Let us move panels around please

• Author

Pete Berthet

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 11:21 pm

It's probably been mentioned before.

But i'm moving the entire studio over to resolve studio from premiere, and the single biggest gripe all of us have is the inability to move windows around in the program.

It's pretty frustrating to have to work the way resolve tells us to instead of just putting stuff where we want it.

Jim Simon

Re: Let us move panels around please

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 5:30 pm

I used to want this after switching from Adobe.

I no longer do. I would vote no.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

georgekg

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I used to want this after switching from Adobe.

I completely agree with you.

I worked in Premiere for more than 15 years. About 6 years ago I swithed to Resolve and it was very frustrating to me too. I used to it to arrange windows to my own needs, but in time I realized, with Resolve it was completely unnecessary, because, everything is just where it needs to be.
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

Pete Berthet

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 11:58 pm

georgekg wrote:

I worked in Premiere for more than 15 years. About 6 years ago I swithed to Resolve and it was very frustrating to me too. I used to it to arrange windows to my own needs, but in time I realized, with Resolve it was completely unnecessary, because, everything is just where it needs to be.

Ok so i've got 2 screens up grading, one is everything including my viewer and on my second screen are scopes and ... nothing.

I'd like to move my viewer to the second window with my scopes so it's a) larger and b) immediately next to my scopes so I can see all my changes on the one screen.

If you're telling me that's a perfect scenario, i'm gonna tell you that you're wrong.

Giving users freedom to setup the way they want isn't something that should get pushback.

georgekg

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 8:14 pm

Scopes are a floating resizable window, so you can move it anywhere.
Before you decide who is right and who is wrong, consult user manual or ask someone more experienced. Or maybe spend a few years in practice...

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Pete Berthet

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 12:21 am

Mate you don't know my experience, so don't presume to judge.

I'm requesting a fairly simple feature that gives the user the freedom to setup panels how they want.

Yes, you can move the scopes! Great!

I want to move the viewer, maybe I want to move my entire timeline to a second screen alongside the inspector because I'm working on a massive sequence and need the vertical height to see all my tracks more easily.

My studio is switching to resolve from Premiere to resolve after posting an 8x1 hour tv series. This has exposed certain flaws in Premiere that does not indicate it's a viable choice going forward.

Resolve has proven more than capable of handling the next 12 episodes that are in the pipe, but this one feature would give our editors and myself more flexibility to work how they want.

VioletWolf

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 6:19 am

Resolve has been getting a little more flexible in UI department lately. My gut feeling is that they're slowly moving in that direction getting the 'behind the scenes' ducks lined up in preparation. Of course I could be wrong lol. (it's been requested a lot).

For the folks who like the stock interface they don't have to move anything.. In fact these days I'm inclined to usually leave things stock myself. (After using a custom interface or skin in my studio) I've embarrassed myself more than once grabbing the mouse in someone else's studio and not knowing where anything is hahahah.

And I definitely see the need when dealing with multiple screens
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Charles Bennett

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 2:05 pm

In dual screen mode you do have the option for a full screen timeline.
Attachments
Full Screen Timeline B.jpg
Full Screen Timeline B.jpg (761.67 KiB) Viewed 15681 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b3 build 33
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

georgekg

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 9:54 pm

Pete Berthet wrote:Mate you don't know my experience, so don't presume to judge.

I'm not your mate. I don't know your experience like you don't mine. I'm not presuming anything nor judging. I'd like to know how you conclude something like that from my answer.

Pete Berthet wrote:I'm requesting a fairly simple feature that gives the user the freedom to setup panels how they want.

It is nice to know that you are a programmer too. Because you know that making movable windows inside such tremendously complex program is a "fairy simple"

Pete Berthet wrote:Yes, you can move the scopes! Great!

Everyday we learn something new. Yesterday you learned that scopes are movable as you asked in your first post. Great! :D

Pete Berthet wrote:I want to move the viewer, maybe I want to move my entire timeline to a second screen alongside the inspector because I'm working on a massive sequence and need the vertical height to see all my tracks more easily.

As I said - everyday we learn something new. Today you learned from Charles Bennett that you can get the entire screen just for your timeline alongside the inspector, so you can see all your tracks more easily. Once again, great for you! :D

As you can see, consulting experienced users isn't such a bad thing. Some people may think that asking someone for help is an attack to their ego, knowledge etc. but it isn't

Pete Berthet wrote:My studio is switching to resolve from Premiere to resolve after posting an 8x1 hour tv series. This has exposed certain flaws in Premiere that does not indicate it's a viable choice going forward.

Resolve has proven more than capable of handling the next 12 episodes that are in the pipe, but this one feature would give our editors and myself more flexibility to work how they want.

Only thing that can be concluded from your post is that you want Premiere inside Resolve. Fairly simple request... I'm pretty sure, if we ask, Adobe can't wait to make Premiere more Resolve alike. Most of us came from Premiere or FCP and we all have some habits that we bring from previous software, but we must adapt to the software we use now.
For the BMD team I have no words. They are so great. In the past few years, they fulfilled so many requests from this forum, that Adobe didn't from their forum, for the entire life of Premiere.

Yes it will be great to take all the best from competitors, but it takes time.

If you read the forum you could see this was already asked for so many times. But it seems that you don't have the time to read (or learn), so you just created a new topic, despite the topics with the same requests already existing. That tells us (and the BMD team too) something about you...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=104330&p=577301&hilit=undock#p577301
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=109466&p=604353&hilit=undock#p604353
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=106045&p=586104&hilit=movable+windows#p586104

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Pete Berthet

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 pm

george:
So... if you knew how to do it why didn't you suggest it in the first place instead of pushback and try to cut down my suggestion?

You're right, I didn't search the forums for the same topic because frankly, I simply don't have the time. I'm busy running a studio.

Although it seems even if I did search I just would've had the same response as I did to my post, Jim saying it's a bad idea.

You don't need to act as the gatekeeper of the BMD forums, my suggestion is just that, a suggestion by a paying customer. It makes it no less or more valuable than any suggestion you might make.

Here's some constructive feedback for you - as a new user and member of the forums it would be great if people behaved as charles did, and provide information instead of acting superior. Wouldn't it just make the place nicer?

Thanks Charles for the post! I'll look into that further! :)

georgekg

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 11:45 pm

I didn't push you back and I didn't try to cut down your request. I just said what I think about that. But you found yourself offended because I didn't agree with you. As a matter of fact I was just answered to Jim Simon and somehow you found yourself offended because of that.
As you may not have noticed, in the first place I didn't act as a BMD forum gate keeper. I just behaved as Chales did and simply told you that scopes are floating windows (resizable also) and you can place it wherever you want. As we both can see, that was your original request in the post just above my answer. Isn't it? But you acted like I offended you, because I told you to inform yourself before requesting. There is a difference between question and request. Simple "people, I'm so busy (but didn't we all?), I can't read the whole manual, can someone please tell me is there a way to move the scopes, to expand the timeline, etc." and everyone will nicely reply to such behavior. But when you try to put yourself above others because you're so busy running whatever, then you can expect the same from others.
As a new member of the forum, since September 2017, I can tell you - I never act superior. I always act nicely, when the people are nice. But when someone tries to humiliate me for no reason, then I need to show to him who's wrong and who's right in his own way. In the first place you didn't act nicely, so what kind of reaction did you expect?

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Pete Berthet

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 2:49 am

I'm sorry if you didn't read my post correctly.

I stated that i'm sure someone had asked before for free floating panels.
I actually wanted to move the viewer, you assumed I wanted to move the scopes and that I didn't already know they could be moved.

Charles actually read and understood one of the things that I was trying to do.

You flippantly brushed off our issue and told me to 'spend a few years learning'

So... to be quite honest if you don't see that as rude, then good luck to ya!

It's a suggestion post. Either post some helpful information or don't post anything at all.

Replying to a user suggestion with 'nar it's all great, i like it how it is so no need to change it cause it suits me' is unhelpful.

If you don't want to move stuff around then don't. I do, so do my other editors. Simple :)

VioletWolf

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 3:45 am

Yup
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

georgekg

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 2:33 pm

Pete Berthet wrote:If you're telling me that's a perfect scenario, i'm gonna tell you that you're wrong.

This isn't rude? Who are you to judge if I'm (and Jim Simon too) wrong or right? Behaviour is like a boomerang - the way you act is the way you can expect reaction.
Maybe I'm wrong from your point of view, but I'm certainly not wrong from my point of view and from the point of view of the people who have the same opinion as I do.
This is the perfect setup for me. Maybe it isn't for you, but I wouldn't tell you that you are wrong because of that. So if everyone who disagrees with you is in the wrong, then you have a big problem...

Pete Berthet wrote:You flippantly brushed off our issue and told me to 'spend a few years learning'

Yes I told you to spend more time learning, because there are so many people who "don't have the time" (some of them are lazy too) to learn how to use the tools they need and came to forum and act like you did:
Pete Berthet wrote:It's pretty frustrating to have to work the way resolve tells us to instead of just putting stuff where we want it.
Resolve gave you the ability to change the layout to a certain point and you didn't know that, but you gave yourself freedom to tell that Resolve didn't care for their users. You didn't use exactly those words, but the meaning is the same.
The only problem you had is the lack of knowledge. But you acted as someone who knows much and accused Resolve for your frustration. That is the only reason why I told you to learn more before demanding something. The other option you have, is to nicely ask in the forum. And if experienced users tell you that the option you need doesn't exist, then you should ask the developer to implement it. That is the logical order that you rudely neglected.

Pete Berthet wrote:Either post some helpful information or don't post anything at all.

When you nicely ask for help you can expect it. But when you act bossy, then, this is what you can expect from those who aren't (luckily) your employees, from those who do not have the need to bootlick.

Pete Berthet wrote:Replying to a user suggestion with 'nar it's all great, i like it how it is so no need to change it cause it suits me' is unhelpful.

You obviously didn't understand or didn't read what I wrote. I didn't deny your needs. All I sad is: it is a natural reaction immediately when you switch over from Premiere to Resolve. I had it too 6 years ago. But after some time you'll realize that rearranging windows isn't so important. You'll realize that everything is almost perfectly positioned. Ofcourse, there is no chance that everyone will be satisfied. That's why Resolve gives us the ability to rearrange windows to the certain point. Making all windows movable, probably isn't so easy task for programmers in such a complex program. But you rudely said "I'm requesting fairly simple feature"
Maybe you are not aware, but in all your posts you act bossy. This is a forum where people help each other. This isn't your company. The only boss here is the administrator. We are here to help each other. We are all the same here.  The only thing that differentiate us here is the level of knowledge. Nicely ask and people will gladly help.

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Pete Berthet

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 7:24 pm

Fella my post literally says "let us move the panels around please"

Im not trying to be rude. Im trying to move the viewer and you can't do that.

It seems you're annoyed because I called your thinking on this subject wrong. It's 2021, freedom of choice in how we work has come a long way, there's no such thing as one size fits all.

Maybe i'm just spoiled from my 13 years with prem pro and fc7 before that but moveable windows to me seems so 2000s. :D

In the end you're making assumptions about me and making personal attacks instead of making a point.

Which is, again. You can't move the viewer!

If you like it the way it is. Great for you! But there are those of us out here who would like more customisation.

wfolta

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 10:49 pm

I'd also vote against it. It will add a LOT of complication to the underlying code, increasing bugs. It will take a lot of developer work, decreasing the time they have to spend on productive features. And last, the last thing we need in Resolve is to make it a free Premiere clone.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Pete Berthet

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 11:23 pm

wfolta wrote:I'd also vote against it. It will add a LOT of complication to the underlying code, increasing bugs. It will take a lot of developer work, decreasing the time they have to spend on productive features. And last, the last thing we need in Resolve is to make it a free Premiere clone.

Interesting take. Ive seen this come up a lot and I'm wondering why.
Its not like they're an indie dev team or anything, BMD regularly turns a profit into the hundreds of millions.
I guess it just seems to me like they can do anything if they want to.

And as far as making it free? I'm a studio user so I dont really care if they pay wall that feature like they have with 2up screens.

georgekg

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 11:27 pm

Pete Berthet wrote:Fella my post literally says "let us move the panels around please"

Maybe now... At first, this "please" wasn't visible at all...

Pete Berthet wrote:...Im trying to move the viewer and you can't do that.

Well, I don't need that. As I said, it was my necessity when I was switching over from Premiere to Resolve, but now, I don't want such trivia anymore.

Pete Berthet wrote:It seems you're annoyed because I called your thinking on this subject wrong.

Of course I am. Every normal person should be when someone tells him that he is wrong just because of that he has a different opinion on some topic.

Pete Berthet wrote:It's 2021, freedom of choice in how we work has come a long way, there's no such thing as one size fits all.

Take it or leave it also exists. Why are you switching from Premiere to Resolve? Why don't you simply ask Adobe to implement your needs into their software? Maybe because you saw (like many of us) that Adobe doesn't give a s*it for their users. BMD on the other hand is very generous and they listen to us very carefully. That is the reason why I like to use this software. But your request is around for a while and when BMD didn't implement it for such a long time, it obviously means that they have a goood reason why they didn't do it so far.

Pete Berthet wrote:Maybe i'm just spoiled from my 13 years with prem pro and fc7 before that but moveable windows to me seems so 2000s. :D

Yes, when the software is written with such option from the beginning. But when you need to add such option into something so complex like resolve is, it can bring alot of trouble and bugs and... whatever. Try to think that way.

Pete Berthet wrote:In the end you're making assumptions about me and making personal attacks instead of making a point.

I didn't attack you. I was just agreed with Jim Simon and explained why i think that way. Then you attacked me and told me that I'm wrong. Just because my thinking is different than yours.

Pete Berthet wrote:Which is, again. You can't move the viewer!
The point is that I don't need to move the viewer. Like the majority of us. I was in need to move almost everything when I switched to Resolve. After some time spent with Resolve, I realized that moving windows is just a toy for a spoiled child.
At the end I just quote @wfolta "the last thing we need in Resolve is to make it a free Premiere clone" That is the only point. Free or paid, the point is the same.
Last edited by georgekg on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

wfolta

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 11:35 pm

Pete Berthet wrote:
wfolta wrote:I'd also vote against it. It will add a LOT of complication to the underlying code, increasing bugs. It will take a lot of developer work, decreasing the time they have to spend on productive features. And last, the last thing we need in Resolve is to make it a free Premiere clone.

Interesting take. Ive seen this come up a lot and I'm wondering why.
Its not like they're an indie dev team or anything, BMD regularly turns a profit into the hundreds of millions.
I guess it just seems to me like they can do anything if they want to.

And as far as making it free? I'm a studio user so I dont really care if they pay wall that feature like they have with 2up screens.

And Resolve is literally four or five standalone-programs-worth of features combined. It's HUGE. So, having been a developer for many years, I don't think they can do anything they want. And the interactions between various tabs and panels may be unbelievably complex.

For example, they recently changed how copy/paste works in Color. It's logical, but it is very non-intuitive due to the way that panels and the panel focus interacts and changes.

On another note, I shudder to think of the level of questions in such an all-encompassing program once new folks decide they want to arrange everything and float or nest panels and apply skins and...

I get that it probably needs more flexibility once you go multi-screen. I only dabble with that since my second screen is so small, but I have to agree that basically having one or two choices in that realm feels quite limiting. On the other hand, insisting I want the Inspector to be on the left not the right is appealing but fragmenting in multiple ways and not nearly as important in my eyes as working on features like HDR controls or color science.

And from a personal viewpoint, if something works like an Adobe product, that's a sign that it's broken. Premier has warped people's brains into a layer-and-effects-on-layers mindset that is horrible for real work. (I.e. node-based approaches.) They only ever designed one product: Photoshop. Premiere is Photoshop with timelines, and After Effects is Clunky Premiere.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Pete Berthet

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 11:39 pm

Oof.. bit superior there buddy.

You don't need it..fine.. I would like to. Others would like to also.

Youre getting pretty defensive that someone dare suggest a change to how things work.

Also I haven't edited the post topic so please don't insinuate that I'm a liar in addition to being lazy, a spoiled child and inexperienced.

Thanks mate. :)

georgekg

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 11:58 pm

You misunderstood me. Sorry, English isn't my mother tongue and I can't express myself in the manner I'd like. I said that I was a spoiled child (not you) when I was in need to rearrange windows instead of paying attention why is this software so much better than Premiere.
I'm not defensive. As I told you - behaviour is like a boomerang. If you are nice, I'll be much nicer to you. If you are attacking me, I'll attack you more.
Maybe it's the time to finish this argue and spend time more efficiently than arguing.
Maybe in learning Resolve better :D

At the end I'll just agree with @wfolta He said almost everything I think too.

If you need bigger picture in the viewer pannel, maybe clean feed option can help you. I don't know why do you need bigger viewer than it can be right now, but this might help.

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Kel Philm

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 7:19 pm

+1 for customizable interfaces. A lot of us have different needs and those that don't can keep it as it is (or tell the rest of us how we 'should' work).

C.T. Bell

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 8:57 pm

georgekg wrote:

Agreed. One of the many reasons I tell people to switch to Resolve is that you don't need 2 monitors! (though 2 monitors is nice) In premiere two monitors was a necessity. Everything was in the wrong place all the time and there were so many dialog boxes you needed a shovel to dig your way out. Premiere didn't even have a folder tree. Opening any bin opened a new window. I hated it.

Please don't change Divinci, it's great as it is.
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

brediknight

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 9:52 pm

we use two monitors on our setups and I agree with OP.
Customization is expected.

I really don't like having Audio Tracks 1 and 2 in the far left bottom of my two monitor setup. Farthest away from my timeline and Record window.
I'd prefer to move them closer to the source and record.

I'm really not sure why people wouldn't want the flexibility. It is only a plus. If you like the layout, keep it. For those of us that would prefer to change it, we would be able to.

+1

(OP - OT- If you are running a studio and doing TV shows, watch-out for Resolve's multicam. Its awe-full, a hack and just a nested timeline and doesn't see "angles" as individual clips. We learned the hard way and went back to Avid for Multicam. - Please everyone, don't' respond to this. its just an FYI for the OP. There are threads about it. )

wfolta

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 11:02 pm

Pete Berthet wrote:Oof.. bit superior there buddy.

Also I haven't edited the post topic so please don't insinuate that I'm a liar in addition to being lazy, a spoiled child and inexperienced.

Um, not sure who you're talking to, though your post follows mine so it's tempting to think it's to me. Which of course I implied none of the things you listed.

In terms of voting against the change, it's not a matter of BMD not being flexible, Or me wanting people to do it "my way" -- which is, as you note, pretty much BMD's way. It's a tradeoff and would take a LOT of work to make it happen.

The bottom line is that Premiere is super-flexible in its interface because it doesn't offer you any actual different workflows appropriate to a task. It's all just layers and effects on those layers and generic effects windows that you can put wherever you want. It works precisely because color grading is no different from VFX is no different from audio.

Resolve gives you appropriate workflows that are not interchangeable, and also supports task-specific work surfaces, etc. It isn't as simple to Premier-ize the interface as the OP thinks. There are much deeper links in the UI than just a few panels on different pages. As I mentioned, just making one little change -- allowing copy/paste of clip color grades in Color broke copy/paste of Color nodes, and the fix to that breakage has caused other inconsistenties in copy/paste and they still probably have a couple of rounds of modification to that one UI use case.

Pete Berthet

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 4:14 am

brediknight wrote:(OP - OT- If you are running a studio and doing TV shows, watch-out for Resolve's multicam. Its awe-full, a hack and just a nested timeline and doesn't see "angles" as individual clips. We learned the hard way and went back to Avid for Multicam. - Please everyone, don't' respond to this. its just an FYI for the OP. There are threads about it. )

Thanks! I noticed.. we're basically just using it as a synced reference timeline to find stuff based on time of day. Wouldn't use it to edit in the state it's in.

Pete Berthet

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 4:21 am

Um, not sure who you're talking to, though your post follows mine so it's tempting to think it's to me. Which of course I implied none of the things you listed.

Not you, no!

I don't actually mind the vast majority of how resolve sets up it's layouts.

There are some quite odd decisions in certain panels and that's the reason I posted in the first place.

Case in point, I'd prefer to have my scopes and viewer on the same screen. Instead of having the viewer sit above the wheels, and the gallery sit above the scopes.

You'd have a bigger viewer for starters, and to my mind it makes more sense to have the thing you want to look at and the reference scopes on the same page while you make adjustments.

visualfeast

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 am

+1 for some more flexibility for what can be put on 2nd and 3rd screens, without breaking the main interface.
•14700K/96G/4080SuperFE/24TB RAID/PA278CGV(x2)/U2415(x1)/StreamDeckXL+15
•5950x/64G/3080ti/80TB RAID/Intensity Pro 4K/U2415(x2)/Shogun 7/HPE LTO6/StreamDeck15
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Studio v18.6.6/Win10 Pro 22H2

brediknight

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 10:09 pm

This is a feature request forum. It is a valid request, and not the first time it's been brought up.

This is why BMD needs an actual Beta Tracker and Bug system. Not a forum for this.

If people like the way things are, there is no need to debate it. It's a request. Adding "not me paragraphs" just adds more work for BMD to filter out the discussion.
Request should be how to make the request work better, if anything.

Additionally, nobody should speak for BMD capabilities or the difficulty of development. BMD will decide the validity of the request and if and how they could implement it. Then manage their own dev schedule and their OWN SOFTWARE.

crap. I'm adding more paragraphs! smh.

Kel Philm

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 4:20 am

Needed to be said, innovation is stifled by negativity.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 5:31 am

on the OP merit.

1) i tend to do not like excessive customization, one of the reason is that it add complexity, programming hours that I think could be used to improve/polish other part of the system.

2) however, I find odd that some degrees of customizations are not allowed myself: for example in color page i would like to do like in fusion where I can drag the line dividing the viewer and the clip/timeline/controls and reduce one area and increase the other: that size (of the color control) is fixed (proportionally to the monitor ) and it cannot be changed.

so... +1/2?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

deedee456

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 8:57 am

I would also very much like to have more interface flexibility. Of course, for many people it's already ok, and I'm also getting more used to it coming from Adobe. (Well, not to always have my windows taskbar (-> all other running programs) invisible when using 'two screen'.)

It would be optional, so people who don't like it, can simply keep it as it is. Not everyone is editing the same way. It's not to become another Premiere, but it's also not bad to look at the good points from comparable programs?

Any suggestion added here in this group (which is intended to suggest features) would not be useful for many other users, who could then complain about "it's too much programming time for something I don't need!". Personally, I don't need some rawblabla codec but I would be happy for others if it's added, and who knows I need it in the future too.

So yeah +1 for flexibility! And keep my taskbar visible ;)

David

georgekg

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 1:14 pm

brediknight wrote:...Adding "not me paragraphs" just adds more work for BMD to filter out the discussion.

As well as making new post for request that exist for years, just beacause you are too busy and don't have the time to do 1 minute search through the forum. Adding "this is maybe already asked, but..." won't change the thing that someone at BMD must to read that... If you already defending BMD and if you are concerned for BMD, than you should say "man, do a little search and join the discussion that already exists about the things you want/need to be changed. Do not make new one about the topic already exists. That way you just make more mess to the forum."

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Hubert de Tartas

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 1:08 pm

Pete Berthet wrote:It's probably been mentioned before.

But i'm moving the entire studio over to resolve studio from premiere, and the single biggest gripe all of us have is the inability to move windows around in the program.

It's pretty frustrating to have to work the way resolve tells us to instead of just putting stuff where we want it.

I totally agree with your request. One thing very frustrating with Resolve is not being able to put panels as you need when you work with 2 or 3 monitors
Please BMD give use a customzable UI.

Hubert de Tartas

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 1:49 pm

C.T. Bell wrote:
georgekg wrote:

Agreed. One of the many reasons I tell people to switch to Resolve is that you don't need 2 monitors! (though 2 monitors is nice) In premiere two monitors was a necessity. Everything was in the wrong place all the time and there were so many dialog boxes you needed a shovel to dig your way out. Premiere didn't even have a folder tree. Opening any bin opened a new window. I hated it.

Please don't change Divinci, it's great as it is.

The request is not about changing anyhing. It is about giving people who want it the freedom to customize the panels and UI. You can keep the default worksppace if you want.
Freedom is never a bad thing IMO.

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 7:07 pm

Not to be a party pooper, but Peter has explicitly said that Resolve will never be a “UI free for all”, so those who want totally configurable panel layouts should probably temper their expectations, because it’s highly unlikely that this will ever happen.
Resolve Studio b19 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 14.5, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Jason Conrad

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but Peter has explicitly said that Resolve will never be a “UI free for all”, so those who want totally configurable panel layouts should probably temper their expectations, because it’s highly unlikely that this will ever happen.
Steve Jobs also said that Apple would never make a phone, and that iTunes would never do subscription pricing.

...now, I’m not saying any of those things are **good**, but...
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 4:21 am

Firstly guys, please let's focus on the software and pass on the interpersonal discussions.

The fundamental request is to allow users to move windows where they want.

I'd prefer a simple request, as an example, "i would like to be able on the color page have the viewer on the top and scopes on the bottom and all other UI controls on a second monitor" of something like that.

If the answer is, just let us move windows where we want, you wont be making progress.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 5:46 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If the answer is, just let us move windows where we want, you wont be making progress.

And why is that so? Users want windows at different places depending on their workflow, task at hand, screen size and so on. A glimpse on almost any professonal software from similar areas should give an idea how it works.
I do stuff

Hubert de Tartas

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If the answer is, just let us move windows where we want, you wont be making progress.

Well that's a pity because undock, move windows and dock them were I want is however exactly what I would need.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 4:05 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Firstly guys, please let's focus on the software and pass on the interpersonal discussions.

I'd prefer a simple request, as an example, "i would like to be able on the color page have the viewer on the top and scopes on the bottom and all other UI controls on a second monitor" of something like that.

If the answer is, just let us move windows where we want, you wont be making progress.

something like:

while I like the current layout in the color page i would like to reduce (or expand) the controls vs the viewer size dragging the horizontal division line up or down.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

DIVM_MVID

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 6:32 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:while I like the current layout in the color page i would like to reduce (or expand) the controls vs the viewer size dragging the horizontal division line up or down.

+1

My additional notes: I'll focus on the Color page, as this is where I work the most. Also, I'd emphasize that the panels setup we use within a single page, like the Color page, might change a lot depending on the phase of the project or the project itself (short form vs. long form, first pass vs. final finessing, etc.), therefore it's having allowing for maximum flexibility and customization. Here they go:
--Sometimes I wished I had the Keyframe editor below the Viewer and the Timeline on the second monitor where the Keyframe editor would be.
--When two monitors (or more) would be great having the possibility to "unfold" the color tools on the lower part of both monitors, showing more controls at once (
--I'd love seeing more dynamic, resizable windows in general, but specially for the Gallery/Media Pool/LUT/Clips; and being able to show them at once: sometimes I don't need the Keyframe editor, but I do need constantly being moving between my Gallery and the Media Pool or LUT. Maybe a Tiling Window system? I do love these in Linux.
--Could we add a "Display Node Graph" fixed panel instead of floating window?
--Could we add an Edit Index panel in the Color Page? If space is a problem, OFX Panel is a good trade-off (would hide it when opening Edit Index), although having more resizable windows/panels that could fit more information or prioritize what the user wants would be best.
Senior Colorist and founder of Black Peak

Marc Wielage

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 8:26 am

Pete Berthet wrote:Fella my post literally says "let us move the panels around please."

There are actually some good reasons relating to performance as to why the GUI panels can't be moved around. I believe it would basically slow playback if the panels weren't hard-coded to being where they are. (BMD has not officially commented on the record either way, but that's the gist of what I was told back in 2010 when I switched from the hardware daVinci 2K system to DaVinci Resolve.)

Resolve has improved by leaps and bounds in terms of usability over the past 12-13 years, and it's especially flexible and customizable (to a point) when you go to a 2-screen GUI display. I think you'll make more progress with Resolve if you stop trying to compare it with another program and just accept it on its own terms and learn what it can and can't do. Avid, Premiere, FCPX, Resolve, even Baselight, Nucoda, Mistika, and Lustre all have pros and cons, and none is a clear champion in every area. After working more than 40 years in post, I can tell you that the people who are most successful are those who can deal with change and find a way to keep moving forward. I find when I stop fighting new software and just learn to adapt to it, the faster the process goes.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

tadhgosullivan

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 3:25 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:In dual screen mode you do have the option for a full screen timeline.

You do, but you can't have one screen with a full screen timeline and one with a full screen preview (cinema viewer or clean video feed). This would be very useful to me as I edit feature docs, and often just want a timeline and a viewer once I get to fine cut.
I might be alone in that, but that's the point - people have their own ways of working, and the rigid UI often doesn't allow those ways of working.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 4:21 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:There are actually some good reasons relating to performance as to why the GUI panels can't be moved around. I believe it would basically slow playback if the panels weren't hard-coded to being where they are. (BMD has not officially commented on the record either way, but that's the gist of what I was told back in 2010 when I switched from the hardware daVinci 2K system to DaVinci Resolve.)

This is absolute bollocks. Resolve UI is built on top of Qt GUI toolkit which is used in a lot of different softwares, all perfectly capable of UI customization. Stop fighting the customization and adapt to change as you advocate.
I do stuff

Sander de Regt

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 4:37 pm

I am of mixed minds in this discussion. Personally, I've *never* liked floating panels for any software whatsoever, because I found it to easy to misclick between the floating stuff.

I'd be more than happy with fixed (but flexible) panels, as long as you could decide for yourself what to put in there. Like tabs in the inspector for example.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Pete Berthet

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Firstly guys, please let's focus on the software and pass on the interpersonal discussions.

Thanks for popping in Peter.

I think broadly more flexibility would be a boon to the user.
Specifically, I found it odd that (as you've mentioned) there's a heap of unused space on the second window in the colour panel that could be better utilised. ie: Put the viewer over the scopes, and heap all the UI controls onto the other window.

That said, Everyone has different preferences for how they like to work, which is why I made the suggestion in the first place.

If each element of the UI was a snapping panel then we could set up Resolve in a way that works for each of us.. or just leave it at default if that's what is preferred.

eikonoklastes

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 4:55 am

I'm in favour of customizable UIs, however, this is exceedingly low priority for me because the current UI is already very capable and functional - its lack of customisability isn't hindering my productivity.

The only thing that really gets my goat is the hard-coded width limit of the Media Pool on the Edit Page:

Why is it so narrow? You can go nearly twice that width on the Cut Page (although why you cannot keep going further, is beyond me). Just let us make the Program Monitor as tiny as we want in favour of the widest Media Pool possible.

Quick update: just took a look across each page, and it's a different hard-coded limit on each page, with Fusion being the most lenient, allowing you to resize it all the way to the right until the viewer is tiny. Hopefully this is applied to all pages going forward.

visualfeast

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 7:28 pm

eikonoklastes wrote:Quick update: just took a look across each page, and it's a different hard-coded limit on each page, with Fusion being the most lenient, allowing you to resize it all the way to the right until the viewer is tiny. Hopefully this is applied to all pages going forward.

Ties in with this: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=136259&p=734557#p734557
•14700K/96G/4080SuperFE/24TB RAID/PA278CGV(x2)/U2415(x1)/StreamDeckXL+15
•5950x/64G/3080ti/80TB RAID/Intensity Pro 4K/U2415(x2)/Shogun 7/HPE LTO6/StreamDeck15
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Studio v18.6.6/Win10 Pro 22H2

mikematzdorff

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 pm

+1 on this - Particularly in dual screen mode. I like the full screen timeline but would rather have the media pool (on the other screen) on the left, rather than the bottom... as an example. There are other examples, but especially with wide screen monitors, this would be VERY handy
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests