Expanded clip-metadata display support

• Author

Mel Matsuoka

Expanded clip-metadata display support

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 am

On many longform jobs that come in using multiple different cameras (and even different shooting profiles on the same camera), codecs, etc., I find myself often needing to examine the embedded clip metadata using an external tool like Exiftool or MediaInfo, just so I know how the clip was recorded, or other "forensic" data that is helpful when conforming or grading.

I would love for Resolve to be able to display all of a clip's embedded metadata, right inside the Media Pool (or even better, in the Color/Edit page by right-clicking on the clip), so you don't have to go through a multiple-step process (at least two of those steps being the simple act of revealing the clip in the filesystem!).

For other formats like RED and Alexa, they have their own exhaustive embedded metadata that can be exposed using their format specific methods, as well (currently you have to use RedLine and MetaExtract, respectively). For example, a very common and useful metadata in R3D files is the “Record Frame Rate” metadata, which shows the exact framerate the camera captured in (i.e., overcranked footage), but there is no way to determine this framerate from within Resolve itself. This sort of info is indispensable for editing, so if the metadata exists to convey this information to the editor, then it should be able to be exposed in the Resolve UI, somehow.

For conforming and dailies processing, this information is very useful to have, and it would save a lot of time to be able to see it directly within Resolve.

I can also see extending this metadata support as being potentially useful for other possible improved features, such as expanded, user definable placeholder variables in the Deliver page or Media Pool, and the Resolve scripting API in general.
Last edited by Mel Matsuoka on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)

Peter Cave

Re: Expanded clip-metadata display support

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 8:30 am

+1
Resolve 16.2.6
Mac OSX 10.14.6, Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 8GB
Decklink Studio 2, FSI LM1770 Monitor

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 3:06 pm

Yeah, more information is better.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:15 am

I'd like to add:

Please work with Sony so that all of the metadata that their Catalyst Browse software can see is available in Resolve. This includes shutter, iris, iso, white balance, gamma, profile, bit-rate, etc.

and of course +1 in general
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests