The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

• Author

jamedia

Re: The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 11:25 am

Andy Mees wrote:
Mindstormer wrote:if fully customizable both for Resolve and even other software.
If you happen to be a Mac user then you can maybe have a look at Commandpost.io for support using the Speed editor with 'other software'.
https://commandpost.io/control-surfaces/resolve/

That is what I think BMD might be worried about?
The Speed Editor being used with other non-BMD software.

The problem is the longer BMD leaves this, the more likely it is that other solutions will be found, and the Speed of Editor use will fade away.
All that is needed is an SE Speed Editor mapping page in Resolve (as there is for normal keyboards now)
Otherwise, SE users will go for things like https://fluxkeyboard.com or the Sw hacks mentioned above to use the SE with other things.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Firatdede

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 2:31 pm

Can anyone reach a blackmagic official on this issue? It's very illogical that they still don't do anything. A request that has been asked for almost 3 years. The huge inefficiency in the middle of this kind of efficiency device is truly incomprehensible.

michaelh99

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 11:58 pm

5 pages of replies on here and still nothing.

Since it's possible to use the SE with a USB connection I wonder if it's possible to capture the usb data and remap it to standard keys.

leosoft

PostSat Jan 06, 2024 11:55 pm

Purchased a few months ago in a bundle with Resolve studio, used a couple of times and put back in its box... :(

jamedia

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 3:53 pm

michaelh99 wrote:5 pages of replies on here and still nothing.

I don't think this is the only thread touching on this either....

michaelh99 wrote: Since it's possible to use the SE with a USB connection I wonder if it's possible to capture the usb data and remap it to standard keys.

Many of us only use the SE via USB.
I have said several times that if it is not possible to change the SE firmware, it should be easily possible to add a remap page to Resolve alongside the keyboard remapping dialogue.

As it is a couple of people have posted links to hacks for redirecting SE keys to this thread, or one of the other similar threads, for doing the remapping to use with other apps So it is likely the SE has better support for use on other apps than it does in Resolve.....
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

philipbowser

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 7:29 pm

I finally picked up a Speed Editor to test how it cuts multicam shows. I gave it my best effort for a few days but ultimately resorted to putting it back in the box.

I found it way too limited to use for any amount of time without having to constantly switch to a keyboard and mouse for certain basic actions, at which point my arms actually got tired lol. There are also some odd choices in which buttons got prime real-estate on the controller, such as the Smooth Cut transition being more accessible than a traditional split/blade cut. All in all, it's currently more frustrating to use than the problems it's trying to solve.

However there's so much potential for this beautiful piece of hardware, and I hope to see some flexibility added in the future to expand what is currently a pretty limited use case.

leaoxp

PostThu Jan 18, 2024 4:34 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand most will want complete flexibility, but please humor me, please list what current keyboard shortcut functions you would like on the multicam keys.

I Istill have a hope on this!

The best scenario would be if I can just configure as I want, like in the keyboard customization, but if its not possible, at least I´d like to have option to configure cams 1 - 9 as follows:

Ripple start to play head (Ctrl+shft+[)
Ripple end to play head (Ctrl+shft+])
move playhead in 1 frame increment foward
move playhead in 1 frame increment backward
enable/disable clip
go 1 clip left/right
Swap Clips Towards Left (Speed have it in another way, but doesnt have to use jog for this would be good)
Swap Clips Towards Right

I undestand maybe BM does this to avoid users using speed editor in other softwares, but I really would be in love if they open for us the option at least to configure 7, 8 and 9 keys LOL I think this would not be a problem to them :(

I have to use always the keyboard in add to speed editor, I really can´t accept this hehe specifficaly in remote/travel laptop setups

Help us here, BM, we believe in you lol!

Firatdede

PostSat Jan 20, 2024 4:22 pm

We should keep this issue at the forefront, and I also recommend writing this request to email support of BM.

jamedia

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 3:03 pm

Firatdede wrote:We should keep this issue at the forefront, and I also recommend writing this request to email support of BM.

You think that will do any good? BMD look at this forum and there are multiple thread on this, since the day the SE came out, including a couple of posts by BMD staff.
www.JAmedia.uk

rhrn.ch

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Just writing to say I bought a Tourbox because of the Speed Editor's lack of ability to remap keys.

Firatdede

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 4:39 pm

jamedia wrote:
Firatdede wrote:We should keep this issue at the forefront, and I also recommend writing this request to email support of BM.

You think that will do any good? BMD look at this forum and there are multiple thread on this, since the day the SE came out, including a couple of posts by BMD staff.

Isn't it better to do something than nothing? If everyone wrote this all the time, maybe it would become a priority, otherwise they won't do anything anyway.

jamedia

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 4:51 pm

Firatdede wrote:
jamedia wrote:

Isn't it better to do something than nothing? If everyone wrote this all the time, maybe it would become a priority, otherwise they won't do anything anyway.

I agree we need to keep plugging away at it, and I do, it was more a swipe at BMD simply not paying attention to users.
www.JAmedia.uk

Tekkerue

PostSat Jan 27, 2024 3:36 pm

jamedia wrote:That is what I think BMD might be worried about?
The Speed Editor being used with other non-BMD software.
The Speed Editor costs more than Resolve, they give a free license of Resolve with the Speed Editor and Resolve has free updates. It seems to me like there is no downside to selling more Speed Editors even if they end up getting used in other software. Of course, BMD should make it clear that they will only provide official Speed Editor support when using it with Resolve, however you are free to use it "as is" in other software.

I would love to be able to use the Speed Editor in Reaper. I'll have to look into this to see if anyone has made it work yet.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

shinjin

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 7:45 am

I don't think this is about the "fear" that this hardware will be used with other programs. The keybindings are most certainly handled inside resolve.

Its infuriating that there is something like https://commandpost.io/control-surfaces/resolve/ where you can remap keys to work in Final Cut, but not in Resolve.

And I don't think this is me finding some edge use cases. I would use it nonstop on the edit page if I could just

- Play in to out
- Ripple Start to Playhead
- Ripple End to Playhead
- Move clips to different tracks

etc etc...

We have a DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard, it's great, but for regular typing, it sounds like a machine gun going off. So I rather have a normal Keyboard + SE.

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 7:56 am

shinjin wrote:We have a DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard, it's great, but for regular typing, it sounds like a machine gun going off. So I rather have a normal Keyboard + SE.

The fun part is that the Editor Keyboard offers -almost- all functions of the speed editor + more. There is for example no audio level button, which wouldn't require any more physical buttons. You have to use the speed editor for that. which is weird. same for ypos, and i think a few more. It would make more sense (in a non-commercial mindset) to have all functions of the speed editor also available on the editor keyboard. plus, there are some downsides of the editor keyboard compared to a "normal" keyboard. there is no backspace, no pageup/pagedown/home/end, the "f" keys need and extra modifier key ("fn"), etc. In theory it could be so much better.

ShaheedMalik

PostThu Feb 01, 2024 3:37 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:
shinjin wrote:We have a DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard, it's great, but for regular typing, it sounds like a machine gun going off. So I rather have a normal Keyboard + SE.

The fun part is that the Editor Keyboard offers -almost- all functions of the speed editor + more. There is for example no audio level button, which wouldn't require any more physical buttons. You have to use the speed editor for that. which is weird. same for ypos, and i think a few more. It would make more sense (in a non-commercial mindset) to have all functions of the speed editor also available on the editor keyboard. plus, there are some downsides of the editor keyboard compared to a "normal" keyboard. there is no backspace, no pageup/pagedown/home/end, the "f" keys need and extra modifier key ("fn"), etc. In theory it could be so much better.

The Audio Level button is literally next to the red Full View button.

The Y Pos button is on the Close Up button.

Andy Mees

PostThu Feb 01, 2024 4:07 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:The Audio Level button is literally next to the red Full View button.
The Y Pos button is on the Close Up button.
Shaheed, Rick and Leonhard are commenting about the Speed Editor's older brother, the 'DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard', which apparently doesn't have these keys.Image

jace112

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 12:52 pm

Waiting for the customization, hadware is nice but software way too limited
Windows 11 Pro / DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.1.4 with Speed Editor
AMD Ryzen 7 (2700) / 32 GB / GTX1660 6 GB
https://valid.x86.fr/qdg2hi

p.sudakovs

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 9:55 am

+1 for me for controlling other software

I love contour shuttle that I have and this is why Speed Editor is sitting idle most of the time. It was even sleeping in the original box for quite a long time.

BMD please make it more universal and easy to use. Take notes from Contour Shuttle Pro v2 - the software even as limited as it is - with macros and stuff = perfect. I believe that BMD team can make this idea even better.

studio1492

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 12:33 am

Hardware Alt and Shift keys will elevate to the square the customizable keys.

Also ergonomical design to avoid to move the wristl while editing with left hand (the other hand is on the mouse or trackpad).

Otherwise there are more professional hardware alternatives to Speed Editor, including a QWERTY keyboard.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

emn8or

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 4:02 am

jamedia wrote:
+1
How many people are running 9 cameras?

I reckon the only guy using 9 cams to shoot is the guy in that Multicam instructional video that I saw... you know the one with the live band. :D

jamedia

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 11:30 pm

emn8or wrote:
jamedia wrote:
+1

I reckon the only guy using 9 cams to shoot is the guy in that Multicam instructional video that I saw... you know the one with the live band. :D

There will be other people using 9 cameras otherwise BMD wouldn't have done it but I would suggest they are a very small percentage of the market for the SE.
www.JAmedia.uk

Betatester

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 8:18 am

jamedia wrote:
Jeremy Gadd wrote:I'd like to be able to assign shortcuts. For example, I'm not using the 9 cam buttons so I'd like to be able to use Cam 1 as Previous Edit or next marker etc.

+1

Well, I run 7 camera's for festivals but even then I would like programmable keys.
Problem is that on the Speed editor the numbers are like a calculator with the '1' at the left bottom while the layout in Resolve is like a phone with the '1' at the top left. Very confusing

So now I've programmed the number keys on my normal keyboard to match the sequence in Resolve. The speed editor is only used as an expensive scroll wheel.
Last edited by Betatester on Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlGekGenoeg

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 11:01 pm

+1
DaVinci Resolve Free 18.6.5 | Win11 23H2 | AMD Ryzen7 5700G (8C/16T@3,8-4,6Ghz) | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | G.Skill F4-3200C16D-32GIS | Samsung PM9A1 1TB | 700W PSU | LG 27UL550P-W | DJI OsmoAction4 (H.265 10-bit 4:2:0 Dlog-M) | Kingston CSP 256GB U3 V30 A1

jamedia

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 2:53 pm

Betatester wrote:
jamedia wrote:Problem is that on the Speed editor the numbers are like a calculator with the '1' at the left bottom while the layout in Resolve is like a phone with the '1' at the top left. Very confusing

I am confused, but then I don't use multi-cam in Resolve even if I have 2 or 3 cameras. The SE keypad is 1 on the bottom left, like calculators and the number section on most computer keyboards. So that seem natural to me. Where does resole have it the other way round?

I think I have found it... Do you mean in the multicam viewer the Cam1 clip is top left? I suppose that is logical going down the page because you don't know how many cameras there are going to be. Could it be set to go the other way? Or if using the Speed Editor have a fixed grid of 9 in the same format as the SE?
www.JAmedia.uk

Betatester

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 3:08 pm

jamedia wrote:Do you mean in the multicam viewer the Cam1 clip is top left? I suppose that is logical going down the page because you don't know how many cameras there are going to be.

See picture

jamedia

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 3:20 pm

Betatester wrote:
jamedia wrote:Do you mean in the multicam viewer the Cam1 clip is top left? I suppose that is logical going down the page because you don't know how many cameras there are going to be.

See picture

No picture visble :-( I had to dig out the link and out it in a browser.
EDIT, picture has appeared now!!

Yes, I see the screen layout of the clips is "the other way up" to computer keyboards, the Speed Editor cam-set and the full Resolve Editor Keyboard... As it is going to be difficult to change all the hardware keyboards it would be better if resolve had the option to have that scree the opposite way up or if using the SE an option for a fixed 3*3 grid with one at the bottom left.
www.JAmedia.uk

CGVega

PostSun Mar 10, 2024 8:31 am

+1

Colin-Gaspard

PostFri Mar 15, 2024 10:44 am

plse bm, let us remapp

bandibandi

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 9:32 pm

No need custom maps, I would simply settle with a switch where you can change from multi cam functions to edit functions.
That would help BM to keep DR and their hardware protected from 3rd parties and keep BM users satisfied.

Mart_Williams

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 pm

jamedia wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand most will want complete flexibility, but please humor me, please list what current keyboard shortcut functions you would like on the multicam keys.

I think if you ask 100 people, you will get 101 answers.
If you put the remapping in the keyboard remapping section of Resolve them, people will have more choice depending on what they want to do.
Some want to use the SE on the edit page, others on the Fairlight page. IT depends on what BMD want to do.

I know that BMD has panels for Fairlight but the entry level one is 10x the cost of my 12 channel mixer and for my use audio is not a big thing. (usually 1 lot stereo music, up to 4 mics + occasional sound effects) so using the SE on Fairlight as some as asked for is a good idea as these people, like me won't be buying any Fairlight panels anyway. Ditto colour page.

One thing I do want for the SE is the ability to turn off the Bluetooth (via USB) until i turn it back on (again via USB) so that the Bluetooth is permanently off when in transit or not connected to USB. The failure to do this is a major design error.

This^

Make the keys user mappable, we all have our own way of working; let us choose how we assign the keys. You'll sell many, many more SE if you do this. I'd like to assign the top row of numbers (or the bottom left row of keys, which I don't use) to the trim edit modes on the edit page, for instance; others might not.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests