Video Level scopes as a User Preference

• Author

Tom Early

Video Level scopes as a User Preference

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 5:40 pm

I love video level scopes, because as a finishing editor they allow me to see when the signal goes into super whites or sub blacks which will be illegal for broadcast; of course, it's very useful for grading work too. But getting Resolve to show the signal at video level is both buggy and annoying!

If I have scopes in a floating window in the Edit page and set it to Video Level Scopes, but then switch to the Color page, it will switch the signal back to Data level. If I look in the 3 dot menu, it will say it's at video level already, so I have to refresh it by selecting Data level and then going back to Video Level. But now I close the floating window and it's the same thing all over again.

Or if I make a new timeline.

Or if I make a new Project.

Or if I restart my machine.

I'm SICK of having to keep resetting it to Video Level scopes, and I'm sick of having to keep re-inputting the reference levels for where white and black are, and having to tick a box to then actually show them!!

So, you could fix these bugs only to have them re-emerge a few versions later on (which I think may have happened here), or we could just end this once and for all and have this be a User Preference, which it honestly should be anyway. Then it can be locked in for good, no matter what I do. And then I can actually use the 'Reset View' button for when I zoom in really far into the waveform, and it will simply reset the view rather than get rid of my reference points. Of course, when I select Video Level Scopes, reference points for black and white should be there anyway, what's the use of not being able to see where black and white are?

And please, don't wait for v18 for this.

[And for those who like things the way they are, if there are any, then the User Preference could be to override settings made at the scope level, which could then be greyed out; or else to set defaults, which might be the best solution]
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Tom Early

Re: Video Level scopes as a User Preference

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 5:58 pm

Secondary request: make reference points more visible. Obviously you need them for showing black and white levels when set to Video Level scopes, and yet they are less prominent than the rest of the graticule, making things more difficult.

A solution might include having the line extend beyond the edge of the scope and go into the area where the numbers are, possibly as a dotted line.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

wito_83

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 6:16 am

No solution yet, right? I work on video data levels scopes with reference lines set to 64 / 940. Every now and often setting changes automatically to full data levels. So frustrating :evil: :cry:

Marc Wielage

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am

This is not a solution from within Resolve, but our workaround is to use 3rd party external scopes like Scopebox or Omniscope. Both are not that expensive and have all the features the o.p. ask for (and more). The other advantage is it takes a tiny bit of stress away from the Resolve CPU since it no longer has to rasterize a waveform in realtime.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

wito_83

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 6:31 pm

Thanks Marc! Scopebox is Mac only, but I didn't know about Nobe's version. I'll give it a try. And my fellow countryman from Nobe is some kind of a genius, with all this addons he creates :O

Marc Wielage

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:31 am

wito_83 wrote:Thanks Marc! Scopebox is Mac only, but I didn't know about Nobe's version. I'll give it a try. And my fellow countryman from Nobe is some kind of a genius, with all this addons he creates :O

It's a standalone, so you just buy a Mac Mini and have it sit a few feet away and feed a monitor with the scope outputs, using an HDMI or HD-SDI signal from your main system. Omniscope is PC and Mac, if you want to use an external (small) PC.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Cave

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 5:09 am

I can't replicate the OP's issue. It may be the 4GB GPU RAM being a bit low for Resolve.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests