The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

• Author

Jeremy Gadd

The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 6:12 pm

I'd like to be able to assign shortcuts. For example, I'm not using the 9 cam buttons so I'd like to be able to use Cam 1 as Previous Edit or next marker etc.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Windows 10
ASUS Prime B650M-A Mainboard
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
32GB DDR4 RAM

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 6:55 pm

+1 to macro/mapping of the speed editor....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

parenglund

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 pm

+1

Dermot Shane

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 10:35 pm

another +1

for folks who do not ever go near the "cut" UI, the mapping is real world suboptimal, enough so that a Contour Shuttle + StreamDeck even at higher total price make for a better fit for many users

Wolwerk

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 am

+1 for this request.

I wasn't willing to wait for custom keys, so I went ahead and got a Razer Tartarus V2 key pad. 20 key plus 19 more if you set a Hypershift key. Also has a scroll wheel I set to volume control. Fits nicely in the left hand, leaves the right hand for the Speed Editor & mouse. It helps the Speed Editor play better on the Edit page. So far I like this setup a lot.

dimsum

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 7:36 am

another +1 for further customisation

I also have a ShuttleXpress, a Stream Deck, and a mouse with customisable buttons and I've been investing a lot of time learning all the functions of the speed editor, and right now, besides the jog wheel, it actually feels like a downgrade for multi-track editing and splitting tracks compared to my old setup.
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

C.T. Bell

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 3:56 pm

dimsum wrote:another +1 for further customisation

I also have a ShuttleXpress, a Stream Deck, and a mouse with customisable buttons and I've been investing a lot of time learning all the functions of the speed editor, and right now, besides the jog wheel, it actually feels like a downgrade for multi-track editing and splitting tracks compared to my old setup.

+1 to your +1.

I also have a StreamDeck and a ShutltePROV2 and aside from the speed editor being great for assembling
edits, it's a downgrade for multi-track editing.
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

jamedia

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 8:22 pm

Jeremy Gadd wrote:I'd like to be able to assign shortcuts. For example, I'm not using the 9 cam buttons so I'd like to be able to use Cam 1 as Previous Edit or next marker etc.

+1
How many people are running 9 cameras?
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

jacklib

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:09 am

+1
The speed editor should be configurable, so that you can use it optimally on other pages. At the moment you have to switch unnecessarily often between the speed editor, keyboard and mouse.
iMac Pro 2017, 3,2 GHz 8 Core Xeon W, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, 32 GB RAM, Davinci Resolve Studio

sorigrimm

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am

I hope so too ~~

ctrevatt

PostThu May 27, 2021 12:16 am

+1

I get that Blackmagic sells its own control panels and so it'd be shooting itself in the foot to expose too many controls for free. But if you could expose some more configurable controls to the speed editor, that would be fantastic. There are a lot of things I'd love to be shortcuts that seem to be too niche for a panel or keyboard shortcut:

- Being able to adjust an inspector parameter like zoom, position or opacity with the jog-wheel
- Adding retime control speed points at playhead using a speed editor key
- Changing speed point position and value using the jog-wheel

I NEVER work with multi-cam. If I could hold down cam 1 and adjust inspector zoom with the jog-wheel, cam 2 for position etc, that would be amazing.

You could ship some more advanced keyboard customization in the "DaVinci Control panels" app?
Heck, if you had an SDK for the panel and those controls, I'd gladly give the above a shot.
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9, Win10Home ver. 2004
i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB, "Studio" driver 457.51
OS - SSD 500GB, Media Server - QNAP 24 Bay NAS RAID 6 144TB
Database - QNAP 4 Bay SSD NAS RAID 1 100GB
Networking - 10Gb

jamedia

PostThu May 27, 2021 7:56 am

ctrevatt wrote:+1

I NEVER work with multi-cam.

Me neither.
How many people do? Outside a TV studio.
For those who do how many cameras?
The ATEM mini's only do 4 cameras so 9 seems a bit excessive.

It would make sense if the 2nd and 3rd row of camera buttons could be re-configured.
(at the same time the put in the control to turn off the bluetooth.)
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Tero Ahlfors

PostThu May 27, 2021 11:55 am

I did a 9 cam multicam concert edit with the speed editor. It was really fun, although the numpad on the speed editor is in a different order than the multicam arrangement in Resolve. Setting that to the same numbers should be an option.

jamedia

PostThu May 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Concerts... Didn't think of that one. However I think it is a comparatively niche market. (I know... I can hear John Cleese saying What has multi cam done for us...
)

However I still think the majority are not likely to use more than 2 or 3. SO re configuring would be great for most people. that said even you, using 9 cameras, want to be able to re-organise them, though it is astounding that they are in a different order in Resolve. Anyone know why they did this?
www.JAmedia.uk

Tero Ahlfors

PostThu May 27, 2021 12:32 pm

Basically the speed editor is in a numpad configuration (7-8-9-4-5-6-1-2-3) whereas the multicam views are in a numerical order (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9) so the top and bottom rows are flipped.

Max Paperno

PostFri May 28, 2021 2:42 am

+1 for customizing. It may make it back on my desk if this was the case.
dimsum wrote:I also have a ShuttleXpress, a Stream Deck, and a mouse with customisable buttons and I've been investing a lot of time learning all the functions of the speed editor, and right now, besides the jog wheel, it actually feels like a downgrade for multi-track editing and splitting tracks compared to my old setup.

Similar here, but a programmable keyboard instead of SD (yeah, more stuff to remember). Only thing I really used/liked on the Speed Editor was the wheel... otherwise it was a big waste of space (especially with the way the USB cable sticks out the back).

I get that maybe it's meant to replace a regular keyboard for the Cut page, and maybe that's useful to someone, sometimes, but I just don't grok it. I do admit I was also instantly turned off by the mushy key switches with no feedback (and yes they can apparently be replaced, but that's more moneys on something with questionable usability to begin with).

jamedia wrote:It would make sense if the 2nd and 3rd row of camera buttons could be re-configured.

Heck, it would make sense if one could at least use the camera buttons in Edit mode. But no, they only work in Cut, with the specific way multicam tracks are set up there. Which I tried but don't use (the "old way" multicam in Edit is weird enough as it is). Never mind that the numbers row or keypad on a regular keyboard isn't exactly difficult to operate (or remember) either.

And yeah, why are the keys in reverse order to camera arrangement on multiview? They keycaps would be easy to re-arrange, but that's pointless w/out re-programming.

jamedia wrote:(at the same time the put in the control to turn off the bluetooth.)

Or how about an on/off switch? I unplugged the thing to put it away, but some of the lights were still on from when DR was active, and they stayed on until (apparently) the battery drained out. :?

ctrevatt wrote:Heck, if you had an SDK for the panel and those controls, I'd gladly give the above a shot.

Heck yea. But not holding breath here... seems all very hush-hush. I've had no luck even finding info on hacking the input protocols, never mind anything official. Even DR's own documented "TCP transport" protocol doesn't work right (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=141436).

-Max

jamedia

PostFri May 28, 2021 7:48 am

Max Paperno wrote:+1 for customizing. It may make it back on my desk if this was the case.
jamedia wrote:(at the same time the put in the control to turn off the bluetooth.)

Or how about an on/off switch? I unplugged the thing to put it away, but some of the lights were still on from when DR was active, and they stayed on until (apparently) the battery drained out. :?
-Max

An on-off switch would have been a good idea but that can't be retro fitted. Turning the Bluetooth off permanently via USB in Resolve is a firmware fix that can be retro fitted to all Speed Editors.
www.JAmedia.uk

dilbert99

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 2:18 pm

I would love all the buttons to be customizable with the following approach.

In the Keyboard Customization settings, have a similar one for the Speed Editor.
For any particular key, you can assign -
  • Single, Double or Triple click - just a traditional custom key/feature mapping.
  • Single click-hold - just a traditional custom key/feature mapping
  • Single click-hold with Jog - e.g. say I wanted to change a crop, I could hold Cam 8 and jog to adjust the top of crop, cam 4 for left, cam 6 for right, cam 2 for bottom
    or click and hold cam 7 and jog to slow down a clip or click and hold cam 9 and jog to speed up a clip in % increments.
  • Similar to the mark change colour wheel, that could be used to press-hold one of the keys and jog to select a function.
It wouldn't be too hard to put little stickers on the edges of the keys to discretely add new reminders of added custom keys.

Blackmagic could sell custom keycaps which are usually easy to change with a keycap puller.

TheBloke

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 10:43 am

Yeah, this could be so powerful.

BMD have previously said they have "no plans" to offer customisation for the Speed Editor. But given it now costs $395, I think the need is stronger than ever. If my SE broke I don't see myself ever buying another at that price.

It could be amazing, but its arbitrary limitations mean it's not nearly as useful as it could be. The ability to assign any function to any button would change that instantly.

If they made it work in Fusion Studio I could even see some VFX users getting one. But not without complete flexibility to map every button to any command or shortcut.

I've never understood the reluctance to let the user configure everything exactly to their liking.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Andy Mees

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 11:58 am

dilbert99 wrote:In the Keyboard Customization settings, have a similar one for the Speed Editor

+ 1... I'd love to see this... and practically speaking, although obviously I'd love a no holds barred approach, something like this could/would also enable BMD to define and control exactly how powerful they wanted to allow the Speed Editor to be ie they could protect there other product lines if necessary by exposing only the shortcuts that they choose to. Of course, the 'Speed Editor II' probably does all this anyway.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

SkierEvans

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 1:38 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Basically the speed editor is in a numpad configuration (7-8-9-4-5-6-1-2-3) whereas the multicam views are in a numerical order (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9) so the top and bottom rows are flipped.

Most of what I do is multicam so Speed Editor is great however I use it in cut or edit pages. The cam numbers can be set for clips in the media page so that makes it easy to change as needed. Though of course default will be 1,2,3 etc as clips appear without manually setting cam number in the media page. Also having the 1,2,3 buttons on the bottom is convenient for multicam editing as one has the left hand using thumb for stop/play and then fingers fall on the 1,2,3 buttons then the right hand for the jog wheel. So as the number of cameras used increases the button selection moves up the pad. I think that is logical and well thought out from the perspective of multicam.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

SkierEvans

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 1:46 pm

TheBloke wrote:
I've never understood the reluctance to let the user configure everything exactly to their liking.

It makes perfect sense to me. They are running a business to make money so that they can keep developing products. If they made a product for $395 that does everything how would that work ? Personally I think they have been generous in the current firmware for the additions for the edit page. It would make sense for them to make another version priced between the Speed Editor and the full keyboard that has an additional set of keys that could be assigned as needed. That may be something I would buy too. But for the price I see no business reason for them to keep offering more on the Speed editor unless they charge for it.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Pavel Lavrov

PostSun Nov 14, 2021 12:07 am

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

kinvermark

PostSun Nov 14, 2021 12:52 am

SkierEvans wrote:It makes perfect sense to me. They are running a business to make money so that they can keep developing products. If they made a product for $395 that does everything how would that work ? Personally I think they have been generous in the current firmware for the additions for the edit page. It would make sense for them to make another version priced between the Speed Editor and the full keyboard that has an additional set of keys that could be assigned as needed. That may be something I would buy too. But for the price I see no business reason for them to keep offering more on the Speed editor unless they charge for it.

Given that we are talking about a company that gives away a nearly fully func. version of Resolve for free and hasn't charged for upgrades...ever, I think that analysis is quite a bit wide of the mark.

My guess is that they simply don't have the resources to prioritize this at the moment, or that the SE firmware isn't setup in a way that makes this easy to do. I remain hopeful, and in the meanwhile get around the problem by remapping function keys on my regular keyboard - this works pretty well IMO.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Kye Leslie

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 10:07 am

+1 for being able to customise it.

I use it in the Cut page, and I find that most of the features that I want are available on it, but there are a few that aren't. For these, I have to move my hands over to the keyboard to hit those buttons, so it's not only slowing me down but it's also not great ergonomically.

Probably the main challenge for me is the rationale it assumes. It assumes that you're working on an edit point, so the TRIM IN / TRIM OUT and SLIP SRC / SLIP DEST and ROLL make sense in that perspective, but if you're working on a clip then to edit the end of the current clip you have to wind the playhead forwards past the middle so you're now working on the next edit point and can adjust the end.
Using the keyboard I can Start To Playhead / End To Playhead regardless of where the playhead is inside a clip. This is supremely useful when editing to music as you can line up cuts on the waveform of the music by eye.

I find these hidden "mindset" assumptions to be the largest limitation with NLEs in general - it effectively penalises those who don't work in the same way that other people do. The beauty of film and how accessible the tech has become is that anyone can make whatever kind of work they want to, but different types of work require different kinds of workflows.

I get BM / Davinci have other products to sell, but ironically I edit small travel-related social-media focused videos that don't lend themselves to the normal workflows, which also means I'm editing on my lap using a laptop, so I'm also unlikely to ever buy any of their other hardware.

It would be great if there was greater flexibility to cater to the greater diversity in the types of users and styles of content being created.

jamedia

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 am

+1 for customisation
+1 for being able to use it in other pages
+1 for being able to turn OFF the bluetooth (for those of us who only ever use it by USB)

BTW who needs nine multi cam keys? I susspect the vast majority won't gert over four caneras. (see ATEM mini)
www.JAmedia.uk

radomir

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 6:52 pm

+1 for all things in previous post :)

hiningo

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 4:34 pm

it would be nice to be able to use the numpad as a ... numpad, especially when you're on a laptop that doesn't have one.

jamedia

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 10:37 am

radomir wrote:+1 for all things in previous post :)

And +1 for a like/dislike button

(and I know why a lot of the "professionals" don't want one)
www.JAmedia.uk

Andy Mees

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 am

jamedia wrote:(and I know why a lot of the "professionals" don't want one)

Its not paranoia if "they" are really out to get you, right? :D :D
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

jamedia

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 6:27 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
jamedia wrote:(and I know why a lot of the "professionals" don't want one)

Its not paranoia if "they" are really out to get you, right? :D :D

::;-)
www.JAmedia.uk

zaikamax

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 7:19 pm

+1 for customization!
waiting for it!

Domingo Olmo Martin

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 8:07 pm

jamedia wrote:+1 for customisation
+1 for being able to turn OFF the bluetooth (for those of us who only ever use it by USB)

+1
Domingo Olmo Martin
Author - Director
Co-founder of Studio Barsoom

jamedia

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 10:22 am

zaikamax wrote:+1 for customization!
waiting for it!

+1 (again) for a like and dislike button and /or a poll featiure on the forums to sale 100's of +1 messages.
www.JAmedia.uk

hiningo

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 9:28 pm

i would like to use numpad of the speed editor as a numpad ... but when i see that dvr doesnt make different for a laptop keyboard and a desktop keyboard i Guess it will not arrive soon

jamedia

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 9:42 am

hiningo wrote:i would like to use numpad of the speed editor as a numpad ... but when i see that dvr doesnt make different for a laptop keyboard and a desktop keyboard i Guess it will not arrive soon

+1

I think having that set of 9 buttons reprogamable as macro buttons would be a Good Idea (tm).

I susspect that most people using the speed editor will not have anything like 9 cameras let alone be using them on a single scene. In any case very few users are going tobe using timecodeing
www.JAmedia.uk

RandyLarcombe

PostWed Mar 02, 2022 1:40 am

+1 for me too. Not having a next clip option when working through the rushes makes it a bit useless. I bought it but never use it. If you have to keep the keyboard there for one function, you may as well use the keyboard for everything. You just don't gain anything.

Philipp Glaninger

PostWed Mar 02, 2022 10:50 am

+1

This missing feature is the reason why I do not own a Speed Editor yet.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

travelingeden

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 4:09 pm

+1 This will be a game changer.

jamedia

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 6:31 pm

travelingeden wrote:+1 This will be a game changer.

and +1 for a like button (and a polling system)
www.JAmedia.uk

matsunami

PostTue May 10, 2022 2:12 pm

+1 for customization (at least multicam buttons which many of us don't use).

Will it ever happen? Maybe it is not possible because of hardware limitations of the device.
Would be nice to hear from Blackmagic is it worth to wait or topic is finished..

jamedia

PostTue May 10, 2022 11:27 pm

+1 for all three points
+1 for a like button

If it is not possible at all to get any reconfiguration it would help if BMD said so.

Though the re-configuration need not be done on the Speed Editor. As none of the keys are on a standard keyboard then the translation could be done in resolve. So any key remapping can be done even if there is no way to reprogram the Speed Editor
www.JAmedia.uk

Massimo Moneta

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 1:12 pm

+1 for customize keys !!
Massimo Moneta
VFX supervisor

INSERTCOIN
www.insertcoin.tv

Windows 11 on Lenovo ThinkStation 640
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 32-Cores 3.50 GHz
128 gb ram
RTX 3080
Fusion user since 1999 (version 2.5)

Dax Roggio

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 10:40 pm

+1 for customization. Even if the Speed Editor is missing just one or two functions you use frequently (which it is), it becomes kind of useless. It takes up a lot of space and moving your hands back and forth between that and the keyboard and mouse or trackpad is a workout.

Also, I don’t see the point of shuttle mode unless the wheel springs back to the middle when you release it, which is how they actually used to work.

And +1 for the poster who said +1 for a like button.

I keep the Speed Editor on the corner of my desk to look cool for clients.

Andy Mees

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 11:29 pm

Dax Roggio wrote:Also, I don’t see the point of shuttle mode unless the wheel springs back to the middle when you release it, which is how they actually used to work.
It's how some of them worked, Dax, for example the old Sony 9100 controllers (and every Sony Beta deck)... but not all of them did, for example the Accom Axial jog/shuttle. For what it's worth, I certainly preferred the 9100 myself. Anyway, you might want to check out BMD's more expensive Editors Keyboard... the integrated Jog/Shuttle on that one does offer tactile resistance when in shuttle mode. I haven't played with one myself tho.

charliesaigon

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 10:20 am

Pardon my naivety. This was initially requested nearly 4 years ago. Scrolling back in time, I see no acknowledgement or comment from BM/DVR. Are we alone here, just talking to ourselves?

charliesaigon

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 10:23 am

In the Keyboard Customization settings, have a similar one for the Speed Editor.

New to DaVinci Resolve and awaiting delivery of a Speed Editor. Bit gobsmacked this does not exist already.

jamedia

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 10:04 am

charliesaigon wrote:Pardon my naivety. This was initially requested nearly 4 years ago. Scrolling back in time, I see no acknowledgement or comment from BM/DVR. Are we alone here, just talking to ourselves?

Possibly.

BMD/DVR people do comment on the forum. Usually only for some tech support issues. Not for anything else. So we may be talking to ourselves. They may be looking at the thread and ignoring it or it may be on a to-do list somewhere. We have no idea. It is so frustrating.

I think that they can do the key re=maping in Resolve. so it still only works with Resolve
So far no one has ever commented on the forum that they need 9 Camera keys It is almost as though the Speed Editor was maked for one customer.
www.JAmedia.uk

MaxFilms

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 12:34 pm

+1 for customizable keys

With 18.1 they improved support for the edit page, which is great. However I still do not use the speed editor, because I miss functions like go to in/out.

On the other side, the speed editor has so many buttons I never use like the cam 1-9 buttons.

I wish Blackmagic gave us more freedom to customize Resolve to our needs and workflows.

jamedia

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 12:44 pm

MaxFilms wrote:+1 for customizable keys

With 18.1 they improved support for the edit page, which is great. However I still do not use the speed editor, because I miss functions like go to in/out.

On the other side, the speed editor has so many buttons I never use like the cam 1-9 buttons.

I wish Blackmagic gave us more freedom to customize Resolve to our needs and workflows.

I susspect less than 5% of Resolve users use the multi cam buttons. Though with the succsess of the ATEM Mini range (also from way outside BMD's normal HW demographic) many might be using 3 or 4 inputs. However I would expect the vast majority of these won't be using any timecode system.

An SE key remap dialouge in Resolve would be comparitabley trivial for BMD to impliment, Especuially as there is a key remaping dialouge in there already and it works with other BMD panels.
www.JAmedia.uk
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests