Looping or Extendable Clips Option

• Author

Jane Pescador

Looping or Extendable Clips Option

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 8:20 am

I want to request the feature to set an option to extend clips or loop them in a unlimited time.

For example I have an animated background/video overlay/digital juice/animated logo etc. that is 5 seconds & I want to use it for about 30mins or longer in a timeline, the solution/workaround is to copy/duplicate the clip MANY TIMES which is a cumbersome.

An option to turn on/off like in Vegas to extend a clip in an unlimited way is a must have.
This will lessen our hassle in editing esp. if you use much of the clips I've mentioned above.
Thanks...

Jim Simon

Re: Looping or Extendable Clips Option

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 am

In a professional level NLE, I would vote no.

If you want a clip to repeat over a portion of the timeline, you duplicate it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jane Pescador

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 am

Well, FYI! Jim..VEGAS PRO is a professional NLE & does have that feature..

Jane Pescador

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:11 am

There is no other VALID reason for a NLE not to have this feature, aside from Jim's "professional level" conclusion.

Peter Cave

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:51 am

It's very easy to loop a clip if you use the Fusion Page media-in node controls. There is a loop option and controls for in/out points for the loop. Once set up, the Fusion clip on the timeline can be trimmed to any length.

P.S. What you are asking for is not available in Avid, Premiere, FCP, FCPX, Resolve and a bunch of other editing software. It's quite unique to Vegas. Vegas Pro is NOT considered a "pro" app in the "pro" industry, even though it is very good and has many "pro" features. In 40 years of freelance post-production I have not come across ANY jobs requiring skills on Vegas.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jane Pescador

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:57 pm

First of all the term PRO is a very broad & correction of the idea that movie/film editors are the not the only persons revolving in the editing line of work.
There are tons of events (weddings, ads, fashion etc) editors out there & they are greater in numbers compared with the editors working in the movie industry. (counting by # of people not $$ of edit HW purchased/invested)
So let us try to forget that "if it is not use within Hollywood , its not a PRO product notion".
I said this coz' I don't even encounter in my own 25 years experience, in our own circle of weddings & events industry that one is searching for an editor with the 'industry standard' editing Avid experience.
You see what I mean here. Try to see other PRO's out of your circle, no offense.

BTW, I am also using Hitfilm Pro for vfx not Afterfx & I also don't use ProTools just using Reaper, I knew they doesn't count again, doesn't get standard attention & don't belong with the movie guys. So please don't critic me with that.

justmy2cents. Thanks for the feedback about Fusion.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 6:18 pm

I was thinking about asking this feature too. For anything, video clips and single audio clip.

A right click on it > "Loop this" : The it would transform the clip (video or audio) to a looped compound clip... we could expand it indefinitely.

I have short audio loops, and I hate to have to copy and past it 10000x, make a compound clip out of it just for this.

You animate your elements once, in a compound clip, with the needed spacing after the animation, then you can stretch it indefinitely.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 9:12 pm

+1 to the idea of loop inside the compound clip (with a new speed command) and extend the tails indefinitely.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

atmosfar

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 12:58 pm

+1 on video looping

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests