Non stopping Playback even if Resolve window is not active

• Author

jt1972

Non stopping Playback even if Resolve window is not active

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Example if I play my edit and I switch to an another program then playback is stopped and output device released...

There should definitely be an option in Settings to turn off stopping playback and stopping releasing the device on program switch.

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Non stopping Playback even if Resolve window is not acti

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:54 pm

+1.

This is one of my favorite features of Premiere Pro.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Peter Cave

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 9:26 am

Resolve already has this. The first option on the Video and Audio IO settings page. My Mac with a Decklink card works the way you want.
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.22.43 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.22.43 pm.png (309.79 KiB) Viewed 1706 times

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.23.09 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.23.09 pm.png (34.46 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Peter Cave wrote:Resolve already has this. The first option on the Video and Audio IO settings page. My Mac with a Decklink card works the way you want.

This is not what the OP is talking about. The feature being requested is if you are playing something in Resolve, you can switch out to bring another application to the foreground, and Resolve will not stop playback in the background.

This feature is very useful for taking notes in a text editor while the timeline is playing, as well as many other scenarios.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Peter Cave

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 12:54 am

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. When I switch away to another application Resolve playback continues.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

jt1972

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 5:14 pm

Great!

Problem solved!

So one should have the "Release video I/O hardware when not in focus" UNTICKED in Preferences (System) -> Video and Audio I/O.

If this behaviour is not the initial default for new installs then it should!

And this setting should have a better place in the GUI - Now its little oddly placed and hard to locate and it should be renamed similar to this "Stop playback and release video I/O hardware when not in focus"

Kind regards,
Jan

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 11:24 pm

Well damn, all this time I thought the "Release video I/O hardware when not in focus" option only related to external video output (much like how After Effects or Premiere's "Disable video output when in the background" option works), and the not the actual playback state itself. Thanks for the tip, Peter.

That said, this option definitely needs to be renamed to something more specific, as the desire to continue playback in the background is often different from the simple desire for Resolve to actually "release" the hardware when it's in the background so other apps like Premiere or After Effects can send video out through the Decklink device.

Adobe's implementation is actually what I feel is the preferable one, as it is a general toggle that disables/enables video output, regardless of whether the app is in the FG or BG. The Premiere timeline will always continue to play back if it gets sent to the BG, but if the video output option is set to "disable when in the background", the external video output will turn off while the timeline continues to play back in the BG.

There are many times that I wish I could disable the video output from Resolve while I'm still working in the UI, so I can do non-color oriented tasks (roto, tracking etc etc) without my client getting distracted by the output when I dont want them to be looking at it. This is a feature I've been asking for in Resolve since version 9.0, and while you can disable video output by selecting "None" in the "For capture and playback use:" option, this option requires you to restart Resolve, which effectively negates its usefulness for this type of use case.

Resolve's preference is confusing, because it conflates background timeline playback with background video output. It's effectively the opposite of Premiere, which always plays in the background, despite the video output settings, and doesn't give you a preference for controlling BG playback behavior. Resolve, on the other hand, gives you the option for controlling BG playback behavior, but does not allow you to control the video output state on the fly, without restarting the app.

I guess this my roundabout way of requesting that they rename/modify the current "Release video I/O hardware when not in focus" preference to a more logical "Allow playback when not in focus", and unbind the actual video output state from this preference. Then add the ability for Resolve to dynamically toggle the video output state using a keyboard shortcut (and/or an associated icon in the Viewer), instead.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests