Fairlight - Zoom to selection, Zoom to previous view

• Author

tlegvold

Fairlight - Zoom to selection, Zoom to previous view

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 4:54 pm

While I'm really enjoying the Fairlight interface and workflow, there are still a few small details that I believe would make my workflow faster and help keep me in the zone while working.

One of the DAWs I've used extensively, Sonic Studio, has a great feature called "Zoom to Selection". Once you make a selection, be it a clip, range, whatever, a single keystroke (Cmd-G) will zoom in to that specific selection and fit it to the window. Cmd-P will take you back to the previous view (as will E for Entire, similar to Shift-Z in Fairlight).

When working across a bunch of clips or tracks, it's really convenient to select a clip or range, hit the keyboard shortcut and zoom in to exactly that bit, do whatever work is needed, then zoom right back out to where you were and move on to the next bit. Macro to micro and back with a keystroke.

In Resolve I make my selection, then need to hit Cmd + (or =) multiple times to zoom in, then go back and move the playhead that I left somewhere else in the timeline to the right spot (since zoom always follows the playhead), then zoom back in. It really breaks my flow. Yes, I could be better at remembering to move the playhead first, but for many operations, I don't need the playhead to be over the clip.

Resolve does have cool zooming features with Alt + mouse drag up/down as well as shift (for vertical zoom), but again, nothing that takes me directly to the selection I want to see instantly.

Essentially what I'm asking is a "Zoom to Selection" key combo that does just that, regardless of where the playhead is (which can be brought to the zoomed selection with a simple click on the timeline afterwards).

Hope this makes sense. It's really a time saver when you're editing a bunch of audio and need to quickly fly through things section by section.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Jim Simon

Re: Fairlight - Zoom to selection, Zoom to previous view

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 5:08 pm

Shift+Z will toggle zoom levels, centered on the playhead. Is that not sufficient?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

tlegvold

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 7:08 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Shift+Z will toggle zoom levels, centered on the playhead. Is that not sufficient?

Not sure, let me revisit it and see. From what I recall, Shift+Z will zoom out to the entire timeline, or back to wherever we were last. What I'm asking is a way to quickly and precisely zoom in to a specific selection, be it a clip, range, or whatever.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 12:14 am

My post from memory wasn't quite accurate. Shift+Z will toggle, but it won't properly center on the playhead, so that idea won't work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

RB Blackstone

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 8:59 pm

In Pro Tools, expand to selection is Option-F. It is under my hand all the time. It is a very useful addition to consider.

Simen Tobiassen

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 9:26 pm

Exactly what I have been looking for too, as I used it all the time in Premiere!

Simen Tobiassen

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Also, I miss the zoom tool, like in Premiere?/Photoshop, temporarily hitting the 'Z' key, while lassoing a selection of clips, and letting go of the 'Z' key; thereby being back where I were.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests