Sub-clips: Color grading (5 of 5)

• Author

GlueFactoryBJJ

Sub-clips: Color grading (5 of 5)

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 8:07 pm

This is the 5 of 5 feature requests regarding sub-clips:

To be honest, I'm not even sure this isn't already possible as I really haven't found any good source of documentation for sub-clipping.

I would like it to be possible for the sub-clips to inherit color grading done on the master video and/or other sub-clips from that master video.

This way, since all of those sub-clips are "related" (through the master video), needed changes to the master video grade could be inherited to the sub-clips to keep them all in the same "visual look".

Scott
Hardware: ASUS Crosshair VIII, AMD 3950X, Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB m.2 SSD, 2TB (4x500GB) SSDs, 36TB NAS
Software: Win10 Pro, DR Studio 17.3, Reaper, Affinity Photo & Designer, Skylum Luminar/Aurora HDR, OBS
Adobe free since 2018!

Tom Early

Re: Sub-clips: Color grading (5 of 5)

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 11:19 pm

This would be done with remote grading, but subclips don't link to the main clips in this way (or any other way really)
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

GlueFactoryBJJ

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 2:24 am

Tom Early wrote:This would be done with remote grading, but subclips don't link to the main clips in this way (or any other way really)

I realize that, which is why I requested it... :)

Scott
Hardware: ASUS Crosshair VIII, AMD 3950X, Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB m.2 SSD, 2TB (4x500GB) SSDs, 36TB NAS
Software: Win10 Pro, DR Studio 17.3, Reaper, Affinity Photo & Designer, Skylum Luminar/Aurora HDR, OBS
Adobe free since 2018!

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 8:29 am

GlueFactoryBJJ wrote:This way, since all of those sub-clips are "related" (through the master video), needed changes to the master video grade could be inherited to the sub-clips to keep them all in the same "visual look".

One workaround we've used for many years is to sort the show in "C-mode," so all the camera clips from a single camera will be grouped together by source timecode, and we apply one look to all those clips manually. It's faster to do than it is to describe. The Lightbox is another method where you can quickly and easily see identical clips and just apply a grade.

The problem with trying to do this automatically is that often, the look of a clip might need to change in context, like if it's preceded by a very dark shot or a very light shot. It's not always about an identical match -- it's about making the entire scene flow coherently. I have similar complaints with Remote Grades, but I concede it can work in very short turnaround situations.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

RikshaDriver

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 12:33 pm

This is already possible with grouping.

You can do the master change on the pre clip or post clip and also do specific changes on the individual clip.

Far more efficient than remote grade.
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

GlueFactoryBJJ

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 6:38 am

RikshaDriver wrote:This is already possible with grouping.

You can do the master change on the pre clip or post clip and also do specific changes on the individual clip.

I can see how grouping would be more efficient than remote grading. Especially in the cinematic universe where context is important.

However, when dealing with events/sports/documentaries, the location is the "context" and it is (usually) all the same. And it just adds a lot of work to have to find them after sub-clipping them out, just to apply grades. The easiest would be to do a "master grade" on the master clip and then sub-clip that out with the grade in place. If individual sub-clip grade changes ARE needed, then it would (most likely) only need to be done to a few sub-clips and not the entire group.

Anyway, my $.02...
Adobe free since 2018!

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 1:56 am

GlueFactoryBJJ wrote:
RikshaDriver wrote:This is already possible with grouping.

I can see how grouping would be more efficient than remote grading. Especially in the cinematic universe where context is important.

However, when dealing with events/sports/documentaries, the location is the "context" and it is (usually) all the same. And it just adds a lot of work to have to find them after sub-clipping them out, just to apply grades. The easiest would be to do a "master grade" on the master clip and then sub-clip that out with the grade in place. If individual sub-clip grade changes ARE needed, then it would (most likely) only need to be done to a few sub-clips and not the entire group.

Anyway, my $.02...

One help hand is keywords: in media page add keywords to the locations, in timeline you can ask"only show the keywords [soccerField] and all the clips will show up
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

rNeil H

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 4:31 am

Premiere has the "Source" settings, used to be Master Clip settings. One of the (very) few things handier in PrPro.

I do wish Resolve had this. Very handy with multicam work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 12:24 am

rNeil H wrote:Premiere has the "Source" settings, used to be Master Clip settings. One of the (very) few things handier in PrPro.

I do wish Resolve had this. Very handy with multicam work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

that workflow can be done with the "master timeline" but it need to be setup when the project start.

I'm not sure is the best way to go at it thou....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests