Request for the forum or press releases for DR updates

• Author

aglyons

Request for the forum or press releases for DR updates

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 7:39 pm

This request is actually for this forum or for the press releases.

The new release that was just announced, 16.2.6 and other releases previously, there is always this last line.

"Multiple performance and stability improvements"

Which is great to see. But, it would be great to see what those are. If any specific bugs were resolved with the release I for one would like to know which bugs were identified and resolved (no pun intended) with that release. If I had a bug that was affecting my workflow, it'd be nice to know it was fixed.

Thx.

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Request for the forum or press releases for DR updates

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 8:01 pm

I totally agree with this. "Multiple performance and stability improvements" is meaningless info for the release notes of a professional, mission-critical application like Resolve. It's not enough information to allow the end user to make an educated decision on whether to upgrade or not.

None of the "features" of 16.2.6 are of interest to me, but I am always interested in "performance and stability improvements". But if I don't know if these specific improvements will noticeably impact my work in either of those specific regards, then there's not much incentive to upgrade if the currently installed version works good enough.

Granted, these unspecified "performance and stability improvements" may be so minor that nobody would ever notice them (e.g. code optimization or refactoring), but in that case, I'd almost rather not see this as a "feature" of the new release, because to my way of thinking it should be expected that every new release has stability and performance improvements in some fashion, even if it's minor. But if the "improvements" are related to things that have been specifically discussed on this forum, for example, then those things should be specifically mentioned in the release notes, so that you can make an informed decision on making the upgrade or not.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 8:04 pm

For a more specific example of what useful release notes look like, the Mocha Pro release notes are almost too detailed, but I do appreciate that it seems that every miniscule fix and known issue is documented in the notes.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

tlegvold

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 4:44 am

I agree. When working commercially with professional tools, stability will always be more important than added features. I'd rather that what's already there works 100% of the time, is reliable and solid, than it has all the latest bells and whistles that 2-3% of editors use in an attempt to be on the bleeding edge.

An overview of what issues have been resolved in each new build/release would be immensely helpful, and is very common across a range of other software I use. Some judicious proofreading can prevent any company or trade secrets from slipping out.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Jim Simon

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 3:16 pm

I have on many occasions seen specific bugs that I experienced mentioned in the Release Notes.

I would presume the general statement under discussion here doesn't include those.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests