Support of the WebM container / Opus audio format

• Author

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

Support of the WebM container / Opus audio format

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 5:10 pm

https://www.webmproject.org/docs/container/

I was happily surprised when I dragged and dropped a 4k "VP9" file downloaded from YouTube on DVR 17.
It just worked, and it's great because very, very often, we have to reference things from older videos, and many use Youtube as their "backup" service - "Sorry we don't have the original file, just grab it from YouTube" :?

Long story short, there was (until now) no other choice than downloading the videos from YouTube (or whatever website they posted on), transcode the VP9 ones (I think YouTube use this codec for videos larger than 2k). Yes, you can choose to download a mp4 (avc) 1080p version, but it's a lower-quality video.

Now we can just clip what we need without wasting time (and disk space). Of course using YouTube compressed videos is not ideal, but you do what you have to do.

Anyway, YouTube (and other platforms) uses WebM too as a container for their smaller resolution (I think), 1080p and less.

It would be great to support this container, and the Opus format for the audio.

PS.
If you read this "Mr Design" :D add the MKV container to that too ahah
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Jim Simon

Re: Support of the WebM container / Opus audio format

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 5:16 pm

My preference would be for BMD to focus on professional camera formats, not consumer level web formats.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Videoneth

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 7:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:My preference would be for BMD to focus on professional camera formats, not consumer level web formats.

Both would be perfect. More flexibility would be nice :)

The next part of my argumentation in this response it's mostly aimed at Blackmagic Magic if they read this post.

If there is a particular "professional" camera formats that Resolve needs to be able to read, people should ask for it.

If you think about it, you have to admit something, there is no such of things of a "professional" camera format. There are "professionals" (people, companies, etc.) who are making a living of developing codecs, editing videos, etc., that decided to agree on particular workflows with particular formats in certain contexts.

In this kind of context, everything can be a "professional" format. For me it's a very subjective concept.

Besides that, what Resolve can read shouldn't matter. Resolve SHOULD be able to read everything video/audio wise imo. What's really important is what people can produce with the software.

The source shouldn't matter. There are so many situations were "pros" certainly would love to just drop the files they have without having to convert them (taking more space, more time). We shouldn't stop at these words, "youtube", "web", etc. almost everything is online now and we should be able to work with these formats.

Supporting more formats at the "ingestion" stage doesn't take anything away from "pros" :)

The FLAC format is read properly by Resolve, but not Vorbis. Another example that doesn't makes sense for me (from an outsider perspective). At one point many, many years ago (I don't know now), FLAC and Vorbis (.flac - .ogg) were "paired" naturally by people who liked good quality audio files. FLAC, lossless compression, way smaller than a WAVE file ripped from CDs, and Ogg Vorbis, its "natural" compressed counter part, WAY better than MP3.

And now with DVR 17, I can play video encoded in VP9 (it did weird things with 16)... so not supporting other "web" format (meaning mostly used by "web services") doesn't make sense. Like Opus, the new "Vorbis", or the container WebM.

"Opus replaces both Vorbis and Speex for new applications, and several blind listening tests have ranked it higher quality than any other standard audio format at any given bitrate until transparency is reached, including MP3, AAC, and HE-AAC"

For WebM :
"WebM is an audiovisual media file format.[4] It is primarily intended to offer a royalty-free alternative to use in the HTML5 video and the HTML5 audio elements. It has a sister project WebP for images. The development of the format is sponsored by Google, and the corresponding software is distributed under a BSD license.
The WebM container is based on a profile of Matroska.[3][5][6] WebM initially supported VP8 video and Vorbis audio streams. In 2013, it was updated to accommodate VP9 video and Opus audio.[7]"

They talk about Matroska (MKV) too. WebM is natively supported by most browsers, and optimized for that. Most content is consumed online now. "Pros" are consumers too ;)

All of this to say, I can understand Blackmagic wanting to be more restrictive with the formats proposed at the delivery stage, but at the ingestion stage, it makes no sense to not include the ones that are used by millions.

So BMD please, add more supported codecs/containers, like WebM/MKV/Vorbis/Opus.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Lordmau5

PostSun Jan 31, 2021 6:45 pm

I'm with both of you on this one.

Yes, Resolve should focus on more professional things like more camera formats and the like.

But that doesn't mean that they should leave stuff like this out of the window, especially seeing as WebM is an open standard.

I've managed to leave Premiere Pro behind at this point and, besides a few issues with Resolve here and there, am incredibly happy that I made the move.

However... There's still a couple things missing in it in my opinion and WEBM support is on that list for sure.

As for the professional camera format support, I'd still suggest making a new thread entirely about that and not posting about it in this particular thread that is aimed at WebM and Opus support.

RitterRunkel

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 9:19 pm

Consumer vs. professional. Well ... isn't it rather unprofessional not to support basic open formats. To present a video to a non-video-nerdy customer it seems preferable to use Webm (VP9+Opus). Currently it is the one format that is supported and playable directly e.g. via browser, while not relying on outdated codecs like H.264. At least until AV1 is usable.

Videoneth

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 6:55 pm

RitterRunkel wrote:Consumer vs. professional. Well ... isn't it rather unprofessional not to support basic open formats. To present a video to a non-video-nerdy customer it seems preferable to use Webm (VP9+Opus). Currently it is the one format that is supported and playable directly e.g. via browser, while not relying on outdated codecs like H.264. At least until AV1 is usable.

Great points
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Videoneth

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 10:56 am

Woooooooooo
After MKV, VP9... now Opus! Thanks BM! This is GREAT!
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Videoneth

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 9:12 am

WebM is the last piece (for me at least) to stop transcoding file and do everything in Resolve directly.
I hope it gets in the next update.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

cubicinfinity

PostSat Feb 12, 2022 10:33 pm

Seconding this, I would like WebP as an export feature, including vp8, even though vp8 is inferior. Sometimes you want to get a direct rendering to web optimization and intermediate processes might lessen the video quality in some cases on top of the obvious extra time cost.

BartReynaard

PostFri Mar 04, 2022 10:33 am

Maxwellx wrote:WebM is the last piece (for me at least) to stop transcoding file and do everything in Resolve directly.
I hope it gets in the next update.

i do agree on all what you told and you get a +1 also from me, for the integration of WebM container
I need also to create stingers with transparencies to use for video streaming purposes.

about: "pros and no-pro formats" I read afterwards (not from you). What silly concept ever! For who believes in these kind of silly things, the "streaming" purpose aforementioned, are for Corporate Trainings Programs, not for "gamers). Is it "pro" enough??
Come-on, grow up!

BMD I do hope that Webm will be implemented soon, since on 17.4.4 I didn't see it. Not even from 17.4.5
Bart
________
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Prod. Machine: Ryzen 7 64GB 3.54 GHz
Video: MSI GeForce 4060Ti 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x1440 widescreen, 2 x 1920 x 1080 16:9
Audio: Behringer UMC1820
Blackmagic Speed Editor

Videoneth

PostFri Apr 15, 2022 2:39 pm

About WebM and VP9 :

If it was fully supported for the import and export, that would be fantastic
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

BartReynaard

PostSun Apr 24, 2022 10:38 am

Maxwellx wrote:About WebM and VP9 :

If it was fully supported for the import and export, that would be fantastic

Do you know if the 18 supports it?
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Videoneth

PostMon Apr 25, 2022 5:58 pm

Unfortunately no
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Ulrich W

PostSat Mar 11, 2023 10:25 pm

I'm jumping on late on this train, but:
Despite of discussions whether it makes sense to convert one lossy audio format to another, I'd be happy if Resolve would support Ogg/Vorbis (among others). Probably it's not an argument that EDIUS does.

Videoneth

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 3:48 pm

Please BMD.... support the Opus audio format for the 18.5 final!!! pleaaaaaaaaaaase
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

BartReynaard

PostTue Apr 25, 2023 7:48 am

Videoneth wrote:Please BMD.... support the Opus audio format for the 18.5 final!!! pleaaaaaaaaaaase

yes WebM and Opus

and increase stability. I got crashes just to switch from one timeline to a next one. It starts to remind me Adobe Première.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests