Option to decouple Windows on Shared Nodes?

• Author

Mel Matsuoka

Option to decouple Windows on Shared Nodes?

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:56 pm

It'd be nice if you could "decouple" the position/tracking of Power Windows on Shared Nodes, so that you can share the color-correction setting across clips, but each clip could have its own independent window tracking.

A use case would be when grading a series of talking heads, where you've created a windowed Hue Vs. Hue curve to fix the subject's skin tone (windowed, because their skin tone was also very close to the color of their wardrobe), but the position of the heads move around from shot to shot. I'd like to be able track the window on each shot independently, but preserve the Hue Curve settings as Shared setting.

This could give you the best of both worlds of Grouped Clips vs Shared Nodes.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Jim Simon

Re: Option to decouple Windows on Shared Nodes?

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 9:23 pm

Wouldn't you use the Shared Node for the color, and normal nodes for the tracking?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 9:38 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Wouldn't you use the Shared Node for the color, and normal nodes for the tracking?

Not if I want the color settings within the tracked windows to be shared across multiple clips.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 10:55 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Not if I want the color settings within the tracked windows to be shared across multiple clips.

I'm confused. When you track a power window, you're creating an animated alpha channel. Why couldn't that be fed to a shared node?
Last edited by Mark Grgurev on Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote:Not if I want the color settings within the tracked windows to be shared across multiple clips.

I'm confused. When you track a power window, you're creating an animated alpha channel. Why couldn't that be fed to a shaded node?

Very good point. I actually do use this method for creating master key sources for downstream nodes, but for some reason in the current job I'm doing, that method never occurred to me. Thanks for the reminder.

That said, It'd still be nice if you could decouple the window from the Shared Node color settings, if only to minimize the opportunity for messy node graphs when doing things like this.

Also, until Resolve adds the ability to copy & paste multiple nodes as objects, then this "decoupled" concept would still be better, because I wouldn't have to constantly copy and paste the window node separately from the grade node.

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Very good point. I actually do use this method for creating master key sources for downstream nodes, but for some reason in the current job I'm doing, that method never occurred to me. Thanks for the reminder.

Yea I hate when that happens lol

Mel Matsuoka wrote:That said, It'd still be nice if you could decouple the window from the Shared Node color settings, if only to minimize the opportunity for messy node graphs when doing things like this.

Also, until Resolve adds the ability to copy & paste multiple nodes as objects, then this "decoupled" concept would still be better, because I wouldn't have to constantly copy and paste the window node separately from the grade node.

I'm very anal about implementation so I can't +1 this idea until I can imagine a way this could be implemented in a clean way.

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 12:26 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote:That said, It'd still be nice if you could decouple the window from the Shared Node color settings, if only to minimize the opportunity for messy node graphs when doing things like this.

I'm very anal about implementation so I can't +1 this idea until I can imagine a way this could be implemented in a clean way.

The obvious way to implement this is to simply add a "Detach from Shared Node" option to the flyout "…" menu for a selected Power Window, under the "Copy/Paste Track Data" items.

I also think it would be a good usability enhancement to change the way the window outline looks for Windows that are attached to shared nodes (perhaps a different bounding box color?), so it's clear that the window is a Shared one, and will affect other nodes if changed.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 4:08 am

Make a two node structure, one with the power window that feed the key to the shared nodes....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:17 pm

I'm still thinking this would not be a good idea as a new feature. That the desired result can be achieved using what we now have.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests