Asymmetrical transitions.

• Author

daktulus

Asymmetrical transitions.

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 1:04 am

Crazy this is not possible in Resolve.

In every mojor editing program you can freely choose how many frames the transition starts before the cut and how many it ends after the cut.

Jim Simon

Re: Asymmetrical transitions.

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 8:46 pm

I don't say this is a bad thing.

I only say that it doesn't really add anything we can't already do by other means, and for myself, is not critical to have.

I would welcome the addition, but would be frustrated if this showed up before a few dozen other features.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 am

Jim Simon wrote:...for myself, is not critical to have. I would welcome the addition, but would be frustrated if this showed up before a few dozen other features.

What if a large contingent of professional editors wanted asymmetrical transitions? Does it make the feature request any less important or worthy simply because you don't have a need for it?

Please remember that the breadth of Resolve's feature set is so large, that de-prioritizing the importance of other people's feature requests based on your own personal priorities, is not very constructive at all, and very frustrating to the people who make such requests.

It's fine to be critical of the request based on its specific technical merits, or based around a discussion about the overall design philosophy of the feature itself. But don't dismiss things just because they aren't important to you. It's not a good look.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

brediknight

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 5:21 am

+1

Resolve is a Color Grading system. Getting more and more features towards a complete finishing system.
Editorial being one of them. This is needed for any true Editorial system.

daktulus

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 2:26 pm

An easy way to implement this would be to have the choice for the transition to go from In to Out, when you rightclick on the transition you want.
It would be very fast to find the point in the timeline where the transition shall start and mark it as In and where it ends by marking Out.
Rightclick on the transition and choose: transition from In to Out.
Then to be able to pull just one side of the transition for trimming.

Perfect would be if you also have the ability in the inspector to choose a fourth option in the pulldown of the alignment: start, end, center AND custom (frame before cut and after cut).

Tom Early

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 12:37 am

That’s no good if you don’t have enough handles. The avid quick transition widget is surely best here, especially since quick transition will auto assign to the nearest edit point if something isn’t selected. Though you could probably just do this in the timeline directly
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

daktulus

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 2:39 pm

That is true, the Avid Media Composer solution is very good.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests