Speed Editor Ripple delete button function

• Author

Filmarik

Speed Editor Ripple delete button function

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm

Fix the issue with Ripple delete button not working correctly( only deletes, not ripple deletes) when an Audio track is placed under the Video track on the Timeline.

SkierEvans

Re: Speed Editor Ripple delete button function

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 2:41 am

Isn't that what you would want if clips further down the line had been synced with the audio ? If the cut is the same on both tracks it will work with two pressing of the ripple delete as I would expect.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Filmarik

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 3:09 am

Not really. I am not talking about audio track synced with video. I am talking about music as an independent audio track placed under video track where I am assembling individual clips from the source bin by pressing append button. Then whe I have the rough cut on the timeline I might want to remove a clip or two by pressing Ripple Delete button. The clip under the play head gets deleted but empty space is left on the timeline. Then I have to select manually the empty space and press the Ripple Delete again to effect the ripple delete and remove the empty space. I do not think it should work like this. In Edit page it actually does what it suppose to do, it ripple deletes the clip under the play head
Last edited by Filmarik on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

kinvermark

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 3:13 am

If you just have clip audio it works as expected (ie ripples) but if you put another audio track (ie music) underneath then it does not ripple - I think this is a bug/change in beta 6 as I don't recall this happening in earlier betas. Also it is not how it works in the edit page, where you actually have more control over ripple/no ripple by doing the speed editor delete when in either "A" or "T" modes.

Should be easy enough for them to fix.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

SkierEvans

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 4:11 am

I like the way it works so hope that there is a selection in some way to not ripple if there is something on any other track.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

gordonandersson

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 7:50 pm

I know this is kinda a dead thread but I also have this "problem". It is impossible to use the Speed Editor to do rough cuts to music. Which kinda makes it unusable for me. This should really be addressed in some way. Like if you lock the track it doesn't "see" it and therefore ripples video and other audio tracks as usual.

trampintransit

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 1:09 pm

I've just encountered this too...infuriating!!!!

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 pm

This is how the timeline in the Cut page is designed to function. Watch this video from 13:35 which explains this function.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

kinvermark

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:02 am

This is how the timeline in the Cut page is designed to function

I don't think so. I think what we are talking about is subtly (but importantly) different. Here's why:

If you set up a timeline with clips and an audio track underneath (e.g. music) you WILL be able to ripple the clips on v1 using the speed editor trim and roll keys (in fact you can trim away the entire clip this way), you will also be able to ripple v1 by mouse clicking on a clip and deleting it. But you CANNOT ripple delete with the RIPL DEL key on the speed editor. So, IMO this is a bug; at minimum it certainly is incongruous and awkward.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 8:00 am

No problem with or without an added music track. Both the Roll and Ripple Delete keys are working fine with the Speed Editor here. As stated in the video, in the Cut page Ripple Delete will only affect the video clip and it's embedded audio, ie. V1 and A1.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

kinvermark

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks for posting Charles. Sounds like we are on the same page as far as expected behaviour, just not seeing same results. I will re-test with a new simplified project and see if it makes a difference.

kinvermark

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 3:43 pm

OK, re-tested. Still does not work.

Simple project with few mp4 clips on v1 ; wav audio file on a2.
RIPL DEL on speed editor will ripple v1 clips where no a2 audio present, but not (i.e. creates grey gaps) where a2 audio is present.

FYI
Speed editor firmware Version 1.3, Build b1fa660f, DR version 17.2.1.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (445.03 KiB) Viewed 2490 times

Filmarik

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:23 pm

Confirming the same. As soon as there is audio track under video track the Ripple Delete button does not ripple delete clips in that video track. To me it is a bug, pure and simple. No ifs or buts about it.

badpixelinc

PostFri Aug 27, 2021 10:25 pm

Same behavior here. I actually started a different thread as I didn't see this one previously. This is beyond frustrating. If an audio (music) track is added and locked down, it would only make sense that the audio track is ignored. I've tried using "video only", tried disabling and enabling auto track selector in the edit page and returning to cut, etc etc.

My problem extends beyond this. In some cases, when I so much as nudge an audio track on a1 - even without adding a music track, everything breaks down completely. Ripple delete turns into the destroyer of timelines and either deletes the entire sequence on the timeline or a random string of clips - in my case, it would seem the auto select feature within the cut page breaks when any audio clip is disturbed on a1. This could be triggered by unlinking, nudging, deleting audio for a specific clip etc. The only fix I've found is to copy they sequence and paste it into a new timeline where functionality is restored (in cases where there is no supplemental audio tracks). The fact that functionality returns on a fresh line screams bug. Very inconsistent and unpredictable behavior.

It's incredibly disappointing. This basically renders the speed editor useless IMO. Like many features in DR, the functionality and workflow is absolutely beautiful when working properly, but performance and stability inconsistencies and random UI bugs are forcing me to move away from the platform after years of sticking it out and after purchasing several seats of studio. It's getting increasingly difficult to justify the frequent interruptions and hunting every time something randomly breaks on paying gigs.

kinvermark

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 12:58 am

badpixelinc wrote:This basically renders the speed editor useless IMO

BM are aware of the problem and working on it (there are other threads with cut page audio track issues.)

Speed Editor is far from useless! Just use it in the Edit page with whatever additional functions you need mapped to keyboard (not SE) function keys (or whatever keys you prefer). IMO it is a myth that SE is only for Cut page - maybe that was the original intent, but not true now.

badpixelinc

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 1:59 am

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely adore it when it's working as expected - as is the case with the rest of the offerings (including Fusion studio). Its the moments of flow that keep me from bailing entirely despite all the idiosyncrasies, and instability.

SE does seem more functional over time with the edit page. I suppose my workflow with it has calcified a bit. I use the move function a lot. Took a while for me to commit to the cut page but it FLIES with SE when working right.

Really wish the snapiness and dynamic functionality of the tools in cut were transferred to the edit page - even if only when using the SE. That would be a dream.

C.T. Bell

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 3:06 pm

+1
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

SpaceMax

PostTue Dec 28, 2021 10:38 am

Wtf, is this ********? It started doing the same here. As soon as there is Audio underneath it won't do what it's supposed to do. Man...these BM guys sure know how to turn me off with some idiocy every time I try to get something done.

studio1492

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 12:12 am

One question. How to ripple cut with Speed Editor on Fairlight?
I find Speed editor convenient for some workflows on FL, but when using the Ripple Delete key, it moves back all the clips foward the selected clip, destroying the timeline.

How to trigger Ripple Cut on Speed Editor?
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests