hovering over a clip

• Author

teamnoir

hovering over a clip

PostWed Dec 25, 2019 3:23 am

I wish that hovering over a clip in the edit tab would pop a small dialog with some of the basic clip info... like it's name.

It's kind of a bummer to go chase down the zoom slider, slide it all the way out, move the play head to the clip I'm looking for, (multiple clicks), make a mental note of which one it is, then reverse that all in order to return to my editing context.

I keep being surprised that it's not there already so I must be expecting it.

Tom Early

Re: hovering over a clip

PostWed Dec 25, 2019 3:45 pm

just use the edit index, or timeline search. I wouldn't want pop ups on clips like this all the time, it would be a visual nightmare.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

John Paines

PostWed Dec 25, 2019 3:50 pm

It's a common feature on other systems, like Premiere, and never a nightmare. Consider all the steps and/or distracted attention needed now to get the duration of a timeline clip. The window doesn't pop up without a pause, is relatively small and is gone with the next action.

Jim Simon

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 7:08 pm

I think I'm with Tom on this. No pop-ups. The Inspector and Metadata panel both show the name of the clip well enough. The new Full and Detail zoom controls also help.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

emteepee

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 7:34 pm

That's definitely a feature I'd support - big time!! Just as I'd support pop-ups on all icons to tell me their function.

Whether any of this will be a "visual nightmare" will very much depend on how an individual uses DVR of course, and it shouldn't be ruled out just on that basis as there are ways around this.

For me the distraction of having to look elsewhere for the information is extremely disruptive to the workflow.

One piece of software I alpha tested a few years ago devoted a keyboard key to "Info" … the pop-up only appeared when it was pressed.
Win 10 Pro : Intel i9-7900X @ 3.6GHz (max 4.3GHz)
64GByte 3.5GHz DDR4 RAM
Internal 2x2TB M2 SSD + 1x6TB SSD
Misc 20TB internal + 20TB ext backup
Geforce GTX 1070 Ti (8GByte) [Studio/creative driver]
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6
[updated October 2023]

teamnoir

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 am

Jim Simon wrote:I think I'm with Tom on this. No pop-ups. The Inspector and Metadata panel both show the name of the clip well enough. The new Full and Detail zoom controls also help.

5-10 seconds of mousing around, another 10-20 seconds of mousing back to where I started, and now I've completely forgotten where I was because it took too long to find this one tiny little piece of data. So we start over and... I never get my piece done because I've spent all day mousing around trying to find basic data.

Ok, maybe not popups, or maybe optional popups, but this data needs to be much more immediately available and the easiest, least intrusive, least visually polluting thing I can think of is a popup. Yes, sure, give it a 4 second delay. You don't want those things popping up whenever you move the mouse, only when you hover it over a particular clip. I'd be happy if I could get the data in one click from the clip even, but I'd rather have a hover action that went away when I hit escape or moved the mouse again - faster, easier, more natural.

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 4:51 pm

teamnoir wrote:5-10 seconds of mousing around

To get a clip name? Damn, dude!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

teamnoir

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 2:23 am

Jim Simon wrote:
teamnoir wrote:5-10 seconds of mousing around

To get a clip name? Damn, dude!

Well, wtf is it? Is it over here? Nope. How about over here? Nope. Damn. Maybe here? ****. Is this one of those "clips" with a "clip properties"? Nope. Crap. I have no idea where to get it. I give up. I spread the zoom far enough that I can see the name written on the clip. Then I have to zoom it back to wherever I was.

Peter Cave

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 am

The Metadata panel no good for you?

Whenever I need to navigate away from where I'm editing, I usually drop an in or out mark so I can instantly go back. I also have the "Always highlight current clip in media pool" option on.

Why do you need a clip name from somewhere else in the timeline?
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

John Paines

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 3:14 pm

This is such an innocuous, useful and time-saving feature, it's hard to understand the impassioned resistance.

When you want the stats on a timeline clip: name, duration, etc., what could be easier than pausing over it and getting that information in a small window?

It's really preferable to turn to the 2nd monitor and pull up the metadata panel, or the Edit list, or both, and then try to find what you're looking for? Or mark the clip, look up at the record window, find the small numbered readout -- just to the get the duration?

And slowing down the system abominably with the "highlight clip" in the media pool thing on? Oh, man. Talk about encumbrances....

Jim Simon

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 3:26 pm

teamnoir wrote:Well, wtf is it?

It's at the top of both the Inspector and Metadata panel.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

sebas77

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 1:46 pm

If I am not wrong, in cut mode I cannot open the metadata panel, which made me waste some time (the time to google the solution and find it here)

AndrewKeil

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 3:17 pm

I'd settle for a duration pop up. It works perfectly in Premiere and is a real time saver.

Sure you can hit match frame and see the duration and clip name, but I try to spend most of my time in single viewer mode with as much real estate given to the timeline as possible. The metadata and viewer windows interfere with that setup. So is a delayed pop up really that much of a potential nightmare? I can't see how since it's been in Premiere for as long as I can remember.

Pop ups are available in the media pool already, so a stripped down mouseover version of that would be great.

Anything that takes you away from the timeline that can be easily solved with a simple UI gets my vote. Have it below the cursor and any mouse/trackpad movement makes it disappear.

Put a preference in there for the naysayers and everyone's happy.

reedandrader

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 4:21 pm

Why is a duration popup still not a thing? :(

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 4:47 am

+1 to hover tooltips for this.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests