(Re)conform: Allow mass replace of clips with Timeline clips

• Author

TheBloke

(Re)conform: Allow mass replace of clips with Timeline clips

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 1:55 pm

There are two ways I know of to reconform one or more clips to existing clips in the media pool:

1. Select a clip in the Media Pool, right-click on a clip in timeline, choose "Conform Lock with Media Pool clip"
2. Disable Conform Lock on one or more clips in a timeline, then use Reconform From Bins.

Of these methods, method 1 can conform the selected clip to (nearly) any other clip, including selecting a Timeline or Compound Clip. The only limitation is that it appears you can't choose a Multicam Clip as the Conform With target (no error is given, it simply doesn't change anything.)

However, a big limitation of method 1 is that for some reason it can only be run on one clip at a time in the timeline. Selecting multiple clips in a timeline and then right-clicking will see "Conform Lock with Media Pool clip" greyed out.

Method 2 of course works with any number of clips, and is much more powerful. However its big limitation is that it will not reconform to Timeline clips. It will conform to media clips, and also to Compound Clips.

If you try to use Reconform From Bins to reconform to a bin containing Timeline clips that match your specified criteria, it will always say "The source media clips in the selected bins are not able to conform the timeline".

I have two requests in this area:

1. Allow "Conform Lock with Media Pool clip" to work with multiple clips at once. If multiple clips are selected, do not grey out "Conform Lock with..", but allow it to be selected as normal. All clips selected in the timeline will be conformed to the selected clip in the media pool.

If this method works with one clip at a time, I see no reason why it can't work with multiple clips.

Perhaps add a warning "Are you sure you want to conform multiple clips to the selected media pool clip?" if there is concern that this will sometimes not be desirable (but there's always Undo.)

2. Allow Reconform From Bins to reconform to any clip which is a valid Conform target. In other words, allow Reconform From Bins to target Timeline Clips, exactly as "Conform Lock with.." is already able to do.

This could either be achieved by simply allowing Timelines to be found using the standard criteria, or the criteria could be extended with a new set of checkboxes in the Reconform From Bins dialogue, which specifies the valid targets, with a default of:
Media Clips [ X ]
Timeline clips [ ]
Compound clips [ ]
Multicam clips [ ]

Personal rationale:
I recently had a situation where I wanted to replace 110 edited clips in a timeline with nested timelines, so I could apply a single Fusion effect to all of them. I had hoped this would simply be a matter of selecting them in groups and choosing "Conform Lock with..", or else using Reconform From Bins. I was disappointed that neither could work, and it took me some time to do it all manually. (I've since learnt that it may have worked if I'd used Compound Clips instead of Timelines, although using CCs currently has a crash bug that probably would have prevented my using them.)
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Robert Arnold

Re: (Re)conform: Allow mass replace of clips with Timeline c

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 10:15 pm

TheBloke wrote:1. Allow "Conform Lock with Media Pool clip" to work with multiple clips at once. If multiple clips are selected, do not grey out "Conform Lock with..", but allow it to be selected as normal. All clips selected in the timeline will be conformed to the selected clip in the media pool.

If this method works with one clip at a time, I see no reason why it can't work with multiple clips.

Perhaps add a warning "Are you sure you want to conform multiple clips to the selected media pool clip?" if there is concern that this will sometimes not be desirable (but there's always Undo.)

Yes, this please!!!

TheBloke

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 pm

An annual bump for feature request 1 in particular. To re-state it more concisely:

Please allow "Conform Lock With Media Pool clip" to work with multiple clips selected on the timeline. With multiple clips selected, all clips selected will attempt to conform lock to the active media pool clip.

Today I had to perform an individual Conform Lock operation SEVENTY TWO TIMES, one by one. I have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it, but still. It was very much not fun. What could have taken 10 seconds took 10 minutes.

As to why I had to do it 72 times: Reconform From Bins didn't work right with a bunch of clips. I don't know why. It successfully replaced them all, but 72 were misaligned so I had to undo.

Very strange because a) when I manually did Conform Lock With Media Pool Clip it worked fine, no out-of-sync, so clearly a conform was possible, and b) there were 30 clips on the timeline that reconformed just fine. Just not most of them.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

LeonhardRender

PostTue May 02, 2023 10:12 pm

+1
2023 and we still don't have the feature. It's something very important to save working time.
Last edited by LeonhardRender on Fri May 05, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipbowser

PostWed May 03, 2023 2:10 pm

+1

I would love to be able to use Conform Lock With Media Pool clip with multiple clips selected in the timeline. I have to do this a lot with my workflow and using the Reconform From Bins... dialogue box is cumbersome and sometimes forces you to create temporary conform bins just to isolate the single clip you want to conform to. Then you have to navigate to that same bin you just created in a new dialogue box and uncheck everything except that bin. I'm doing duplicate work for a process that could just be a single command with the clips I've already selected in the Media Pool.

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 04, 2023 12:21 am

philipbowser wrote:I would love to be able to use Conform Lock With Media Pool clip with multiple clips selected in the timeline. I have to do this a lot with my workflow and using the Reconform From Bins... dialogue box is cumbersome and sometimes forces you to create temporary conform bins just to isolate the single clip you want to conform to.

+1 to this. It's caught me a few times as well.

I'd go a step further and provide the ability to permanently turn off Conform Lock on the timeline clips in the project setup. For me, the clips are in a state of "flux" until the project is really finished, and THEN I lock everything.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

dimsum

PostTue May 23, 2023 3:40 pm

A missive +100 for this!!

There is no way at the moment to replace source of all clips in timeline. The Reconform from bin does not allow the selection or filter of a custom item name from the media pool (e.g. a compound clip or using a timeline as source).

And, yes, please add the option to "Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip" to multiple clips!!
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

GregAusina

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 8:32 am

+1 for me as well.

I have done a very long recording with an ATEM iso pro. I need to reconnect the drp to the raw recorded media from cameras. I have a slight desync due to the length of the recordings ( almost 2 hours per takes and around 10 frames offset between the two cams ). I've manually resync the multiclip and I need to conform lock this multiclip to replace the ISOs in the timeline. I have more than 500 angles switches during the day of shooting !
Grégoire AUSINA / Gisèle productions
Davinci 18.6.5 on Windows 10 / latest Nvidia studio driver / Dual Xeon E-2650v4 / supermicro X10DRG-Q / 128 Go RAM / GUI GTX 1070 / Cuda GTX 3090 - FSI CM250 - Tangent Elements - Accusys A12S3-p+

SandroSchreiber

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 8:13 am

+1
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 6:02 pm

+1
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

shinjin

PostMon Aug 21, 2023 3:59 pm

+1

movalex

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 2:36 pm

It seems we are still there with recent version, so I will just ask the same. Please add multiple clips reconform from bin.

Timothy Clark

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 3:11 am

I'll be the 1st +1 of 2024

pappyjay

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 1:31 am

+1 billion!

Maryan

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 9:27 pm

+1 please allow multiple Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip