Some way of coloring the root Multicam angle without opening

• Author

Firehouse Creative

Some way of coloring the root Multicam angle without opening

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 9:39 pm

Super tedious and wasteful operation: if I'm grading a TL with clips and Multicam clips mixed, and want to grade Angle 2 of that Multicam, I have to got Edit, then open in timeline, then back to color, adjust, then back to edit, and back out one tier to the main timeline. WOOOOF.

In Color page: Right click on the clip in the clips timeline, "Angle-level grade" > [angles names], you then get a clip icon/border to let you know you're "zoomed in", node tree updates to THAT clip's node and adds a button to the node area like "exit angle grade" or something. Click it, border/icon goes away, now it's the color page seeing the top-level Multicam again.
---
Wes Langdon
Instagram: @supervibrant

Resolve Studio (current) | Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20-core) | macOS Sonoma | Resolve Mini Panel | Resolve Editor Keyboard | Ultrastudio 4K Mini > LG EP950 & LG CX | Synology DS1821+ over 10Gbe

Jim Simon

Re: SOME way of coloring the root Multicam angle without ope

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 10:36 pm

I'm not sure it'd be that simple, given the way Multicam works.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Firehouse Creative

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 9:53 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm not sure it'd be that simple, given the way Multicam works.

Care to elaborate?
---
Wes Langdon

Resolve Studio (current) | Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20-core) | macOS Sonoma | Resolve Mini Panel | Resolve Editor Keyboard | Ultrastudio 4K Mini > LG EP950 & LG CX | Synology DS1821+ over 10Gbe

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 6:44 pm

Multicam is kind of like a picture frame, with the original clips being the picture inside that frame.

This design allows us to adjust either the picture, or the frame, independently. I like that arrangement, and that's what causes the current necessity of Open in Timeline.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Firehouse Creative

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 11:30 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Multicam is kind of like a picture frame, with the original clips being the picture inside that frame.

These design allows us to adjust either the picture, or the frame, independently. I like that arrangement, and that's what causes the current necessity of Open in Timeline.

I guess I'm not seeing why that concept, and this idea, are in conflict. I get the picture frame thing and multicam, and that it's nested... this doesn't violate that. I just means that IN the color page, you should be able to drill down a layer into the multicam clip without needing to leave the color tab. You're talking more about the overarching concept of nested grading, which this suggestion still works in.
---
Wes Langdon

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 6:37 pm

So to put it in my own words, you're just looking for an Open in Timeline option on the Color page, as well as the Edit page?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Firehouse Creative

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Jim Simon wrote:So to put it in my own words, you're just looking for an Open in Timeline option on the Color page, as well as the Edit page?

In concept, yes. A way to drill into a nested angle's clip grade while still looking at the timeline-level multicam clip edits. Open angle grade > flips in node tree, you can dropdown between angles in the corner. When you're done, it switches back to the default, of just seeing that multicam clip's nodes again. (Clips in the color timeline should probably update while "flipped" as well, to accommodate multiple consecutive clips within one angle.)
---
Wes Langdon

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests