copy -c:a pcm_s16le output.mov

If I use the output.mov in Davinci Resolve then the audio track is now shown to me, but there is a small offset because it is out of sync with the video track.

2) So I just tried to extract the audio track from the original video file, again using ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i test_video1_orig.MP4 audio.wav

In Davinci Resolve I import my original video file, hold down ALT and click on the existing but empty audio track, press Backspace to delete it since it has no content and then I add the audio.wav audio track. But again I have the problem that audio and video are not in sync.

I don't understand why this happens. Who can help here and suggest me a suitable solution? I want to use this to convert dozens of videos, as I want to edit all of them in Davinci Resolve. Am very grateful for any tip. Thanks in advance

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 9:26 am

You may need to check your recording device (or compensate) for variable frame rates and sample rates - as these are one of the main causes for out of sync audio/video.

Devonavar

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 11:40 pm

pink_panther wrote:Can you suggest a solution for me as Linux user how to handle my GoPro videos?

You've already found the best solution I'm aware of. I suspect the sync issue is an internal GoPro issue, not a Resolve issue ... I've had sporadic sync issues with GoPros in the past. They aren't exactly designed with audio as a priority. If possible, your can try viewing the footage outside of Resolve to confirm that the footage itself isn't the issue, but the simplest fix is probably just to figure out what offset you need and compensate manually.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Devonavar

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 11:44 pm

Coming back to the main topic of this thread: Is there any chance BMD might review the current patent status of AAC and reconsider adding support in Linux? I looked recently, and it seemed that *most* AAC patents have expired, with the notable exception of AAC-HE, which likely isn't a common format for Resolve use-cases.

Supporting vanilla AAC would be a HUGE improvement for Linux users. It's not just GoPro that records AAC by default; many mirrorless cameras and other prosumer video sources use AAC.

I deeply, deeply appreciated it when mp3 support was finally added (especially as an export option), which I believe was enabled due to patent expiry. I would love to know if something similar is being considered for AAC.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

kenjohanson

PostSun Apr 23, 2023 11:36 am

Shameless opportunity to bump this thread, with a couple happy notes.

-No one seems to have mentioned the 18.5 added support for AC3 decodes - while not AAC, AC3 exists a LOT in the wild, mainly in Mpeg transport streams (MTS / M2TS) - and I have THOUSANDS of hours of this stuff. so it is HUGELY appreciated that it works now! THANK you BMD team!!!! This and the Voice Isolation fixes save me from having to multi-boot (except for of course AAC based phone and gopro footage)

-I was fortunate enough to attend NAB and spoke with an engineer, and I did put in a plug for AAC decode, pointing out that most distros DO have native codecs (libav*, IIRC), and so hopefully they can link-to those essentially like all other Linux apps do, and still be license compliant... I forget if they are LGPL which allows linking? Does even GPL allow it? I also mentioned to him that I and others on this board have expressed willingness to pay if needed. BUT.... if an earlier comment about the patents expiring is true, that may just be the best path anyway...

Still, I think a fix we could ALL use now and even after AAC works - is a new/3rd option in addition to Timecode and Waveform: "Sync Audio based on Track/File name". For us who are in the AAC pickle, it could makes those audio sidecar files work a lot easier with hundreds of files and where these is no timecode - but *also* just for cases where tracks are separated anyway... m4v and m4a being a basic example; multitrack / multi-file multi-providers a more pro one. Sadly I neglected to ask the BMD engineer about this, and haven't yet posted it on the Feature Requests section (so many to wade through first and avoid duplicating there)

Tomascz

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 8:20 am

So I still cannot decode MP4 file with audio: MPEG-4 AAC with DR Studio 18.5 on Linux? I bought the SW yesterday only to find that it doesn't decode audio from all smartphones, GoPRO or DJI :cry:

pink_panther

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 11:17 am

This absolutely sucks. Davinci Resolve 18.5 still is not capable of playing back and editing GoPro footage that contains AAC audio. As soon as you drag 'n drop a .MP4 video file of a GoPro into DavinciResolve the audio track shows no content, it's empty without any waveform.

What a show stopper!!! I won't transform/convert/replace tons of video material just to make it able to be red by Davinci Resolve. The only way I currently see is to sell my DVR license and purchase some other video editing software. Sad to say, but that's the only way to go currently as a non-MSwin user :oops:

terryvfx

PostSat Sep 02, 2023 5:23 am

Just happens to find out about this the hard way...

Blu3wolf

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 8:35 am

It would be very nice to see AAC audio decoding and encoding, particularly if patent expiry means this can be done without licensing requirements.

ffmpeg already works fine with AAC audio, and is commonly available. Perhaps it could be added as a dependency for Resolve on Linux, and used to encode and decode on demand?

Kris Limbach

PostThu Dec 21, 2023 7:40 pm

+1 for this!
just to have one nle for everything.

till now on linux I use resolve for most of my recent work,
but to work with my huge archive with sony mts /avchd etc files all encoded with AAC I run lightworks, kdenlive, shotcut,

having said that lightworks is another commercial NLE that reads AAC. Ironic that I need to edit my files I recorded in a blackmagic atem mini pro in Lightworks, because it wont import correctly into resolve.

chlowden

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 8:40 pm

Whilst looking through the Resolve install on my linux, I stumbled across the file below
/opt/resolve/Developer/CodecPlugin/README.txt
It explains how to package codecs for decode and encode using an architecture similar to Mac. In theory, I might just be able to get the mac AAC bundle and copy it into resolve.
But that would be illegal.
On the other hand, fdkaac is used to decode / encode AAC files in ffmpeg.
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?t ... er_FDK_AAC
It seems as if fdkaac is open source
Sadly, I'm not a dev, but maybe someone out there understands how to package FDK_AAC into the BM framework, and maybe get mp4 working properly.
Any ideas are more than welcome.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 2:06 am

Hi Chris

Plugins using the Resolve encode SDK do not modify Resolve's factory presets. They add new options in the render settings.

Good starting points are the encode SDK example (in the same folder) and the pinned encoder plugin thread in this forum which discusses both commercial and community-made plugins.

Regards
Shrinivas

Kris Limbach

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 am

@Shinvas thank you for the info! If I understand it right, this will just affect the render settings, means there is no possible solution for decoding and importing AAC , right? Encoding AAC is not essential for my workflow, but importing is.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 10:01 am

Yes, neither decoding nor encoding of the AAC codec is available in Resolve in Linux.

snorkel

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 7:40 pm

Really sad BlackMagic won't do anything or be more transparent about the AAC thing...
if it's a cost saving measure do a go fund me to raise the capital to license AAC common....How does GoPro afford to license it for all the cameras it ships?
oh and can you please implement the internet account functionality on linux?? That's a big time saver and I really miss it on the linux version.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 8:43 pm

GoPro pays it from the money which you pay for the camera. It's also a different license as camera is a single unit and BM need to pay some bulk licensing since they have no clue how many Resolve licenses they will sell (they can sell none or thousands). Of course for free version it would mean BM actually pays from their own money, so loose money on providing free software :) Whole licensing deals are usually complex and everyone tries to avoid it :)

chlowden

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 11:50 am

Miracle ... I got a reply from Mainconcept. They offer an EXPORT only MP4 AAC solution. They wrote ...

"Yes, that is truth, both DaVinci Resolve and Resolve Studio do not support AAC audio on Linux platform. MainConcept offers a codec plugin that allows you to encode / export / render the AAC audio in MP4 container, but our plugin does not affect the importing / decoding side. So, you would still need to find a solution to import MP4 files with AAC audio on Linux platform.

When rendering a file in the Resolve Studio, click 'Video' tab first and choose one of the MainConcept's presets in "Format" drop-down, after that you will see additional codec options under "Codec" drop-down as well as audio options under Audio tab."

I am waiting for them to tell me how I can get buy their plugin.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

chlowden

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 12:08 pm

I presume that you are referring to this product ...
https://www.mainconcept.com/blackmagic-plugins

But I cannot find anything about the AAC codec in the documentation. Can you confirm that it is there?
Thanks

chlowden

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 12:18 pm

Mainconcept have just confirmed
Generic AVC/H.264 8-bit and 10-bit presets with AAC in MP4 are now available up to 4K.

The plugin only works Studio licences, not the free Resolve.

chlowden

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 1:06 pm

Demo installed. Note - The evaluation product adds video and audio watermarks to the processed output.
I can now export mp4 with AAC ...
Screenshot from 2024-02-02 13-46-03.jpg
Screenshot from 2024-02-02 13-46-03.jpg (25.33 KiB) Viewed 1217 times

Screenshot from 2024-02-02 14-05-08.jpg
Screenshot from 2024-02-02 14-05-08.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Last edited by chlowden on Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgood66

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 1:08 pm

you can read mp4 audio too or need to convert ?

Its easy to install ?

chlowden

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 1:51 pm

The install is very easy to install and the plugin is very well documented.
No. It does not do ingest; only exports. There is not much you can change on AAC codec parameters ... but it is great for my needs. Also, the pack comes with other exotic codecs.

bgood66

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 4:49 pm

thanks

lyon667

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 11:00 am

As of Studio 18.6.6 still no AAC import support unfortunately. I often have projects with hundreds of clips from action cams all of which use AAC for audio track and while I love DaVinci I have to stick with free tools like Kdenlive to do the job instead.

I'm still in the hopes of BM finding a way to provide an optional plugin to handle the missing formats, even a paid one to cover the necessary license fees.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6, Linux version

Trythistv

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 pm

Studio 19.0 Public beta 1 also has no AAC import on Linux.

Throws a bit of a wrench into my plans.
I'm not sure the technicalities, if there was a way to hook into the Resolve api and transcode via ffmpeg on the fly or add an import plugin that could be sold as an optional extra would be a complete game changer for anyone using DR on linux.

From my searches licensing the AAC codec for encoding and decoding LC and HE AAC costs in the realm of $1.80 per license up to 50,000 licenses, and then drops in price after that point.

I'd happily pay 10 times that on top of already purchasing DRS to be able to use the audio from literally every single camera I own in linux. and I bet everyone else in this thread would too.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests