Find Duplicate Media In Project

• Author

AudioDan24

Find Duplicate Media In Project

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:51 am

Would if be possible to add a function into Media that searches for duplicate files / clips throughout the project? Then additionally, options for how to deal with the duplicates such as 'Merge', 'Add Unique Prefix/Suffix', 'Remove from Project', 'Delete' etc..

Careful file keeping and correct usage of Resolve would probably negate the need for such a function but unfortunately I find, with several people working on a project, files have a habit of getting re-imported into a project unnecessarily.

Thank you!

Reynaud Venter

Re: Find Duplicate Media In Project

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 7:16 am

For now, enable the Usage column in the Media Pool (right click the column header and enable "Usage").

Duplicate media added to the Media Pool will display a usage count of zero, whereas media in use on the Timeline will display a usage count of at least 1.

The Clip's contextual menu within the Media Pool also includes a "Usage" sub-menu which indicates the Clip's usage on the Timeline with corresponding Timecode entries.

AudioDan24

Re: Find Duplicate Media In Project

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 9:00 am

Thanks Reynaud,
Yes the Usage function has certainly been a friend of mine throughout the last project. I used it extensively to solve a mass of bad file-keeping. In fact this project began back when the Usage Data still had to be manually updated with the context menu option in Media (that got removed late around late 15 early 16 (from memory)).

Unfortunately with multiple people editing scenes in different locations there's a very real likelihood that duplicated instances of the same file will end up on the same timeline. Particularly if different editors are importing other timelines or copying and pasting between timelines and not paying attention to how the media conforms during that import or copy/paste process.

I think the ability to specifically search for duplicates, compare and then choose how to deal with them would be a valuable addition.

Again, this is not a function that would be necessary if correct procedure was always observed. This is function for cleaning up messes.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests