Minimize All Audio/Video tracks

• Author

julian_b

Minimize All Audio/Video tracks

PostSun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm

Could we get a feature to minimize all video tracks or all audio tracks?
When working only on video (titles etc), I'd like to be able to minimize all audio tracks with a shortcut.
By "minimize" I mean like grabbing the divider between audio and video tracks and dragging it all the way up or down.
Pressing the shortcut again should restore the divider location to the previous position.
Just to get more real estate for what's important.

Edit:
My recent feature requests concerning tracks (minimize all tracks, show thumbnail view for only specific tracks, grouping tracks, removing the video/audio track separation) can all be seen in this video:
Last edited by julian_b on Mon May 11, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tom Early

Re: Minimize All Audio/Video tracks

PostMon May 11, 2020 12:25 am

I'd rather they be hidden instead, what if I just want to work on video but don't want all my clips to be right at the bottom of the screen? Avid has this feature and it's fantastic.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

julian_b

PostMon May 11, 2020 2:45 am

Tom Early wrote:I'd rather they be hidden instead, what if I just want to work on video but don't want all my clips to be right at the bottom of the screen? Avid has this feature and it's fantastic.

Do you happen to know of a youtube video demonstrating the feature in AVID. I'm curious to see how it works. Or can you tell me what's called?

Completely hiding them would be good of course. But maybe with some kind of indicator? You don't want to edit your timeline and completely forget about some tracks.
And maybe hidden tracks should be locked automatically to prevent accidentally knocking everything out of sync?

Or maybe just minimizing them a lot, not hiding them. Like the very low tracks on the color page?
minimized tracks.png
minimized tracks.png (7.41 KiB) Viewed 4614 times

This way, you would also still have the tracks as a visual reference.

That would actually in a way overlap with my other feature request to display the film strip of only specific tracks while all others stay in "Plain" style with a very low height.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=113371

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:24 am

Yes, in current Resolve timeline layout it could be really useful to hide audio only tracks area. That bottom audio tracks area takes a lot of useful space.

But instead of "Minimize All Audio/Video tracks" it is way better to redesign timeline layout in more flexible way without hard separation between audio and video tracks. So you can quickly use any area of the tracks without any limitations.
Another useful option to save timeline space - group tracks (sort of Compound Track)

Here is example how it works in other apps. You just place audio tracks at the bottom as you like and scroll to that area if you need to edit audio.

BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Jim Simon

PostMon May 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Already asked for.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=107988
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

julian_b

PostMon May 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Already asked for.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=107988

Not exactly.
We have many different request here coming together.
I want a shortcut to minimize and restore Video or Audio tracks.

The post you linked to seem to want a shortcut to increase/decrease the track height incrementally.

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Yes, in current Resolve timeline layout it could be really useful to hide audio only tracks area. That bottom audio tracks area takes a lot of useful space.

But instead of "Minimize All Audio/Video tracks" it is way better to redesign timeline layout in more flexible way without hard separation between audio and video tracks.

You mean the VEGAS way? :mrgreen:
I ******* love the Vegas' timeline. The best there is.
They just said "**** that video/audio separation! Let the user arrange them however they want!"
I'll always miss that when working in other NLEs. I never understood why anybody would limit them to "All Video tracks up" and "All Audio tracks down". It always seemed stupid and restricting to me.
I just never wanted to bring this up as a feature request, because people don't like change and it's a very different way to the way to tracks are locked in place now.
But once you used it, you know it's superior and just aweseome.

Demo of free tracks:
https://streamable.com/w2q61e

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Another useful option to save timeline space - group tracks (sort of Compound Track)

+1
Another feature I'd love to see.

Demo of Track Groups:
https://streamable.com/2go7u7

And this just shows how flexible the free audio/video tracks are:
A custom collapse all video/audio tracks feature made by Vegas:
https://streamable.com/f7255t
Last edited by julian_b on Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jim Simon

PostMon May 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Julian Böhme wrote:The post you linked to seem to want a shortcut to increase/decrease the track height incrementally.

I don't thin that's true. Premiere Pro allows the user to assign Track Heights to various shortcuts.

One shortcut could have expanded video only, another could have expanded audio only, a third could shrink both sets, etc.

It's the same request, I think.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

julian_b

PostMon May 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Julian Böhme wrote:The post you linked to seem to want a shortcut to increase/decrease the track height incrementally.

I don't thin that's true. Premiere Pro allows the user to assign Track Heights to various shortcuts.

One shortcut could have expanded video only, another could have expanded audio only, a third could shrink both sets, etc.

It's the same request, I think.

BTW: You misunderstood my request anyway.

I think you guys are referring to something like in the following video, right?
Either incrementally or totally minimizing them to the lowest track height.

There's a difference between shinking the height auf all audio tracks and collapsing the audio area / hiding the tracks.
What I want is to collapse the audio area or even hiding it.

Position the divider of Audio/Video tracks in the middle of the timeline, so that Audio and Video tracks both have the same height.
Now image you would shrinken all audio tracks linke in the video above. They would occupy less space in the audio track area, but the divider stays at the same position, meaning the audio track area would still occupy the same amount of screen real estate. It's just that the tracks in that area are now smaller displayed.
But what I want, is a key that instantly almost removes/hides the audio track area. Like dragging the divider to the bottom of the screen. This allows the video tracks to occupy all the available space.
The individual audio track heights would remain unchanged.

Tom Early

PostMon May 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Julian Böhme wrote:They just said "**** that video/audio separation! Let the user arrange them however they want!"
I'll always miss that when working in other NLEs.

You can also do this in Avid, and move the time ruler wherever you want too. And have more of them, each at different frame rates.

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:09 pm

If you look at "Feature Requests" forum, there are really large amount of requests about better Timeline. I really want to believe that Resolve/Fairlight timeline will be redesigned and will include best options from Vegas/Reaper/(maybe Edius and Avid as well?), but same time i am not too optimistic because starting from version 12 i send endless amount of detailed emails and forum posts to support, but nothing was changed globally in Timeline logic from that time. They add only some tiny useful options to timeline. And this looks really strange.

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:27 pm

Another stupid problem with A/V tracks separator is that it follows to middle toolbar position in very strange way. When you drag middle toolbar few times, audio tracks area slowly moves to from bottom to top. Very annoying behavior.

Tom Early

PostMon May 11, 2020 7:10 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Another stupid problem with A/V tracks separator is that it follows to middle toolbar position in very strange way. When you drag middle toolbar few times, audio tracks area slowly moves to from bottom to top. Very annoying behavior.

I don't think anyone's going to be spending their edit session moving the timeline/monitor divider and and down all the time...

Tom Early

PostMon May 11, 2020 7:12 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:i am not too optimistic because starting from version 12 i send endless amount of detailed emails and forum posts to support, but nothing was changed globally in Timeline logic from that time.

If it's just one or two people asking for it, then asking over and over again isn't going to help.

Not saying I'm not in favour of some of these requests. Moving tracks around wherever you like, hiding them, grouping them, all sounds good to me.

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon May 11, 2020 7:32 pm

Tom Early wrote:
Dmitry Shijan wrote:Another stupid problem with A/V tracks separator is that it follows to middle toolbar position in very strange way. When you drag middle toolbar few times, audio tracks area slowly moves to from bottom to top. Very annoying behavior.

I don't think anyone's going to be spending their edit session moving the timeline/monitor divider and and down all the time...

Dragging middle toolbar up and down during editing is very common action if you use single monitor. Also Resolve Timeline UI and layouts are made in the way that require dragging during editing. No option to fullscreen timeline only on second monitor, No quick button to quick zoom timeline to max screen size. Too "fat" toolbars with large icons and large amount of empty space.

Charles Bennett

PostWed May 13, 2020 12:12 am

Why not put yourself out of some of your misery by just getting a second monitor?
Accept that Resolve is Resolve and Fairlight is Fairlight. They are not Vegas, or, thank goodness, Reaper.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Dmytro Shijan

PostWed May 13, 2020 8:22 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Why not put yourself out of some of your misery by just getting a second monitor?
Accept that Resolve is Resolve and Fairlight is Fairlight. They are not Vegas, or, thank goodness, Reaper.

I already have 2 monitors, but i prefer second monitor for full screen preview or scopes, but not for dual screen timeline layout.
This is Feature Requests forum and people ask for useful things that missing in Resolve here.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:49 am

+1 to minimising all tracks - also to enlarging reducing tracks with a shortcut - plus having shortcuts to switch layouts (and for those layouts to include track heights)

ironlion37

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 4:50 pm

SOLVED: Shift + Mouse Scroll Wheel

Hover the mouse over the video or audio section to affect that section.

OP: Please change thread title to include [Solved] if this is the answer you were looking for.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests