I want ASIO driver support as early as possible!

• Author

BlackDog79!

I want ASIO driver support as early as possible!

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 11:26 pm

I just talked to tech support and they said DVR does not support asio drivers for USB interfaces for audio input, so I can't record audio in the Fairlight Page! How can this be? My device does not show up in the Fairlight Patch panel as an audio input. How can you have a DAW that does not accept asio drivers?

AudioDan24

Re: I want ASIO driver support as early as possible!

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 5:12 am

Yes, ASIO driver implementation is one of my biggest requests as well.

On Mac the audio works better because it's all handled by Core Audio but as we know, Windows Audio system is not designed for professional use and so asking Windows to address multi-channel audio interfaces that don't list their multi-channel inputs as separated stereo pairs, is near impossible.

The Windows version of Resolve / Fairlight will benefit massively from addressing ASIO sound drivers.

Thanks for your post BlackDog79

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 pm

I think this has everything to do with business/the hardware blackmagic provides.

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 11:02 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:I think this has everything to do with business/the hardware blackmagic provides.

How so? I'm not familiar with audio work enough to know how supporting ASIO drivers would work against their hardware ecosystem.

AudioDan24

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 11:49 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:I think this has everything to do with business/the hardware blackmagic provides.

Yes, until recently I would have agreed with that. BMD would of course want Resolve to work best when using BMD / Fairlight hardware. However as Resolve now does its "Clean Feed" monitor window without the need for specific hardware, and factoring in the incredible functionality that comes in the free version of Resolve, it appears BMD are focused on making Resolve as widely accessible as possible.

ASIO drivers have certainly established themselves as the most successful, low-latency audio hardware driver system. AVID eventually gave up on Digidesign audio driver (for non hardware accelerated systems) and moved across to ASIO. Anything that handles sound in the Adobe suite supports ASIO and most major DAW's that operate on Windows also primarily use ASIO.

It would be a very welcome improvement in Resolve allowing full, 32bit, low latency access to a world of stunning audio interfaces that connect via any bus you can think of including CAT5 (AVB & DANTE).

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 am

yeah let me be clear, i would love to see ASIO in resolve. but i still think thats the reason, so far.

AudioDan24

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 am

Yes, totally agree.
Well, given that BMD already include ASIO drivers for their Decklink devices, let's hope it's not too far away!

Gary Hango

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Is it possible there’s some sort of ASIO bridge software where an audio interface device would see ASIO but Resolve would see the device as using the system sound interface?
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

AudioDan24

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi Gary,
It's possible, yes. Steinberg provide a "Generic Low Latency ASIO" driver with their applications because they will ONLY talk to ASIO. The generic driver acts kind of like a bridge to the lowest level of the audio drivers in the Windows. It's unfortunately quite inefficient and puts a high load on the system.

The issue is that Windows sees sound as a low priority process and so it imposes long delays on the processing of the incoming and outgoing signals, which is of course what creates the latency issues. ASIO and every other Windows-based audio driver made for professional use, bypasses the Windows Audio System altogether, providing a direct path from the audio application to the audio device whilst also forcing Windows to treat the process with higher priority.

The drivers are more efficient than Windows Audio, they properly support 32 bit float (possibly now 32 bit integer as well) and sample rates of up to 384MHz (and probably higher). They correctly list all I/O's of the interface making them accessible to the host application. They also support other functions such as external synchronisation and variable buffer sizes giving direct control over I/O latency versus system load.

So whilst a bridge can be made, Windows Audio doesn't really have the capability of handing what ASIO drivers offer. It would certainly be more beneficial for BMD to make Resolve talk directly to ASIO drivers because, to my knowledge, you can't buy a professional audio interface for Windows these days that doesn't include ASIO drivers and, as I mentioned, BMD hardware devices already include ASIO in the Decklink driver.

Skiess

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Although my inputs are recognized by Fairlight, I need to set my RME PCI card audio buffer to 2048 in order to record stutter-free audio.

Pro Tools HD won't even start up at that buffer size... (Took me a while to figure that out, thank you internet..)

Stephen van Vuuren

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 7:23 pm

This is the sole reason I don't use Resolve for paying NLE work in my studio. I do have Resolve Studio on both MacBook Pro and Windows, but my Windows machine gets the big work and has the surround interface and it's dead in the water for surround due to lack of ASIO.

Since even dinky little apps have ASIO support, the post from BM claiming licensing is likely not true. I do think they think it's propping up hardware sales but it's terrible idea.

Resolve will stay a color only app unless either (1) Apple release reasonable pro desktops with a reasonable power/performance/pricing model or (2) Resolve gets ASIO

Given Resolve's support for so many other standards and claims of cross platform, the ASIO situation is a large black mark as it's the foundation of pro audio on Windows. A pro audio app on Windows that does not support ASIO is pretty much dead in the water.

jimjones

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 5:25 pm

I want to add my voice to this as well. ASIO please.

jimjones

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Stephen van Vuuren wrote:
Since even dinky little apps have ASIO support, the post from BM claiming licensing is likely not true. I do think they think it's propping up hardware sales but it's terrible idea.

I'm curious to read this - do you happen to know where it was written? I did a search for ASIO licensing and it didn't pop up.

Stephen van Vuuren

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 6:02 pm

jimjones wrote:
Stephen van Vuuren wrote:

I'm curious to read this - do you happen to know where it was written? I did a search for ASIO licensing and it didn't pop up.

I did not save a link, it was from some time ago, I believe v15 release or v15 wishlist. But it was a product wishlist thread I do recall.

Paul Draper

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 5:13 am

Its here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=92828&p=516200&hilit=asio#p516200
lame.
In my experience, is not 'quite' so much of an issue with mac os technically because of the way core audio works. However trying to navigate a bizillion unnamed audio outputs in the fairlight page is dreadful (I'm using an RME UFX+ with ADAT and MADI).

On Windows however is useless unless again using RME drivers that can map Windows MME outputs. Otherwise, *everybody* else uses ASIO drivers. This situation for Resolve is both ridiculous and primitive; one assumes that they are really holding out around their own Fairlight investment.

Propriety here is never going to work (obviously), therefore a matter of how long we might be prepared to wait ... In may view, the provision of ASIO alone would exponentially increase Resolve adoption, no question.
License fees? BS.

Other workstation: Dell T7910 dual Xeon, RTX 20280Ti. Win10Pro for Workstations 1909.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

Stephen van Vuuren

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 5:28 am

Paul Draper wrote:Its here:

Thanks for tracking that down! That's exactly the one I was referring to. Coincidentally enough they just pushed out a new Fairlight update trumpeting all sorts of various features but not a mention of ASIO.

Of course it's just a point release. We shall see what v17 and NAB brings.

robybeaudoin

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:11 pm

I will buy the studio version only for this feature, ASIO is fundamental. I cross my finger for v17. :)
Roby Beaudoin
Imaqiq studio

ajzapf

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Please ASIO support so I can use your software.
Dad • IT Pro • Photographer
Windows 11, Adobe 2023, DaVinci Resolve 18, Studio One 6 Pro
Dell R7920 2x Xeon Gold 6242R 3.10GHz, 40-Cores, 64GB DDR4 RAM
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, 2 Dell UP2516D Monitors
2 WD BLACK 1TB NVMe - 23TB's on Server Drive

Shawn Astrom

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 4:07 pm

Just finding this out myself. ASIO is a MUST. I was so excited to record some VO directly in Resolve but it's a NO GO without ASIO on Windows Pro 10 64bit. Hopes are high!

- Shawn

james tell

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:03 pm

So, I have a CUbase studio, a pro setup, with 2 Focusrite, the clarett too. But its on another PC. I want to grade, do all adudio on on my NLE PC. I bought the Allen Heath qu 32, to use ! its not working............

I understand its got to do with the ASIO, but....... can someone, please jsut tell me WHAT soundcard I should buy, so I can start working ?

what is the best match for D. R soundcardwise, 4 inputs is ok, ONE would probalby be ok too .

Jut tell me please ! so I dont go and buy another pricvy sondcard thatI have to sell .
D.R - 16 Studio :
Windows 10 Pro 64 - on 850 EVO 500 SSD
i7 - 5960X - CPU 3.0 G - 64 GB
- X99A RAIDER, - 2011-3
- RTX 2080 Ti ( Titan x ( pascal) )
- Allen Heath QU 32
- 2 x WD 4TB
- sctratch : PM961 SSD M.2

Paul Draper

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 pm

james tell wrote:So, I have a CUbase studio, a pro setup, with 2 Focusrite, the clarett too. But its on another PC. I want to grade, do all adudio on on my NLE PC. I bought the Allen Heath qu 32, to use ! its not working............
I understand its got to do with the ASIO, but....... can someone, please jsut tell me WHAT soundcard I should buy, so I can start working ?

what is the best match for D. R soundcardwise, 4 inputs is ok, ONE would probalby be ok too .

Jut tell me please ! so I dont go and buy another pricvy sondcard thatI have to sell .
Yeah, so many of us have been asking for ASIO support since DR14 ... don't hold your breath. Re. the 'sound card', OK, here goes:

Because Resolve does not directly support the supplied drivers that come with the DAWs (here then, eg: Cubase), we have to kludge the routing. Resolve only supports the native OS audio routing.

In the case of Mac OS that's not 'too' bad because the OS incorporates the DAW driver routing at the system level (ie, in the System Prefs /Sound and in MIDI/Audio settings). However, in practice this can still be a real drag in the case of an audio interface with many inputs and outputs. None of these are 'named' in Resolve so can be difficult, impossible even (in the case of also having ADAT & MADI IO) to know which is which ...

Back to your question re. Windows:
Similar applies but in this case Windows maintains two distinct audio systems : 1) the ASIO drivers & routing and 2) the native Windows WDM (and other variants, can be confusing, eg, WASAPI, MME etc).

In any case, some few audio interfaces do support 'dual' routing in Windows - this means that the DAW can use the ASIO drivers but also a multi IO routing interface can be set up for Windows audio. In my view, the very best of these are made by RME as PCIe cards, rackmount thunderbolt, USB & desktop.

The RME control panel can setup WDM devices routing and for example, I have an RME UFX+ thunderbolt running on a Dell T7910 workstation. The CP is configured to run Windows MME as an 8 channel analogue audio IO (mics, monitors etc), plus 8 channel ADAT IO (for 5.1 speakers in this case), plus 2 channel s/pdif (main monitors).

RME1.jpg
RME1.jpg (142.28 KiB) Viewed 13335 times

RME2.jpg
RME2.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 13335 times

Because Resolve can only use the System settings (or a custom set within that), therefore all the routing you would expect now becomes available though the RME setup as described. Of course the ASIO drivers are also available to everything else that recognises it (ummm... as far as I can see, that's pretty much everything else installed except Resolve).

So, which RME interface to use depends of your audio routing requirements and budget. The UFX+ might be a little pricey, but there are plenty of options, eg the desktop Babyface might do it for you; maybe one of the PCIes. Whichever, their drivers are brilliant, as is their TotalMix routing & FX software.

That's been my best kludge for Windows until BM gets its act together and provides ASIO support like everyone else. Whichever, German RME still make some of the very best audio interfaces & IO /drivers around.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 11:01 pm

You could also try Asio4all which works with WDM drivers.
http://www.asio4all.org/
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

AudioDan24

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 12:14 am

james tell wrote:So, I have a CUbase studio, a pro setup, with 2 Focusrite, the clarett too. But its on another PC. I want to grade, do all adudio on on my NLE PC. I bought the Allen Heath qu 32, to use ! its not working............

Hi James,
I've recently been in contact with MOTU and confirmed that the 828es not only has multi-platform Class Compliancy, but also presents a multi-channel Wave Driver to Windows Sound. This means that under Windows, Resolve will see multi-channel instead of just a stereo pair in and out.

I'm making an assumption that other MOTU interfaces in the range will also present multi-channel Wave Drivers. Perhaps have a look at the MOTU range as well as RME and see if they have an interface that fits the configuration price you need, then contact their sales team to confirm on multi-channel Wave Drivers. Their sales team got back to me within hours of me sending my inquiry and were very helpful.

If BMD implement ASIO in Resolve then you'll still expect the same or better function from whatever interface you get but at least you'll be able yo get on with what you need to do if they don't.

james tell

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 12:42 am

Teh sond came finally , into my second PC with Faocusrite, but choppy sonnd. ........and so I will have to geat som Failight soundsystem.

I already bougt grapiccard for quite a sum fo money, and so the Decklink !! I can not grade my movie, and use D. R as a total solution , thts for sure. I get only frustrated.

I am not goint to sit in the fck FORUms when I am supposed to work. this program does not still work, thats the truth .

Please someone advice me a prgram. I started to look at Edius, 3 year ago. I regret I dod not continue that path .
D.R - 16 Studio :
- X99A RAIDER, - 2011-3
- Allen Heath QU 32
- 2 x WD 4TB

AudioDan24

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 1:34 am

james tell wrote:Teh sond came finally , into my second PC with Faocusrite, but choppy sonnd. ........and so I will have to geat som Failight soundsystem.

I already bougt grapiccard for quite a sum fo money, and so the Decklink !! I can not grade my movie, and use D. R as a total solution , thts for sure. I get only frustrated.

I am not goint to sit in the fck FORUms when I am supposed to work. this program does not still work, thats the truth .

Please someone advice me a prgram. I started to look at Edius, 3 year ago. I regret I dod not continue that path .

Hi James,
Once you start grading and adding VFX you will find that audio starts to suffer. I'd suggest that you disable all graphical nodes in the preview monitors when working with sound.

What resolution video are you working with? It might help you to render out a proxy resolution version of the movie for when you're working in Fairlight. Just have that version sitting on your main timeline so that you can activate it for Fairlight use.

I've recently found that if you go to your Resolve preferences and then to the General tab, you'll find an option "Audio Processing Block Size". I'm not sure if this is active with all audio interfaces but certainly with your Decklink card you'll be abe to increase the block size to give your system more 'room to breath'. (The same as your ASIO sample buffer in other programs)

Which Decklink do you have? The Decklink will be the best audio option you have in terms of sync and Resolve functionality because if the direct, internal support in Resolve.

As another option, (which you may want to look at later when you have time? ) I've just read that QU series mixers are USB class compliant on Linux so you could install a Centos 7 system on you PC and your Allen & Heath's mutli-channel USB capabilities would then be recognised in Resolve. (No drivers necessary). Possible also that the USB MIDI function in the QU might also be recognised and then the QU would act as a control surface for Fairlight.

Just a thought, anyway. I know when you're in the middle of a job, messing around with operating systems is about the last thing you want to be doing. BMD provide an ISO installer for a pre-configured system here:

http://downloads.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... OS_7.3.iso

It has NVidia drivers already installed but you'll want to update those to match your graphics card. Then do the installation of Resolve 16.x and you should be able to get straight into it with your QU-32.

Will Howard

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 5:12 am

AudioDan24 wrote:

Hi James,
I've recently been in contact with MOTU and confirmed that the 828es not only has multi-platform Class Compliancy, but also presents a multi-channel Wave Driver to Windows Sound. This means that under Windows, Resolve will see multi-channel instead of just a stereo pair in and out.

I'm making an assumption that other MOTU interfaces in the range will also present multi-channel Wave Drivers. Perhaps have a look at the MOTU range as well as RME and see if they have an interface that fits the configuration price you need, then contact their sales team to confirm on multi-channel Wave Drivers. Their sales team got back to me within hours of me sending my inquiry and were very helpful.

If BMD implement ASIO in Resolve then you'll still expect the same or better function from whatever interface you get but at least you'll be able yo get on with what you need to do if they don't.

I haven't used them with Resolve but MOTU's recent drivers and Console software are very flexible. And they do offer multi channel and multi client drivers like RME.

I set up an edit machine for a client that used a Presonus interface under Windows. It seemed to work fine.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 2:01 pm

AudioDan24 wrote:The Decklink will be the best audio option you have in terms of sync and Resolve functionality because if the direct, internal support in Resolve.

This is often overlooked it seems. Always perfect multichannel audio sync with a DeckLink or UltraStudio. I personally haven't had any need for ASIO drivers because I extract the audio from a DeckLink but more options are always welcome.

james tell

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 6:04 pm

I dont have a Decklink card, but if I sell my Qu 32, and the next update from D. R include ASIO, I will feel quite stupid :)
I wrote driectly to Blacmagic about this. I am planning to have a Deckling card that can output a correct monitor put, as well. So if ther is a card that can be , in the futere ready for HDR-grading and the audio inpt functioning as well, I would buy it, and just be happy .

The Qu, mixer have 32 inpur, ; its from my music studio, where I invested in Focusrite soundcards. So its an overkill anyway .For some voiceover, dubbing, and maybe a stereo input for a synth, is really all I need .
Of coursse, it must be a audio solutioiin that works well, as I am planning to do all in this movie IN D. R.
D.R - 16 Studio :
- X99A RAIDER, - 2011-3
- Allen Heath QU 32
- 2 x WD 4TB

AudioDan24

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:11 pm

james tell wrote:I dont have a Decklink card, but if I sell my Qu 32, and the next update from D. R include ASIO, I will feel quite stupid :)
I wrote driectly to Blacmagic about this. I am planning to have a Deckling card that can output a correct monitor put, as well. So if ther is a card that can be , in the futere ready for HDR-grading and the audio inpt functioning as well, I would buy it, and just be happy .

The Qu, mixer have 32 inpur, ; its from my music studio, where I invested in Focusrite soundcards. So its an overkill anyway .For some voiceover, dubbing, and maybe a stereo input for a synth, is really all I need .
Of coursse, it must be a audio solutioiin that works well, as I am planning to do all in this movie IN D. R.

Hi James,
OK well a Decklink card will certainly give you a host of benefits inside of Resolve but will also work with Cubase as your video window output (instead of using the on-screen window).

Everyone is of course holding their breath for ASIO support in a future release. I'm hoping, as an alternative, that BMD fills the current hole in the mid-level Utra Studio market with a model designed for Fairlight users....something closer to an audio interface but with HDMI / SDI output.

In the mean time, if you can spare the time, I'd recommend trying the Centos Linux path and see how you go. If you have a spare hard drive to set up the OS on then it's effectively only a time-cost involved and may get all of your current components working exactly how you need. (Just be sure, if you do try this, to disconnect all other hard drives from your system during the Centos installation because it has a tendancy to format all the connected drives.)

Hope this helps! (Coming from a long-time Cubase / Nuendo user who has been using down-time to test and investigate as many options as possible)

james tell

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 10:28 am

Thats really interesting Audio Dan. I went to NTNU( university in Trondheim ) in early 90`thies, and we used UNIX, and was coding in Pascal !:)

I always wanted to try LInux . O have a newer PC that have the CUBASE installed, and weher I use Focusrite 18i/20 and a Clarett, so, I will leave that as it is, The Foucusrite is very good, really .

And for me, to have this beast; the Qu 32 channel, which I took from the music studio, should be repalced anyway. I need the space for a reference monitor :) SO, if fact, to gete a now soundcard,and sell the Qu, ewill be done anyway.

But, to invest in those quite expansive Decklink, or the system that goes / integrates with Fairlight, will be a wast of money, IF BMD decide to inpolement ASIO .

I will probably never use more that 2 inputs in Resolve anyway, so a smaller card is ok.

This person here saying he is using a Behringer mixer , probalby with ASIO and WDM driver .

ok, thanks a lot for your information Dan, and to warn me to disconnect !:) dont want to ruin my disks .
I have never used anything other thean D. R, so I will not leave it. But to start off on w full movie project, and then get corrupted DRP files, adn a mess in audio, and end up stucked in a mess that I will start over again, after having clipped, and graded for, lets say 2-3 months ............. well

I woudl probably travel to "2down under" Australia, and tell them what I feel :)
D.R - 16 Studio :
- X99A RAIDER, - 2011-3
- Allen Heath QU 32
- 2 x WD 4TB

Jobol777

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 2:23 pm

+1 for ASIO support!!

I can't believe that Resolve doesn't have it!!
  • Resolve 17.3.1
  • Windows 10, Build 19043
  • Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz, 4393 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
  • Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
  • Radeon RX 580 Series

AudioDan24

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 5:03 pm

james tell wrote:This person here saying he is using a Behringer mixer , probalby with ASIO and WDM driver .

You're welcome James. I think in the case of the Behriger XR and X series mixers they are actually class-compliant on all systems so Windows recognises them as a multi-channel interface and so does Resolve.

If you only need two inputs into Resolve then I'd definitely still recommend looking at Decklink and Ultra Studio models instead of another audio interface. The advantages of Decklink cards in Resolve are substantial. Nothing else gives you the smooth, synchronous playback in all parts of the program that you get via Decklink and Ultra Studio. My Decklink and Intensity cards are the only outputs I trust when I'm working on lip-sync.

Again...ASIO driver support! Bypass Windows Sound System. So many issues would be solved here.

Best of luck with your project!

robinwillis

PostMon May 11, 2020 3:13 pm

We absolutely need this. Fairlight is a beautifully designed DAW with lots going for it... but no ASIO? Come on Black Magic! You work miracles with the depth and complexity of your releases... this should a piece of cake for you.
https://t.me/pump_upp

Arador

PostThu May 21, 2020 1:32 am

I just tried to set up my Audio Interface in Resolve, but it doesn't work.

ASIO support is essential, I can't use Resolve without it.

Please add ASIO support.

Thanks!

Yann Le Saout

PostThu May 28, 2020 8:58 pm

Hello there,

I’m falling for it! Asio not compatible with Resolve?
But what world does Black Magic Design live in?
I have two audio interfaces, one for 5.1 and 7.1 and the other for a stereo headset monitor. Both used in Cubase, so go through Asio.
They are recognized by Resolve, the vu-meters work wonderfully, but NO SOUND comes out!
Note that when I place my UR 22 on my desktop PC under Linux, not through ASIO, everything works well with Resolve.
But here, I have to work on Windonws, because Steinberg and Magix don’t edit their Linux softs.
So catch up with your incredible delay!
I’m really falling out of the blue!
Yann Le Saout

robvoodoo

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 6:00 am

I just want to add my voice here! I'm new to DVR but I think it's an amazing app I'm looking forward to getting deep into - but it is amazing to me that there can be all these pro audio features and no ASIO support. If I'm trying to figure out if my sync is good, latency just throws that out the window. Hope this will be fixed in the next release!

Trensharo

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 2:54 am

Will Howard wrote:
AudioDan24 wrote:

Hi James,

I haven't used them with Resolve but MOTU's recent drivers and Console software are very flexible. And they do offer multi channel and multi client drivers like RME.

I set up an edit machine for a client that used a Presonus interface under Windows. It seemed to work fine.

That's because good vendors develop both WDM (or WASAPI) and ASIO drivers, so that the interface can be used in all Windows applications - similar to how they have ASIO drivers and CoreAudio compliance on macOS.

Steinberg is another vendor that has both WASAPI and ASIO drivers for their interfaces.
Last edited by Trensharo on Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trensharo

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 2:56 am

james tell wrote:Teh sond came finally , into my second PC with Faocusrite, but choppy sonnd. ........and so I will have to geat som Failight soundsystem.

Ah, Edius. That underrated speed demon :-P

Pricey, though :-(

bobdamit

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 12:14 am

Just to add my voice. I am primarily an audio recording studio. I have very high-end boutique quality mic preamps connected through an adat lightpipe to my primary interface. Davinci only shows me the first eight inputs of my sound card (focusrite 18i20) - in other words, only the crappy built-in preamps. I have to either avoid using my good stuff, or record into a DAW, export and import into Davinci. Makes for a pretty clunky workflow for post production audio.

Phixate

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 4:55 pm

I understand they didn't add ASIO to Resolve 17. This can only mean they are trying to force people to buy their hardware. In this day and age do they not understand that they are alienating a huge market that would actually buy their Pro version software if it has ASIO? I'd spend $299 on Resolve. I won't spend $995 on their Fairlight card.

I understand we can't do full score production in the same environment we are editing video. All most of us want is the ability to do voiceovers with low latency and basic music/sound design without having to export to an audio program and reimport.

Pitspeeder

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 12:01 am

<<< BUMP >>>

I am in the process of moving from Premiere to Resolve.

I am even going to buy the Studio Version.

I was prepared to buy the Speed Editor (but I will grab the bundle).

I have a very nice setup for my audio. It works with everything of substance.

I works so well because of ASIO.

I am a basement hobbyist who is making some short videos for You Tube.

I don't mid paying for software that has substance.

The lack of ASIO support in Fairlight borders on inexcusable.

I was moving to Davinci because of workflow. Now all the sudden my workflow got just as clunky as Creative Cloud.

Its a simply driver support. Not a rewrite.

Please bring ASIO support to the front.

Thank you.

Matt White

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Not being able to use our industry standard audio gear with Resolve makes our workflow complicated and prone to mistakes. Please add support for more interfaces.

Phixate

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 11:15 pm

I agree with both of the last two comments. Having to export to a DAW, record there and import ruins the one program workflow concept of Resolve. The only redemption is it is a far better video/audio EDITING program than Premiere, so it is still better for me to use Resolve rather than Premiere. At some point BMD is going to have to address the issue of ASIO, even if they tell everyone screaming for it no. It's their decision if they want to keep their system closed when it comes to audio. I think that's a bad idea and they could make money on the Studio version by adding it as an advanced feature. That would be fine by me.

Kizzume

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 5:38 pm

I just purchased Studio earlier this morning... I'll receive it in a couple days.... but after reading this, now I think I may have made a mistake, and B&H said that this item cannot be returned. I'm not trying to do DAW-level processing in Resolve, it's just basic audio for the most part, I'm not planning on recording audio with Resolve (I have other software for that), but if not even basic audio that's already been recorded by other software is going to work right (crackling audio, etc) because it's missing ASIO support... well, I hope I'm just being pessimistic.

Phixate

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 9:54 pm

No, it should be fine for that. I just want to do my voiceovers and basic acoustic guitar/singing stuff directly in Resolve, but it is impossible with the latency as it is without buying the $995 accelerator card or BMD adding ASIO support.

Matt White

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 pm

Is BM not adding ASIO in Resolve because of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO)?

Kidding aside, I think this is a bigger issue than just ASIO: the whole audio workflow needs improvement:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=127081&p=692792#p692792

jneudorf

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Adding my +1 to this request. Having asio support, even if it's only in the studio version, would eliminate one additional program I have to use. It's really mind boggling that they would push the fairlight page so far without support for asio.

BlackDog79!

Asio

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 7:35 pm

Asio drivers please!

GrizzlyAK

Re: Asio

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 11:24 pm

+100 Yes, please.
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

VioletWolf

Re: Asio

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 7:22 pm

And VST3 - Black Magic is more than a decade behind on this stuff
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests