Estimated file size for the timeline in Delivery page

• Author

Arun Ezilmanivannan

Estimated file size for the timeline in Delivery page

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 1:53 pm

The existing file size estimation in the Delivery page is that of disk space used in percentage, it would of a great help, if we are able to get and estimate of the file size of the timeline being exported in Megabytes or Gigabytes.
So while exporting we will be sure of the target file size to decide on the time taken to transfer the file and also if they can be sent via the messaging services like whats app which has a max limit of the file size within 64mb.
Thanks and Regards
Arun EM
editor.emarun@gmail.com

iMac 27 inch, a windows laptop with RTX2060, a windows desktop with RTX2080ti and Amd ryzen 3900x

studio1492

Re: Estimated file size for the timeline in Delivery page

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 5:46 pm

+1
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

ResolveNoob

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 12:44 am

This is so important. I even go to the extent of exporting once in Resolve and again in Premiere just so that I can control the file size. I know there's a calculation you can do but I really think it should just be built in.

georgekg

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 4:57 pm

+1
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

hauklien

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 4:49 pm

I would love this feature as I often have to render timelines to a max file size. Currently I find myself rendering multiple times before getting it right. With Compressor this feature is there and is amazing. Should not be too difficult to include... 8-)

radomir

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 9:58 pm

+1
Two circles with "space before/after" is completely useless.

georgekg

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 10:20 pm

radomir wrote:+1
They are useless for the people who use Resolve nowadays. This software is made with Hollywood studios in mind and they don't care much about space their movies occupies. For them they are perfectly ok because few gigabytes more or less are good enough estimation
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

GlueFactoryBJJ

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 8:52 am

georgekg wrote:
radomir wrote:+1
They are useless for the people who use Resolve nowadays. This software is made with Hollywood studios in mind and they don't care much about space their movies occupies. For them they are perfectly ok because few gigabytes more or less are good enough estimation

Yes, Resolve WAS only a color grading program. And it USED TO cost $10K++.

However, it is now either free or $300, depending on the features you need. It includes editing, audio, motion graphics, etc. At that price point it is no longer a "Hollywood studio..." only offering. In fact, I feel pretty confident in saying that the VAST majority of users are NOT "Hollywood studios".

In many smaller shops, like myself, space is a consideration. If not during editing, archiving, etc. certainly during uploads, when the time to upload at <100Mb/sec is a factor (the current fastest official residential upload speed for Xfinity, for example, is 40Mb/sec).

Because of this, for MANY users "size does matter"...

Scott
Hardware: ASUS Crosshair VIII, AMD 3950X, Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB m.2 SSD, 2TB (4x500GB) SSDs, 36TB NAS
Software: Win10 Pro, DR Studio 17.3, Reaper, Affinity Photo & Designer, Skylum Luminar/Aurora HDR, OBS
Adobe free since 2018!

Marc Wielage

PostSat Dec 25, 2021 2:27 am

Some workarounds: I use an iPhone App called "Video Space" to estimate how much room I'll need for a complex render. There are so many variables involved, it's actually hard to estimate how much space a compressed file will need, because so much depends on signal content (contrast, movement, etc.). I solve the problem of not running out of space by manually checking the drive first before I hit the render button.

As far as I know, I don't think FCPX, Premiere, Baselight, Lustre, Mystika, Nucoda, or Scratch will go out and tell you if you're going to run out of space, either. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's harder to do than you might think. Even when I run the numbers on the app, it's usually +/- 15% or so. We try to use big drives so there's no question it'll fit, which is mandatory for 4K features and so on.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests