Ability to search subtitles

• Author

Keith Sanborn

Ability to search subtitles

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 5:07 pm

I'm working a lot subtitling feature films in various languages. Sometimes the translations have to be adjusted after the initial .srt file has already been imported and various typographic adjustments made. It would be really helpful if I could search within the subtitles for a specific text. Is this already there? Sorry if i missed it. I've done a few searches and couldn't find an explanation as to how to do that.

Here are some kudos: I had a project almost 2 hours long, Premiere Pro would only import part of the 1000+ subtitles and would get the time code and synch wrong. And I have been doing this kind of thing in Premiere for several years. After beating my head against the wall for about an hour and realizing it wasn't me, I booted up Resolve. Studio. Davinci Resolve Studio handled it beautifully, though it took a bit of time to figure just exactly how to get the .srt file onto the timeline. It's not quite so obvious as the manual states.

Mark Grgurev

Re: Ability to search subtitles

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 12:24 am

Keith Sanborn wrote: It would be really helpful if I could search within the subtitles for a specific text. Is this already there? Sorry if i missed it. I've done a few searches and couldn't find an explanation as to how to do that.

I only have a little experience using subtitles in Resolve but I don't think there is a feature to search for subtitles (or ADR cues for that matter) and there should be.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 1:40 am

+1
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.5.1)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.2.2.012
nvidia: 441.66 studio

vincentlepes

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Yes!

I currently have to cross-reference an outside SRT application with Resolve to find the spot where something was said as I am cutting interviews into documentary footage, and it is a laborious process. The ability to search for words in the subtitles and quickly identify their location in the timeline would be amazing. As it is now, I also have to reference a master, unedited interview because if I do any editing, the timecodes will change relative to the SRT I'm; referencing against. So I have to use an app to locate the phrase within the SRT, reference that timecode in the original, full interview timeline, and then mark it there to see it reflected in the edited interview or go hunting for it manually.

If I could search within the subtitles, I could edit as I like within a timeline and use the search to get to the parts I want to work with. This would be so much faster!!!

Consider this my +1!!
Resolve 16.0.0.64

• Mac Pro 6,1
    3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
    16GB 1866MHz DDR3
    2x AMD FirePro D500 GPU
    3GB VRAM
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6

• Macbook Pro 15,3
    2.3GHz 8-Core Core i9
    32GB 2400MHz DDR4
    AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20
    4GB VRAM
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6

joselmartinezdiaz

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 12:43 pm

+1

Denis Pilon

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 7:07 pm

+ 1
Supermicro PC 7048GR-TR
Win 10 Pro
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W v3 / 10-Core 3.1GHz
RAM: 128GB (8 x 16GB 2133MHz)
2 x NVidia Titan X (EVGA 12G-P4-2992-KR)
Avid Artist DNxIO
System storage: 512GB SSD SATA
Storage: Accusys Exasan A16-S3 / 96TB total / RAID5

Sebastian Hoyer

PostSun Jul 12, 2020 10:44 am

+1

AndrewKeil

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm

+1
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
DRS 17
MB Pro 15" 2018 2.9GHz i9 32GB
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB/BM eGPU RX580 8GB
Samsung X5 1TB NVME Cache
OWS Thunderbay RAID 40TB
Viewsonic VP3268 4K
BM US 4K

Hans Barbé

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 7:05 pm

+1

brediknight

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 4:28 am

+1

brandoncmanning

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 pm

+1

Sergey Mirontsev

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 8:41 am

+1
Blackmagic Design Certified Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
Windows 10 Pro 20H2, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (461.92 Studio)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1.1.0009

Maxwellx

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Keith Sanborn wrote:I'm working a lot subtitling feature films in various languages. Sometimes the translations have to be adjusted after the initial .srt file has already been imported and various typographic adjustments made. It would be really helpful if I could search within the subtitles for a specific text. Is this already there? Sorry if i missed it. I've done a few searches and couldn't find an explanation as to how to do that.

Here are some kudos: I had a project almost 2 hours long, Premiere Pro would only import part of the 1000+ subtitles and would get the time code and synch wrong. And I have been doing this kind of thing in Premiere for several years. After beating my head against the wall for about an hour and realizing it wasn't me, I booted up Resolve. Studio. Davinci Resolve Studio handled it beautifully, though it took a bit of time to figure just exactly how to get the .srt file onto the timeline. It's not quite so obvious as the manual states.

I WANT THAT TOO!

And what could be nice too would be to be able to make an "automatic" cute around a particular word or phrase.

Sergey Mirontsev

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Sergey Mirontsev wrote:+1

For the fastest navigate, this should not be a search a la "Ctrl-F, type, Enter, Next... Next... Next", but a "Search on type" with simultaneous filtering of blocks of text where the substring is found.
Blackmagic Design Certified Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
Windows 10 Pro 20H2, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (461.92 Studio)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1.1.0009

Matt White

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 9:51 pm

+1
Specs:
Puget Systems Build: Windows 10 Pro, B550 VISION D, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 64.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, BM MiniMonitor 4k to FSI BM210 and LG UHD, Apogee Symphony Desktop, Resolve 17.1 Studio

2fanatyk2

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 pm

+1+1+1+1 :-)

ymagic

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 am

+1

Octavian Mot

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 7:21 am

A search feature would be really nice!

Currently, we basically use @vincentlepes method stated above and it involves lots of ALT+TABs between the app where we have the transcriptions and Resolve.

+1
mots.us

pmanczak.pl

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 am

Yes, ability to find & replace in subtitles would be great! Also, in my case, keyboard shortcut for adding new subtitles doesn't work...

jasond

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 12:00 pm

+1

I would like to be able to search not only subtitle tracks but also any markers and filenames.
Basically a find panel where you can filter and show and click or cursor through all the matches in your entire library.

Also, would be nice if the mechanism for entering/updating subtitles while playing/pausing the video could be completely handled via the keyboard.

jasond

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 pm

As I am new, I am finding that while I can use subtitles for taking notes on each timeline, it's actually a lot easier to open the media in media view and watch it at 2-4x speed while using hotkeys to add markers instead of subtitles.

The markers allow three fields + time and duration, which is a bit nicer than subtitles.
And I'm sure we can export and convert markers into subtitles either with a script or another tool...

So, my workflow is now:
Drag media into a project.
Go to the media tab.
Watch the videos using space and L to adjust the speed
Hitting Ctrl+M to add and edit a marker in one action.
Adding Keywords (I use hashtags), Name and Notes

Inside the master view that appears at the bottom, the videos contain a list of markers that can be opened and searched.

I right click on the Fields and add Keyword and Comments which allow me to display Keywords and Notes, respectively.

The markers are really nice.
I'm still confused a bit about why the markers added to a timeline don't have the same functionality as markers added to clips in the media storage, and I see some weird behavior with adding markers to tracks such as audio/video (where they appear twice in the Edit Index) and adding them to the timeline or the subtitle tracks, where they don't appear anywhere...

But since I'm only using the tool for studying videos and tagging important information, all I really need is the first tab. The other tabs (cut, edit, fusion, color, fairlight, and deliver) I think I can ignore for my needs for now.

Thank you. Problem solved for me at least.... This gives me a great video database that I can use to quickly find important information without having to search subtitle files and then open videos as I was doing before with InqScribe and Subtitle Edit.

NOTE: It would be amazing if the Markers dialog box would be docked or at least not prevent the video from playing while I type inside it.

CORRECTION: The marker dialog works great. I just needed to map a different key than spacebar to the play/pause. By doing this, I can leave the dialog up and type while the video is playing. A few more hotkeys that do not interfere with text entry and I can move the video and type subtitles or notes over a small duration and set the marker start and end points. Beautiful. Even better, there is no need to click done in the dialog. It saves automatically. And you can start a new marker with Ctrl+M even if you are still in a previous one. Automatic save of the old one and the new one pops up. Super fast workflow. Superb work... I just had to adjust my thoughts to those of the developers and they did this quite nicely I think.

Morgan Gold

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 pm

+100
2020 M1 MacBook Air

Edgar Bueltemeyer

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 am

Gosh,

that would be so easy to implement.
There is an "Edit Index" List that just needs to include subtitles.
Done.

AND:
PLEASE FIX THOSE DAMN MARKERS!!!!! :evil: :twisted:

Example If you are working on a timeline and want so mark something on the timeline, because you are using it inside another timeline... You Can't!

If you want to set markers on clips while editing and see those markers anywhere else. Nope.

You are pulling a long recording (seminar, lecture, interview) into a timeline and start marking and cutting simultaneously (because that's perfectly possible). And then you want to see normal markers and duration markers in the Media Pool. Computer says NO...

Just this behaviour of markers cost me HOURS of additional (unpaid, of course) work.
I sometimes use Google docs to write down notes, because you will never know..

That can't be the way it is meant to be. Blackmagic, i highly appreciate the cool features, effects, codecs, Fusion, etc.... But, PLEASE, can you create maybe a new branch of Resolve that, feature wise, stays were it is, and just finish the things that are not finished.

Thank You! --RANT END--
--
Machine 1:
Resolve 16 - BM Intensity Pro 4K - Tangent Wave
Win. 10
HP Z620 - Dual 8 core
NVIDIA QUADRO K2000+GTX 1060

Machine 2:
Resolve 16.1b3 - BM Ultrastudio SDI USB3
Win. 10
ATI Radeon R9 390

Laptop: DR 16 / i7 Quad 7 GTX 860m