External render engine like Adobe Media Encoder

• Author

Timo92

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:24 am

One of the biggest disadvantages in Davinci Resolve in comparison to Premiere Pro is that it doesn't have an external render engine. This means that I can't continue to work while the program is rendering. This takes time in which I can't work, and time is money for me.

It would be nice to have an external renderer like Media Encoder, to which I can export the render and continue working while it's rendering.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: External render engine like Adobe Media Encoder

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:40 am

Let me quickly reiterate the common theme from this forum: it will use your computer resources, which is very bad. You might not have the power to do so. So no, you don’t need it. Premiere isn’t advanced enough, that is why it is there but not in Resolve.
I do stuff

Timo92

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:45 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Let me quickly reiterate the common theme from this forum: it will use your computer resources, which is very bad. You might not have the power to do so. So no, you don’t need it. Premiere isn’t advanced enough, that is why it is there but not in Resolve.

Hm? Of course it takes ressources. That is what renderers do. While they render, they take up ressources of my computer. But editing takes much less ressources than rendering, in my case, so for me, it would make sense to be able to edit while rendering.

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 1:58 pm

I hope this doesn't happen.

When you resume working in Premiere Pro, AME will pause because system resources are needed elsewhere, so it ends up being a wash anyway.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 2:09 pm

I hope they remove render queue completely because user might queue stuff one does not actually want to render and it all goes to waste then. A separate render manager is unprogrammable, no software in the world has it. And if they do, they don’t.
I do stuff

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Timo92 wrote:One of the biggest disadvantages in Davinci Resolve in comparison to Premiere Pro is that it doesn't have an external render engine. This means that I can't continue to work while the program is rendering.
Resolve does provide Remote Rendering which frees the primary workstation to continue working once a job has been added to the render queue.

AndrewKeil

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Jim Simon wrote: When you resume working in Premiere Pro, AME will pause because system resources are needed elsewhere, so it ends up being a wash anyway.

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 23.38.57.png
Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 23.38.57.png (31.27 KiB) Viewed 7659 times

As usual, I'm at a loss as to why presenting the user with a choice is a bad thing. Seems to be a common refrain for some reason.

You have to give users some credit, yes I'm not going to try and cut 4K on a laptop while churning out a timeline export with Noise reduction on every shot, but I can throw caution to the wind if I'm working at a decent workstation.

In fact, quite often I'll line up some motion graphics clips, most being PR4444 w Alpha's from AE in AME and have them whirring away in the background while getting not a single dropped frame in DR in the process. My laptop barely breaks a sweat.

Premiere also by and large works the same, queue up some exports in AME, go right back to your timeline and carry on working.
Computers have long been capable of handling multiple tasks like this, and if you shell out loads of money for some beast of a machine, I think you're entitled to wonder why it apparently can't do two things at once.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:54 am

a decade ago, the quantel machines where able to render out an export and keep working at the same time: if a real time operation was needed, the render paused and viceversa.

it is possible....

need to be coded right.

if you think about it, if I'm exporting something and at the same time I'm coloring, I spend most of my time on a single frame, barely using any resource, this can be used to render out frames.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 5:57 pm

I’ve never found the lack of an “external renderer ” to be a disadvantage, let alone a “big disadvantage”. And I’m someone who frequently runs out of RAM when I work—even with 96 GB of RAM—because I multitask like a crazy person.

Resolve’s “Remote Rendering” feature is the “external renderer” you speak of. Yes, it requires that you have another machine that can run Resolve Studio and access to your shared storage, but it works great, and does not take up any processing resources on your local workstation. And if “time is money” for you, it’s worth investing in such a setup, because it allows you to save more time, and make more money.

That said, I do think it would be kind of cool if Resolve could act as a “frame server” to external apps like ffmpeg. But it’s hardly a “disadvantage” that it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Timo92

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I hope this doesn't happen.

When you resume working in Premiere Pro, AME will pause because system resources are needed elsewhere, so it ends up being a wash anyway.

I don't know what Premiere Pro program you've been using, but mine doesn't do that. I've been editing and rendering videos at the same time for a long time already in Premiere Pro.

I can render videos and edit videos at the same time on one machine in Premiere Pro. I can't in DaVinci Resolve.

GrizzlyAK

PostWed May 26, 2021 3:03 am

Yeah, +1. This would be nice. I'm using AME right not because I have some old AVI files (and, previously, some MPEG) files, that DR doesn't even recognize on the Media Page. I was excited when I read that 17.2 brought support for AVI, but it's not really support, as it is only for output. The half-baked Media Management functionality lists AVI as an input, even for individual clips, but they apparently need to be in the Media Pool, which you can't do because DR doesn't recognize them. So... I was able to do a kinda-sorta import from Premiere using XML, and all the AVI files showed up, but as Audio-only files, so, again, no support. Plus, DR didn't create a timeline form the export. Adobe Media Encoder is an awesome tool for being able to off-line export from Premiere directly or, in my current case, batch TRANSCODE files that DR doesn't recognize. It's definitely better than command-line FFMPEG, although Handbrake is not bad.

I would love to see BMD include this functionality somewhere.
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

Ramin Hunter

PostFri Dec 31, 2021 12:19 am

+1, who's to tell me my computer can or cannot handle the extra load?! Maybe I have a monster computer and I want to continue editing while rendering :D Why some people "blindly" defend a piece of software is beyond me. After all, these topics is what makes a software better. Plus if there was an external renderer, maybe I'd queue all my exports, close DR at the end of the day and only run the renderer which is ultimately easier on resources.

Also, I think the obvious advantage AME has over DR is the simplicity of organizing renders. Things like formats, re-ordering, duplicating, skipping, etc...

Darren Abate

PostThu May 26, 2022 3:35 am

I've been wishing for this for a long time. It's my dream to be able to completely rid my life of Adobe products but the one thing I keep having to go back for is Media Encoder. Having a standalone application for converting files (and that can work with so many codecs) is incredibly handy; I just wish I could have that from BMD instead of having to keep using ME.

Joe Shapiro

PostSat May 28, 2022 2:44 am

+1

I too go to AME when I have a transcode need. Kinda funny since I try hard to avoid Premiere.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

borgen8

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 8:33 pm

Davinci doesn't seem to have nearly as many format options for export as media encoder. That alone would be nice.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests