The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

• Author

Nick Mo

Re: The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

PostThu May 11, 2023 10:03 pm

+1

I got the speed editor because I was excited to scrub through my bazillions of clips when I shoot concert coverage for edited recaps. 95% of every shot I take won't make the edit and I was hoping the speed editor would help me scrub and efficiently make subclips without me having to reach for my main keyboard and press option-B.

This is not the case and now the speed editor basically doesn't get used because of this.
Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9 | Macbook Pro (16-Inch, 2021) | Apple M1 Max 10 Core | 64 GB Memory

ASimpleLife

PostThu May 18, 2023 10:18 am

one of the most annoying thing is not being able to turn it off... if I'm done with it just is on, unless i close DR... which i don't do very often as I always have a project I'm working on.... and if i bump it DR will still respond in the background. I'm sorry but this is just bad. For all the thought that went into some of it, what happen did the guy working on it quit and no one finished it?

jamedia

PostThu May 18, 2023 10:25 am

ASimpleLife wrote:one of the most annoying thing is not being able to turn it off... if I'm done with it just is on, unless i close DR... which i don't do very often as I always have a project I'm working on.... and if i bump it DR will still respond in the background. I'm sorry but this is just bad. For all the thought that went into some of it, what happen did the guy working on it quit and no one finished it?

+1
It should be possible to completely disable Bluetooth for those of us working on USB also for when travelling and you don't want the bluetooth waking up at random times.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

mattfezz

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 8:19 am

+1
love the jog wheel in the color page
would love to be able to map the other buttons though
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 1:25 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand most will want complete flexibility, but please humor me, please list what current keyboard shortcut functions you would like on the multicam keys.
Easier is to add it to keyboard customisation panel, everyone can map what he want and avoid you (Blackmagic Design) to imagine what we need.

For example I really would like to reverse the order of cam, to my finger I often start from the upper to lower and not lower to upper order of number.

I know that all keyboard of the world had this kind of number but on multicam viewer the number start from Up left to down right and not the opposite (specular view)… anyone think is weird that the order of cam is the specular of mapping?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 3:51 pm

Good point about the camera numbers!
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Andy Mees

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 5:31 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:Easier is to add it to keyboard customisation panel, everyone can map what he want and avoid you (Blackmagic Design) to imagine what we need.
Yes please.Image

mattfezz

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 12:43 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand most will want complete flexibility, but please humor me, please list what current keyboard shortcut functions you would like on the multicam keys.

While I dont think they are current shortcuts - I would love Go To Node (Number) and/or Go To Shot (Number) to be mappable when in color page
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

ASimpleLife

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:58 am

Andy Mees wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:Easier is to add it to keyboard customisation panel, everyone can map what he want and avoid you (Blackmagic Design) to imagine what we need.
Yes please.Image

This would be a dream!!! OMG this would change my life! you don't understand being able to customize the keys like your image shows is huge! I work a 9-5, I then run to farms over 100 acres and post 3 YT videos I edit every week...(and a father of 4) the time saving would be amazing!!! I currently only use the SE in the cut page but being able to keep that work flow going and not need to readjust my work flow back to keyboard would be a God send!!!!

John Waldmann

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 10:45 am

jamedia wrote:
MaxFilms wrote:+1 for customizable keys

With 18.1 they improved support for the edit page, which is great. However I still do not use the speed editor, because I miss functions like go to in/out.

On the other side, the speed editor has so many buttons I never use like the cam 1-9 buttons.

I wish Blackmagic gave us more freedom to customize Resolve to our needs and workflows.

I susspect less than 5% of Resolve users use the multi cam buttons. Though with the succsess of the ATEM Mini range (also from way outside BMD's normal HW demographic) many might be using 3 or 4 inputs. However I would expect the vast majority of these won't be using any timecode system.

An SE key remap dialouge in Resolve would be comparitabley trivial for BMD to impliment, Especuially as there is a key remaping dialouge in there already and it works with other BMD panels.
Yes, to all of the above. And I know an editor who refuses to buy the Speed editor whose editing style is multicam news room using dozens of tracks synced by eye (frame accurate mind you), in the edit page. even with the best multicam tool available, it’s just too much hassle for him to adapt to the cut page.
And those of us who work in the colour page would love to see the Multi-cam buttons able to be remapped to printer lights (not available on any of the less expensive colour panels. And we really don’t want to have a full size BMD editors keyboard cluttering up our desks.

I do find the speed editor to be a very useful adjunct to the micro panel in the color page. Being able to remap the multicam buttons to various color page two button keyboard Shortcuts would be a fantastic improvement in functionality.
And while I know the panel is hardware connected rather than OS connect to Resolve this should only make it easier BMD for BMD to push a firmware update that allows remapping - even if it was only the multicam keys that could be remapped.

The other missing element in the Speed Editors kit bag is a manual. Only last week I discovered a third party user YouTube presentation on how to hardware reset the Speed editor by pressing four keys-2 lower left, 2 upper right with the Speed editor plugged in via USB. Now if the speed editor came with a one paragraph manual that information would be celebrated by hundreds of thousands (maybe an exaggeration) of somewhat dismayed Speed Editor users.
This simple hardware reset fixed my new but unhappy speed editor after several months of user confusion. And endless internet and BMD website trolling for answers.

Simple stuff to fix one might imagine.

On an aside, I would love to be able to use both a BMD micro-panel, and a tangent elements panel emulator via wifi simultaneously in the colour page. That would allow me to put the speed editor away until the speed editor has had a useful firmware and Resolve a matching upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jamedia

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 11:28 am

John Waldmann wrote:The other missing element in the Speed Editors kit bag is a manual. Only last week I discovered a third party user YouTube presentation on how to hardware reset the Speed editor by pressing four keys-2 lower left, 2 upper right with the Speed editor plugged in via USB. Now if the speed editor came with a one paragraph manual that information would be celebrated by hundreds of thousands (maybe an exaggeration) of somewhat dismayed Speed Editor users.
This simple hardware reset fixed my new but unhappy speed editor after several months of user confusion. And endless internet and BMD website trolling for answers.

I have said that the SE needs a manual but then you get the Resolve Fanboys parroting that the Se information is in the over 4,000-page manual. A manual with no parametric search. (it is just an un-indexed PDF).

A separate SE manual is required, including things like what the battery is.

The Keyboard remapping can be done in Resolve as noted above (by several of us) however we still need a Power off and wake on USB only option. Also a permanent Bluetooth off (set/reset via USB
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

ASimpleLife

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 10:42 am

If BM wanted to charge $50-100 to unlock the customized option I would be 1st in line that is how big I think it is to the work flow.

jamedia

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 2:49 pm

ASimpleLife wrote:If BM wanted to charge $50-100 to unlock the customized option I would be 1st in line that is how big I think it is to the work flow.

Whilst I understand the sentiment, please don't suggest things like that ! :) :)
www.JAmedia.uk

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:11 pm

jamedia wrote:
John Waldmann wrote:The other missing element in the Speed Editors kit bag is a manual. Only last week I discovered a third party user YouTube presentation on how to hardware reset the Speed editor by pressing four keys-2 lower left, 2 upper right with the Speed editor plugged in via USB. Now if the speed editor came with a one paragraph manual that information would be celebrated by hundreds of thousands (maybe an exaggeration) of somewhat dismayed Speed Editor users.

I have said that the SE needs a manual but then you get the Resolve Fanboys parroting that the Se information is in the over 4,000-page manual. A manual with no parametric search. (it is just an un-indexed PDF).

A separate SE manual is required, including things like what the battery is.

The Keyboard remapping can be done in Resolve as noted above (by several of us) however we still need a Power off and wake on USB only option. Also a permanent Bluetooth off (set/reset via USB

It took me less than 10 secs to find this info. And that was because I didn't bother to read the table of contents.

Ctrl+ F , "Speed Editor"

Chapter 49 - Using the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor and Editor Keyboard
It's on page 903.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf

jamedia

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:19 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:It took me less than 10 secs to find this info. And that was because I didn't bother to read the table of contents.
Ctrl+ F , "Speed Editor"
It's on page 903.

So it shouldn't take you more than 10 seconds to find the type, size and capacity of the battery along with the charging time for it.
www.JAmedia.uk

jamedia

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:33 pm

jamedia wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:It took me less than 10 secs to find this info. And that was because I didn't bother to read the table of contents.
Ctrl+ F , "Speed Editor"
It's on page 903.

So it shouldn't take you more than 10 seconds to find the type, size and capacity of the battery along with the charging time for it.

Shahid you were online when I replied to you over 10 minutes ago, never mind 10 seconds. I assume you were unable to find the information in the 4036 page un-indexed manual. This is why the SE needs it own separate manual Especially as the Manual is often ourt of synch with Resolve, never mind the hardware.
www.JAmedia.uk

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 10:12 pm

jamedia wrote:
jamedia wrote:
Ctrl+ F , "Speed Editor"
It's on page 903.

Shahid you were online when I replied to you over 10 minutes ago, never mind 10 seconds. I assume you were unable to find the information in the 4036 page un-indexed manual. This is why the SE needs it own separate manual Especially as the Manual is often ourt of synch with Resolve, never mind the hardware.

I don’t see notifications here. Even if you had a separate manual, you still wouldn't know that information if BMD doesn't release it.

Julyan23

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 11:23 am

Would love to be able to create a shortcut on the speed editor for create subclip.

also would not mind better support for the edit page since I work best when i work very nonlinear

philipbowser

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 4:29 pm

+1 I don't even own a Speed Editor and I want this. I've thought about buying one many times but I edit in such a specific way with so many customized hotkeys and macros that it would actually slow me down without the ability to customize it.

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 5:10 pm

What Phil said. Mine just sits on a shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Michel Rabe

PostThu Jul 20, 2023 9:34 am

I might switch to this if it proves to be any good:

prboxpznivbqqmcolovp.jpeg
prboxpznivbqqmcolovp.jpeg (85.79 KiB) Viewed 4458 times

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daptkey/daptkey-redefine-your-life-with-a-customizable-keyboard?ref=c7nyau&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=yt.bck.li

BMD is just a firmware upgrade away from giving us a great tool but at this point I think they just don't want to.

jamedia

PostThu Jul 20, 2023 11:05 am

That DaptKey looks very good. There are others on the market, but the designers seem to have learnt from them. Elgato are going to have to do some thinking. Also, If the quality of the DaptKey is good it will sink the SE unless the SE gets reprogrammable keys ASAP
As Micheal Rabe says

Michel Rabe wrote: BMD is just a firmware upgrade away from giving us a great tool but at this point I think they just don't want to.

I 100% agree. I keep saying that there is a keyboard remapping section in Resolve. The just have to extend it to the SE then everyone is happy. As long as you can assign macros.

Though of course the DaptKey will work with more than just resolve.
www.JAmedia.uk

Kye Leslie

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 5:21 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand most will want complete flexibility, but please humor me, please list what current keyboard shortcut functions you would like on the multi-cam keys.

My requests would be:
- Ripple Start to Playhead
- Ripple End to Playhead
- Split (I know it's elsewhere on the controller, but I'd love it to be custom assignable to the multi-cam block due to the ergonomics of having my fingers on these first three keys at the same time)
- Swap Clips Towards Left
- Swap Clips Towards Right
- Set Clip Colour (I have 5 of these assigned to my KB shortcuts to colour code clips so I can quickly classify clips and therefore visualise the structure of the edit, e.g. one colour for B-roll, another for wides, etc)

shinjin

PostMon Aug 21, 2023 3:49 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
Yes please.Image

After working closely with Resolve for nearly a year, I've grown quite fond of its capabilities. I recently invested in the Speed editor, driven by our need for another license. While it showcases a tactile and intuitive feel, mastering it certainly demands some time and practice. One would think the next logical step would be the ability to remap the cam1-9, or tweak a few commands on the Edit and Color segments, but it appears not.

This editor is on the cusp of greatness, just a firmware update away. Its current configuration feels way to restrictive, especially for those not engaging in multicam operations beyond 2 cameras. Even for an operator juggling nine cameras, after the initial assembly, those nine buttons on the edit page could serve a higher purpose – refining the edit( or doing amazing stuff in the color page!!! ).

Please doo think about updating the Keyboard customization panel, it feels so wasteful not to use those 9 buttons.

jamedia

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 2:33 pm

shinjin wrote:Please doo think about updating the Keyboard customization panel, it feels so wasteful not to use those 9 buttons.

+1

(and +1 for a "like" button)
www.JAmedia.uk

MuzTalkies

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 3:33 pm

+1
This will definitely change how I use my speed editor of course! Please black magic, do this ASAP

shinjin

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 4:28 am

Just to bump it up one more time, because it sits on my desk looking at me.
Some stuff that i would really love to do with it ( besides the obvious stuff mentioned often here in the thread! )

I really love the idea of punching in and adjusting YPOS with the wheel, but i nearly always to a XPOS correction too... which i cant with the speed editor.

Imagine retiming:
add speed point hotkey
Hold and rotate the wheel between to speed points

Etc!

dimsum

PostSat Sep 09, 2023 8:14 am

+1 for customizable keys. I never use multi-cam. That means a third of the buttons are just sitting there, unused. Really hoping that the dev team can give us what we want and customize the Speed Editor for better functionality.
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

marcof

PostSun Sep 10, 2023 7:04 pm

+1

radomir

PostMon Sep 11, 2023 3:06 pm

Again +1 :)
idea sketch is great.

jamedia

PostMon Sep 11, 2023 3:15 pm

radomir wrote:Again +1 :)
idea sketch is great.

and + 1 for a "like" button on this forum!!
www.JAmedia.uk

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Sep 11, 2023 5:25 pm

for example, I would like to have as sidecar for color correction when I don't have the big panel, so, perhaps printerlights, sort A/C mode, ripple color change to selected/group, copy and paste of a single node, color memories....

I do agree, that it could be more effective if we can "map it" instead of firmware "lock it"....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

dimsum

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 8:40 am

Another day, another software and hardware update from the Blackmagic team. In yesterday's announcement video, I couldn't help but notice the Speed Editor featured prominently in the backdrop. Whilst I find it fascinating that they keep pushing and updating new products, it would be so fantastic if they listen to us and read the numerous posts requesting some customisation options for the Speed Editor - simply the ability to assign a custom action to buttons.
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

Christopher Osborn

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 3:48 am

I posted this in June of 2021 - figured I'd repost here for exposure, of 'things-I'd-like-Speed-Editor-to-do.

...but for a few deal-breaking, missing navigation keys that force me to lift my hands off the SE and go back to the keyboard which interrupts the workflow it would be nice if there were keys for:
  • Go to IN
  • Go to OUT
  • Go to TIMELINE START
  • Go to TIMELINE END
  • PLAY REVERSE
And, one software change that would help make up the deficiency of not having a "resistance" style SHUTTLE wheel - like Sony's jog wheel - which I presume(?) is patented:

A larger pop-up overlay that gives you a graphic indication of how far the Shuttle wheel is from center, which "sticks" at normal play and reverse similar to how the SNAP key works on the Speed Editor.

-

Sadly, similar to other folks here without these keys it's just too awkward for me to use so it mostly sits on a shelf gathering dust. I take it down every 6 weeks or so to keep it charged, but it doesn't do any work.
MacMini 2018 Mojave (i7 8700B, 64GB, RX580 - Mantiz Saturn II eGPU)
MacMini 2020 Monterey (M1 16GB)
Windows 10 (i7 6950X, 128GB, RTX 3080ti)
Intensity Pro 4K / Desktop Video 12.3
An Avid editor hoping for a better way...

Christopher Osborn

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 4:14 am

A while back I made this chart for the Speed Editor - the post is long buried and the link broken, but I figured if folks here were still giving the Speed Editor some love they might appreciate this.

Here is a Speed Editor Keyboard Map to make it easier to see what all of the keys do. I included a "Notes" section to cover either unusual results or bugs in the keyboard.
MacMini 2018 Mojave (i7 8700B, 64GB, RX580 - Mantiz Saturn II eGPU)
MacMini 2020 Monterey (M1 16GB)
Windows 10 (i7 6950X, 128GB, RTX 3080ti)
Intensity Pro 4K / Desktop Video 12.3
An Avid editor hoping for a better way...

Michel Rabe

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 8:19 am

Thanks Christopher for the great chart!

Unfortunately my Speed Editor sits in the closet because just looking at this 'could-be-so-great-if-only' thing infuriates me :)

jamedia

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 9:21 am

This
Christopher Osborn wrote:A while back I made this chart for the Speed Editor - the post is long buried and the link broken, but I figured if folks here were still giving the Speed Editor some love they might appreciate this.

Here is a Speed Editor Keyboard Map to make it easier to see what all of the keys do. I included a "Notes" section to cover either unusual results or bugs in the keyboard.

IS what BMD failed to do.
The SE needs a proper manual
www.JAmedia.uk

shinjin

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 3:36 pm

Go to IN
Go to OUT
Go to TIMELINE START
Go to TIMELINE END
PLAY REVERSE

YES!
Also:

Loop Play IN to OUT, otherwise you are spinning the wheel the whole time..
Etc etc...

Tegid_

PostTue Oct 24, 2023 10:16 am

+1 (and a few more)

Please Mods / Admins stop evidently ignoring this request - its such an open goal. At least just update if this is possible or not.

I'd like to match up with some of the new features - I edit from Transcript so I'd love to tell have an open transcript / go to transcript option.

Transcript / Transcribe - double tap source

REMOVE - Double tap in out to clear - when I'm choosing in out I'm tapping that thing like crazy - this is a dumb feature. Need an option to turn this off or modify it - hold to clear if thats possible.

Match Frame - Double tap Sync-Bin or something

Re-map the 1-9 as Audio track / Video track mapping in the edit page - OR Literally anything - I simply don't use them.

Double tap Y-Pos for H-Pos

ASimpleLife

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 9:36 am

+1

I know this is a "why bother" for BM... but just like the other editing software companies have ignored there users till they left. The same can happen here and while there are probably not a ton of folks asking for this... there are enough people that someone hack it to use it with the other editing packages. To be honest I like the SE enough that if FCP got there shi# together I may switch back just to us the SE the way I want to... The SE has so much room to grow, like any tool it could evolve with time updates. To leave it as is would be a shame, what a great piece of kit it could be...

Tegid_ wrote:+1 (and a few more)

Please Mods / Admins stop evidently ignoring this request - its such an open goal. At least just update if this is possible or not.

I'd like to match up with some of the new features - I edit from Transcript so I'd love to tell have an open transcript / go to transcript option.

Transcript / Transcribe - double tap source

REMOVE - Double tap in out to clear - when I'm choosing in out I'm tapping that thing like crazy - this is a dumb feature. Need an option to turn this off or modify it - hold to clear if thats possible.

Match Frame - Double tap Sync-Bin or something

Re-map the 1-9 as Audio track / Video track mapping in the edit page - OR Literally anything - I simply don't use them.

Double tap Y-Pos for H-Pos

Pierre Haberer

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 10:37 am

ASimpleLife wrote:+1
I know this is a "why bother" for BM...

I get this feeling too. They're in a race to integrate more "whoa" stuff to the software to make sure the shareholders feel the novelty helps the stock market. But fixing and improving stuff which is already here is not sexy enough, or too niche to bother.
Very much like Apple in a way, churning out a new OS every year just to please the market, whilst the previous OS is left with unresolved bugs and other issues.

jamedia

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 10:42 am

I know this is a "why bother" for BM... but just like the other editing software companies have ignored there users till they left. The same can happen here and while there are probably not a ton of folks asking for this... there are enough people that someone hack it to use it with the other editing packages. To be honest I like the SE enough that if FCP got there shi# together I may switch back just to us the SE the way I want to... The SE has so much room to grow, like any tool it could evolve with time updates. To leave it as is would be a shame, what a great piece of kit it could be...

Tick tock.... time is running out for BM Scroll down to the interchangeable modules on this https://fluxkeyboard.com
It could have 3 jog wheels... or 9 pots. It already has fully customizable keys with macros and graphical tops with key bindings for

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Lightroom
Ableton Live
Autodesk 3ds Max
Autodesk Fusion 360
Autodesk Maya
Blender
Cinema 4D
Davinci Resolve
Discord
Figma
Final Cut Pro
FL Studio
Jetbrains IntelliJ
Logic Pro
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Powerpoint
OBS Studio
SolidWorks
Steinberg Cubase
Unity
Unreal Engine 4/5
Visual Studio Code
Microsoft Visual Studio
www.JAmedia.uk

jamedia

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 10:43 am

Pierre Haberer wrote:
I know this is a "why bother" for BM...

I get this feeling too. They're in a race to integrate more "whoa" stuff to the software to make sure the shareholders feel the novelty helps the stock market. But fixing and improving stuff which is already here is not sexy enough, or too niche to bother.

100% agree.
There are a lot of simple and useful things that can be done that people are asking for that seem to get ignored. We do get lots of complex toys people are not asking for.
www.JAmedia.uk

jasonedelstein

PostSat Nov 18, 2023 6:36 pm

Please please please!

I like the buttons for the cut page, and really only use the cut page with my speed editor. But in the edit page I don't even touch the speed editor because it really doesn't help me much there. It'd be cool to be able to scroll through audio transcriptions, and insert them too all via the speed editor as that has been my primary mode of assembly for interviews lately.

Mindstormer

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 2:22 am

It's completely mind-boggling to me that BlackMagic would spend so much time and money investing in a piece of hardware without hardly any consideration for the fact that nearly 100% of people using it would tremendously benefit from a user interface to customize and apply its functionality to more than the cut page. A piece of hardware like this could be literally flying off the shelves if fully customizable both for Resolve and even other software. All it would take is a customization panel to configure shortcuts. Most competitors have products that look/feel cheap in comparison, but at least have software to help them function properly.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max on macOS 13.0.1, 64GB RAM | Resolve 18.1

ajtempo

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 4:21 am

Man, the speed keyboard is exactly what I need for a video app we use and was going to order over 100 for our staff but the fact we can't bind custom commands / keys makes it unusable!!!!

Can someone please let me know if they ever wise up and make this happen?

jamedia

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 4:00 pm

ajtempo wrote:Man, the speed keyboard is exactly what I need for a video app we use and was going to order over 100 for our staff but the fact we can't bind custom commands / keys makes it unusable!!!!

Can someone please let me know if they ever wise up and make this happen?

Have a look at this https://fluxkeyboard.com
I have no connection with this, nor have I used one, but it looks like it was designed by someone reading this thread....
www.JAmedia.uk

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 9:14 am

There are some alternatives. Tangent now has released their "warp engine", which is still in beta i think, but already works really well. you can program strings of actions based on mouse clicks, keyboard shortcuts, etc.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 9:23 am

jamedia wrote:Have a look at this https://fluxkeyboard.com
I have no connection with this, nor have I used one, but it looks like it was designed by someone reading this thread....

exist a lots of tools like that for streamer, but it's not for all of people of this thread.

the strong point of speed editor is muscle memory, you can start to edit with this one, and without see it you reach every keys with shape under your fingher.

the real difference beween this kind of tool and a simple macro on a customizable keyboard is the speed with you can find right key by shape, not the tons of shortcut that you can assign to it.

i'm 50 years old, i started with analog control, and speededitor for some operation it's not repleaceble by shortcut on keyboard, it's all about concentration on edit, and i think is a great tools.

if we can customize multicam key i will be happy be cause i'm near to never edit in multicam, and i can assign to them other operation, and right now i work with keyboard and speed editor at same time (when i bought it the full keyboard was 999$ and was too much to me), but only for 3-5 key,no more.

i had a friend that customize stream deck with tons of shortcut, macro and more, i never do that, but for him it work, i prefer to search with point of fingher the shape :-P

please don't think i not want to customize it, i would like to do that, just to tell that there are many solution for who want large customizable solution.

Andy Mees

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 9:51 am

Mindstormer wrote:if fully customizable both for Resolve and even other software.
If you're a Mac user, check out Commandpost.io for using Speed Editor with 'other software'.
https://commandpost.io/control-surfaces/resolve/
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests