Automation Friendly Interface

• Author

pr2resolve

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 5:41 pm

AutoHotKey (AHK) (https://www.autohotkey.com/) is a keyboard macro scripting utility that can be used to automate repetative tasks. i use this extensively with Lightroom to automate still photo editing. I can speed up my work flow to a fraction of the time by using AutoHotKey scripts in compared to using mouse and sliders.

For AHK or any other 3rd party scripting automation to work, the program user interface need to expose its controls so that they can be used to automate tasks.

In the case of DR, all the top menu tabs and controls need to be accessible by keyboard shortcuts.

The current Active Window Name or ID (Media, Cut, Edit, Fusion,...) need to be exposed to the operation system (OS) so that an automation script knows what is the current Active window.

Every control (Caption, Slider, Button) on a given window should have a unique ID and be exposed to the OS so that a script can use a control.

When you click on a caption (by mouse, or sending a click event using a script), that should make corresponding Slider or Data box control in Focus. Then hitting "+ or -" keys should increment or decrement corresponding slider or value in a data box.

With the above mentioned capabilities, one can automate every action in DR using a single or a sequence of key strokes. One can execute a sequence or DR tasks by the click of a single key press.

Is it possible for the DR software to expose to the OS its internal control IDs so that they can be used by 3rd party automation scripts?
Resolve Studio 18, Win 10, GeForce GTX1060 6GB, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB

dariobigi

Re: Automation Friendly Interface

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 6:48 pm

You aware you can program any menu pulldown that you wish and/or mouse click. These can be used with Stream Deck and you’re off to the races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

pr2resolve

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 7:16 pm

dariobigi wrote:You aware you can program any menu pulldown that you wish and/or mouse click. These can be used with Stream Deck and you’re off to the races.

Nop. Did a quick Google. Are you referring to Elgato Stream Deck?

Saw a video on one using what looks like and Tablet with Icon shortcuts in conjunction with the Elgato Stream Deck?

If a 3rd party hardware can control menu in DR, then so should AHK (AutoHotKey). Need to look more into this.

One of the things that is achievable by AHK is assign a key press to activate a control, then use "+ or -" to increment decrement the value of the parameter. For example if on the Color Window, I can assign "T" to make the Temperature data field Active, and then use the + or - keys to change the value without needing to use the mouse. Can this be done with the Stream Box?

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 7:47 pm

I’m not sure how things work in the Windows world, but on macOS, an application’s menu commands are all addressable using utilities like Keyboard Maestro or ControllerMate, even if an actual keyboard shortcut has not been mapped to it in the application (you can also redefine shortcut keys for apps at the OS preferences level as well).

While I agree with the spirit of your feature request from a technical standpoint, the reality is that it’s not a particularly high priority for BMD to be making it easier for 3rd party UI automation, simply because they are in the business of selling you the proprietary control surfaces to quickly access these functions.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

dariobigi

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm

pr2resolve wrote:
dariobigi wrote:You aware you can program any menu pulldown that you wish and/or mouse click. These can be used with Stream Deck and you’re off to the races.

Nop. Did a quick Google. Are you referring to Elgato Stream Deck?

Saw a video on one using what looks like and Tablet with Icon shortcuts in conjunction with the Elgato Stream Deck?

If a 3rd party hardware can control menu in DR, then so should AHK (AutoHotKey). Need to look more into this.

One of the things that is achievable by AHK is assign a key press to activate a control, then use "+ or -" to increment decrement the value of the parameter. For example if on the Color Window, I can assign "T" to make the Temperature data field Active, and then use the + or - keys to change the value without needing to use the mouse. Can this be done with the Stream Box?
Yes. Stream Deck XL is my preference. And you can have multiple pages inside SD. AHK for menu pulldown/activation. Joey D’Anna has basic scripts posted. You then use AHK’s window spy sub program to get your cursor location (dependent on your screen resolution). There’s a Mixinglight.com article on the process/workflow.
This in addition to a BMD Mini Panel is what a majority of pros are using in their setup. It’s the more affordable alternative to an advanced panel.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

pr2resolve

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 8:31 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I’m not sure how things work in the Windows world, but on macOS, an application’s menu commands are all addressable using utilities like Keyboard Maestro or ControllerMate, even if an actual keyboard shortcut has not been mapped to it in the application (you can also redefine shortcut keys for apps at the OS preferences level as well).

Yes, anything in the application menu is addressable using a keyboard shortcut utility (I think Windows AutoHotKey is the equivalent of the MAC's Keyboard Maestro). What about all the other parameters that are not in the App's menu system? I use Adobe Lightroom to edit my still photos. Lightroom provide for any adjustable parameter to be manipulated by a single keystroke. For Example, I can map a key to increase color Temperature by 5% and decrease Tint by 5%. I can map any parameter in the app to a keyboard shortcut and use +- to change that parameter value. This is a huge time saver in comparison to using a slider to change a value.

Mel Matsuoka wrote:While I agree with the spirit of your feature request from a technical standpoint, the reality is that it’s not a particularly high priority for BMD to be making it easier for 3rd party UI automation, simply because they are in the business of selling you the proprietary control surfaces to quickly access these functions.

Mel, I absolutely agree with your assessment. BMD pretty much gives away DR and rely on selling complementary hardware for revenue. I also do not think that BMD can design enough hardware to accommodate the different needs of end users.

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 9:31 pm

pr2resolve wrote:What about all the other parameters that are not in the App's menu system?.

On macOS, you can often use AppleScript GUI Scripting to address UI elements that aren’t directly exposed via keyboard shortcuts. It’s super hackey, though, and is very volatile because UI element indexes can change even within a dot-version update of Resolve. But it works, and is how I have controlled otherwise unmappable Resolve interface features since Resolve 8.0

I wish you didn’t have to resort to those levels of hacking, but I also totally understand why BMD doesn’t spend a lot of time worrying about making life easier for automation nerds like me, so I stopped wasting my time suggesting that they do so.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

pr2resolve

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 7:11 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:On macOS, you can often use AppleScript GUI Scripting to address UI elements that aren’t directly exposed via keyboard shortcuts. It’s super hackey, though, and is very volatile because UI element indexes can change even within a dot-version update of Resolve. But it works, and is how I have controlled otherwise unmappable Resolve interface features since Resolve 8.0

Yes, on Windows, AutoHotKey has a spy window that shows the UI Element index when you hover mouse pointer over it. You then can use that index in a script to take some action. Unfortunately in Windows, I can not see the UI Element index values for DR. Also, some apps load UI elements dynamically so UI element indices will change every time you start the app.

Anyone - Let me know if there is a way to get get the index values of the Davinci UI elements on a Windows OS.

Ernest Savage

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 3:54 am

Hello Dario Bigi,

How are you able to "program any menu pulldown" on Windows? I can do it on Mac with Keyboard Maestro and the accessibility framework:

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/action ... _Menu_Item

I cannot get this same function to work in AHK. I can see the menu I want to activate with the "spy" tool in AHK, I can see it with Accessibility Inspector, but Resolve won't seem to grant access to AHK.

Here are all of my attempts:

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewt ... ve#p375616

I asked Joey, he said, "Hey! I haven’t found a way unfortunately. AHK can do it, but windows resolve doesn’t seem to use the standard windows menu API, while on the Mac it does."

I'm hoping you have a solution. I'm trying to use this for layout presets, which is four menus deep. After about two menus, screen position and mouse click programming becomes inconsistent. The timing of of the app will sometimes change, etc.

Do you have an example or a script? Or am I thinking of this wrong, is there another approach? Maybe a temporary file like Joey's tutorial along with a preset import?
Windows 10, Latest DR, GB TRX40, AMD 3970X, 2xRTX Titan, 128 Gb RAM, PCIe 4.0 SSD (boot), PCIe 4.0 SSD Raid 0 (cache) 14Gb/s, BM 4K, Raid 5 3.3Gb/s (storage). Mac 2019, OWC raid 0 (cache) 6GB/s, AMD MPX Pro Vega II, 256 GB RAM, 1Gb/s storage.

dariobigi

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 pm

Mixinglight has a tutorial on using stream deck and scripts. You use autohotkey’s window spy to get cursor locations and program it to click, open menus, move and click to the options you want - in milliseconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tyzh7a1gz5q7 ... hL1xa?dl=0

Here are some collected scripts. You will have to change locations and delays that work with your system.

You will have to have a preferred workplace setup saved first so the locations of gui buttons remain/refer to a consistent location

Dario Bigi, Colorist CSI
New York

Windows 10 Pro 2004
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 460.89)
Resolve Studio 16.2.7
Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Ernest Savage

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 10:22 pm

Hi dariobigi,

I appreciate the dropbox link! Those scripts will help me program.

But I'm looking for a way to directly access Resolve menus in Windows 10, the way you can on Mac, without position and click, which is less stable.

Mixinglight doesn't have it, and Joey doesn't think it's possible. I'm afraid he may be right.

But it doesn't make sense, unless there is something about Windows 10 that prevents accessibility framework access in DaVinci Resolve? Other Windows 10 apps let you access menus, and Resolve is written in qt.io which is cross-platform. I don't think BM went in a specifically disabled accessibility framework for Windows 10.

Sorry, just wanted to ask a different way to be clear. I can already program position and click.

Thanks again!
Windows 10, Latest DR, GB TRX40, AMD 3970X, 2xRTX Titan, 128 Gb RAM, PCIe 4.0 SSD (boot), PCIe 4.0 SSD Raid 0 (cache) 14Gb/s, BM 4K, Raid 5 3.3Gb/s (storage). Mac 2019, OWC raid 0 (cache) 6GB/s, AMD MPX Pro Vega II, 256 GB RAM, 1Gb/s storage.

pr2resolve

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 2:05 am

Ernest Savage wrote:Hi dariobigi,

I appreciate the dropbox link! Those scripts will help me program.

But I'm looking for a way to directly access Resolve menus in Windows 10, the way you can on Mac, without position and click, which is less stable.

Mixinglight doesn't have it, and Joey doesn't think it's possible. I'm afraid he may be right.

But it doesn't make sense, unless there is something about Windows 10 that prevents accessibility framework access in DaVinci Resolve? Other Windows 10 apps let you access menus, and Resolve is written in qt.io which is cross-platform. I don't think BM went in a specifically disabled accessibility framework for Windows 10.

Sorry, just wanted to ask a different way to be clear. I can already program position and click.

Thanks again!

Not being able to access menu items directly using AHK is not a Windows 10 issue but rather DR implementation of the menu system. I thought that this was intentionally done by the DR developers to sell proprietary control panels. Developers did not assign ALT+{char} short keys to top menu items. I am surprised to know that is not the case on a Mac.

As far as AHK "Position Click" implementations, there is a better way (I think). All you need is to move the curser to top left position and select top left "DaVinci Resolve" menu item. From there on, you should be able to navigate the menu system using a sequence of "right" and "down" arrow keys.

francesco tomba

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 5:26 pm

Anyone - Let me know if there is a way to get get the index values of the Davinci UI elements on a Windows OS

Hi

I've just been bashing my head against a rock for a day, but I think I have an answer to to the menu on Windows with AHK problem.

here's an example

Code: Select all
#include C:\Users\tomba\OneDrive\Desktop\AutoHotKey\lib\Acc.ahk

davinci := "DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic Design - 17.1.0"

Numpad0::
   winactivate % davinci
   WinGet, hWnd, ID, A
   oAcc := Acc_Get("Object", "4.1.11", 0, "ahk_id " hWnd)
   msgBox, % oAcc.accName(0)          ; name of menu
   oAcc.accDoDefaultAction(0)
   oAcc := ""
return

note you need to have the Acc Library file for this to work.
also the AccViewer will give you an almost correct version of the right path.
this won't let me paste urls but a quick google search will find you those no prob

for an actually correct version of an object's path you can use AccExplorer and endlessly count the path folders... Orrrr you just add "4." in front of whatever AccViewer tells you.
ie AccViewer path = "1.2" => Actual path "4.1.2"
Seems to work for me so far.

The answer to the much bigger question: is this possible?? vvv

One of the things that is achievable by AHK is assign a key press to activate a control, then use "+ or -" to increment decrement the value of the parameter. For example if on the Color Window, I can assign "T" to make the Temperature data field Active, and then use the + or - keys to change the value without needing to use the mouse.

I don't know. If anyone finds the solution I'd be very grateful
[ Gigabyte Aero 15, Intel i7-10870H, RTX3060 mobile, 16 GB Ram ]
[ Win 11 home | Resolve Studio | Speed Editor via BT | Tangent Ripple ]

Mylonas Films

PostSun Jul 04, 2021 11:38 pm

dariobigi wrote:You use autohotkey’s window spy to get cursor locations and program it to click, open menus, move and click to the options you want - in milliseconds.

This method only works for an exact window size. if you switch to full screen or vice versa, it won't work.
This is why the original post wants the menu ID's , as do I :-)
As for know, I use the cursor postion yes to do my shortcuts, but my screen has to be FULL screen or one or the other
-----------------------------------------
stephen.mylo@gmail.com
DOP/Colorist
DaVinci Resolve V18
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041)
GeForce RTX 2070Super Gaming OC 8GB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10920X CPU @ 3.50GHz (24 CPUs)
Memory: 132GB RAM

Mylonas Films

PostSun Jul 04, 2021 11:42 pm

francesco tomba wrote:note you need to have the Acc Library file for this to work.
also the AccViewer will give you an almost correct version of the right path.

Great, keen to try this is Autohotkey, but what is the Acc Libray and AccViewer? and where do I get it?
stephen.mylo@gmail.com
DOP/Colorist
DaVinci Resolve V18

ctrevatt

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 12:49 am

francesco tomba wrote:note you need to have the Acc Library file for this to work.

ACC looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mylonas Films wrote:This method only works for an exact window size. if you switch to full screen or vice versa, it won't work.

I've had a lot of luck (between DR updates to UI) using ImageSearch to automate clicking UI elements for menus, inspector panel, etc. It's a very hacky way to do it, but it's been working well for a couple of years on 6 or so computers. Some of them even have different screen sizes and resolutions. I've only needed to redo the ImageSearch pics once each major release so far. I'm happy to share those scripts if anyone's interested? They're pretty unique to my workflow but may be of use :)

Take a look at CoordMode. You should be able to set Pixel and Mouse to Client and be able to get your mouse-clicks working with different sized windows:

Code: Select all
CoordMode, ToolTip|Pixel|Mouse|Caret|Menu [, Screen|Window|Client]
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9, Win10Home ver. 2004
i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB, "Studio" driver 457.51
OS - SSD 500GB, Media Server - QNAP 24 Bay NAS RAID 6 144TB
Database - QNAP 4 Bay SSD NAS RAID 1 100GB
Networking - 10Gb

Mylonas Films

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 1:18 am

ctrevatt wrote:I've had a lot of luck (between DR updates to UI) using ImageSearch to automate clicking UI elements for menus

Ah yes, I use pixel search too, works great, although I've only just started.
I would love to have a look at your codes or some of :-)
stephen.mylo@gmail.com
stephen.mylo@gmail.com
DOP/Colorist
DaVinci Resolve V18

ctrevatt

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 4:37 am

Hey mate! Sorry for the 6 month radio silence...
Been a bit hectic getting all the work out before the holidays and only had a chance now to get to forums really.

Here's a bunch of stuff I've done. Some of it I'm refining into Python-only packages, some of it is obsolete code I don't use and a LOT of it is full of environment specific configuration (naughty me!) but I've written this over years when I ported it from Premiere haha.

I can't share everything because some is company intellectual property, but hopefully this gives you a place to start if you haven't already done everything you need since 6 months ago :lol:

There's a few nifty scripts I'm happy with:
- ctrl+shift+r to open speed toolbar and retime curve on current clip
- then ctrl+shift+c to create a new speed point on the current clip
- ctrl+shift+space to bring up the speed menu for the speed segment the mouse is closest to
- change position x and y by holding left and right brackets on the keyboard and moving mouse
- keyframe.ahk allows changing controlling inspector panel keyframes through UI (though I believe recent versions are starting to expose this in Resolve's Python API)
- automatic timeline revisioning
- automatic project exports

You'll need to take the relevant screenshots for AHK imagesearch to use some of these functions.
https://gist.github.com/in03/0a6399311dbeea32c89dce49454b42be
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9, Win10Home ver. 2004
i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB, "Studio" driver 457.51
OS - SSD 500GB, Media Server - QNAP 24 Bay NAS RAID 6 144TB
Database - QNAP 4 Bay SSD NAS RAID 1 100GB
Networking - 10Gb

arbibarbarona

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 11:52 am

We have somehow cracked some with Davinci Color. This is for Loupedeck this time but Streamdeck is on the list to port next.

here at http://www.sideshowfx.net lab

Abdurahman Tumgaev

PostTue Jul 26, 2022 7:53 pm

Rather than this, I just think Resolve needs more shorcuts.
Take Reaper (DAW; Which is a sound editing program), you can have shorcuts for almost anything.
f.e. in Reaper, you can hover over a button, press right click, then there is a context menu item, which says something like assign shortcut. Once you do that, that button will be pressed whenever the given shortcut is pressed. This is crazy cool, DaVinci Resolve would benefit from this a lot.

Mylonas Films

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 11:21 am

ctrevatt wrote:Hey mate! Sorry for the 6 month radio silence...
https://gist.github.com/in03/0a6399311dbeea32c89dce49454b42be
i have private Messaged you on this forum.

stephen.mylo@gmail.com
DOP/Colorist
DaVinci Resolve V18

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests