Move playhead to cursor keyboard command

• Author

unphaseduser98

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 3:55 am

It would be nice to move the playhead to the cursor relative to the mouse cursor's position on the edit (and Fairlight) timeline with a keyboard command, similarly to Premiere Pro and FCPX.

Jim Simon

Re: Move playhead to cursor keyboard command

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Why?

I mean, you have to have your hand on the mouse to place the cursor in position anyway. So click and be done with it. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

unphaseduser98

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 11:15 pm

It is incrementally faster and more intuitive to make the playhead go where you're mouse cursor is already located instead of having to "aim" on the timeline bar and adjust with JKL keys. Premiere Pro and FCPX have this feature.

skinnypapa

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 5:52 pm

+1

I need this in my life.

virgo47

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:43 am

There are multiple questions about this feature, probably from people coming from other NLEs, I also sorely miss this feature - even after spending tens of hours in Resolve. While in Vegas it works on click, I understand why we don't want this in Resolve, but there is no reason to not having this action at all. We can assign it to any key later, it doesn't even have to be assigned by default. This can be done in an elegant way that does not disturb the "Resolve way" at all and serve obviously many users.

It's not only "move that cursor up, click there, go down again - how hard can it be?!" it's often go up, mess around, of course toggle "N" as/if necessary. I know those of us who want/need this just have broken workflow - but there is no single "right" workflow in Resolve either. Various workflows are for various needs and styles of edits, many users are more Edit page focused.

I already changed many habits for Resolve (including how I move the playhead) but that doesn't mean I can't think of better way. Sure, there are many things I like and I miss them in my "old" NLE I'm trying to migrate from too. It's not "how can Resolve miss this one essential feature?" There are tons of things Resolve does rather strangely (like no pause, only stop with toggle option whether it returns or not? why there is no go back to previous position, but there is play from previous position? many things make little sense for different workflows), not to mention clearly buggy behavior (no undo for many Inspector changes?).

I don't think we want Resolve to be Premiere/Vegas/whatever. But it really is unnecessarily hard on many places. I often open that 3000+ page manual and search for some keywords as it's very hard to find what you're looking for when you don't know it yet. Sometimes we get "manual page xy" hint, which is helpful, and even then it's not necessarily easy. Sometimes it's just RTFM.

I know Resolve is powerful and it's not the first powerful software I used. But I never spent so much time on forums and google for elementary stuff. Luckily there are many good resources about Resolve including many videos, but oftentimes one does not have any clue why something doesn't work (disabled Delete Gaps even when there is a gap in all tracks?) or something doesn't show up in inspector (just double click the section header, you stupid!). These are tiny things, really, and they would save time to users and a lot of posts here.

Sure, not all repeatedly asked features are good, but "move playhead to cursor" can be implemented in non-disruptive way as an action with optional key shortcut if click is not possible, that's fine with me.

zrichli

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 1:12 am

Answer to keyboard shortcut

Well, I accidentally pushed something on the keyboard, and the playhead simply stick to my mouse cursor. This behavior allows me to quickly scan any frame on any clip in the timeline. This is a much better solution than Premiere's KB shortcut to bring the playhead to mouse cursor. Unfortunately I can't reproduce this behavior, does anyone know this?

ChrisSpiegl

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 8:45 am

I'd love to see this feature added. +1
Creating Videos at youtube.com/ChrisSpiegl
Working on a 2021 MacBook Pro M1Max 16" (64GB 1TB 32 Core) with an LG Ultra-wide Monitor
Creating with the Canon EOS R5 C · 2x Canon EOS R · Atomos Ninja V · Zoom F6 · ATEM Mini Pro ISO

ChrisSpiegl

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 8:21 pm

This topic is also discussed in another thread. Here is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=99286#p819118

In said thread there are workarounds for Windows and macOS coming up.

Windows via AutoHotKey

and macOS is something I am working on with Hammerspoon.

davici-resolve-move-playhead-to-cursor.gif
davici-resolve-move-playhead-to-cursor.gif (819.75 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Creating Videos at youtube.com/ChrisSpiegl
Working on a 2021 MacBook Pro M1Max 16" (64GB 1TB 32 Core) with an LG Ultra-wide Monitor
Creating with the Canon EOS R5 C · 2x Canon EOS R · Atomos Ninja V · Zoom F6 · ATEM Mini Pro ISO

michaeljxy

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 12:55 pm

I'd love to add this feature +1+1+1+1+1+1

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests