Option for 'Show last used menu when switching nodes'

• Author

Jamie Dickinson

Option for 'Show last used menu when switching nodes'

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 12:00 pm

I've asked for this before... I think it would be really useful to have this option so that I could go from a node which was used for the HDR tool (for example, or curves or whatever) and when I switch to a node I used for Primary Wheels (for example), the menu would change to the last menu used in that particular node.

I know that many people work like this, in that they dedicate particular nodes for a single particular job, and this would be a massive time saver to not have to keep manually switching between menus when you switch between these nodes.

Jim Simon

Re: Option for 'Show last used menu when switching nodes'

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 3:23 pm

What if you did more than one thing in the same node?

I'm thinking I'd like to remain in manual control of which panels are highlighted.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jamie Dickinson

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 4:29 pm

'Last used menu' for each node. As an option, probably top right of the node graph with the other options, that would be perfect.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 4:21 pm

Jim Simon wrote:What if you did more than one thing in the same node?

I'm thinking I'd like to remain in manual control of which panels are highlighted.

Same. Don't switch panels arbitrarily please.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Harris Charalambous

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm

+1

Jamie Dickinson

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 pm

I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I'd still really like this on my wishlist. I think it would save me a lot time because I mostly use one node for one purpose. Maybe I'm in a minority, maybe it didn't explain my suggestion well...

My suggestion is an item in the nodes options menu to have the menu panels change to the last used menu as you switch nodes. So I have a node for HDR tool and a node for primary and when I switch nodes it saved me the trouble to switch menus. If I happen to also go to the Primaries menu in my HDR tool node, then that would be the 'last used menu' for that node instead. I thought someone else might like this as an idea? Perhaps not!

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 10:11 am

Jamie Dickinson wrote:My suggestion is an item in the nodes options menu to have the menu panels change to the last used menu as you switch nodes. So I have a node for HDR tool and a node for primary and when I switch nodes it saved me the trouble to switch menus. If I happen to also go to the Primaries menu in my HDR tool node, then that would be the 'last used menu' for that node instead. I thought someone else might like this as an idea? Perhaps not!

I think this does make sense, but (strictly my opinion) I think BMD has to balance users who only have one function in each node, vs. users who are doing multiple things in each node. If there was an "auto panel switch" thing happening when you changed nodes, it'd have to make a choice what panel you meant, if (say) a key and a window and a lift/gamma/gain function was contained in a node. Which panel should it show?

But I'd agree, if I had a node for HDR adjustments and a node for Primaries and a node for Log and a node for Printer Lights (which I do quite often), it'd be nice if the GUI would switch to just those panels so I wouldn't have to do it manually.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jamie Dickinson

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 10:57 am

Exactly, just switch to the last used menu on that node. Kind of like the option for last used node /same node when switching clips. It's probably an option I'd use a lot but would still want to turn it off from time to time.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm

Jamie Dickinson wrote:just switch to the last used menu on that node.
And if you did want to add another adjustment to that node, then you'd have to switch back to the Panel you just manually chose.

I still vote no. I don't like the software doing this automatically.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jamie Dickinson

PostSat Dec 31, 2022 11:30 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Jamie Dickinson wrote:My suggestion is an item in the nodes options menu to have the menu panels change to the last used menu as you switch nodes. So I have a node for HDR tool and a node for primary and when I switch nodes it saved me the trouble to switch menus. If I happen to also go to the Primaries menu in my HDR tool node, then that would be the 'last used menu' for that node instead. I thought someone else might like this as an idea? Perhaps not!

I think this does make sense, but (strictly my opinion) I think BMD has to balance users who only have one function in each node, vs. users who are doing multiple things in each node. If there was an "auto panel switch" thing happening when you changed nodes, it'd have to make a choice what panel you meant, if (say) a key and a window and a lift/gamma/gain function was contained in a node. Which panel should it show?

But I'd agree, if I had a node for HDR adjustments and a node for Primaries and a node for Log and a node for Printer Lights (which I do quite often), it'd be nice if the GUI would switch to just those panels so I wouldn't have to do it manually.

Bumping this request again... I'd really like this as an optional preference, I think users who generally have one function per node could save hundreds of clicks a day with this!

cayubal

PostSat Dec 31, 2022 2:07 pm

+1

Thomas Maier

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 11:54 pm

+1 but only as an option per node.

I can achieve similar things using streamdeck and keyboard maestro, but it’s limited.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests