improve the "revert to last saved" with "live save"

• Author

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

improve the "revert to last saved" with "live save"

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 pm

I think "revert to last saved" tool need to be improved when used with "live save on": effectively, because "live save" does save live each action, revert to last save revert to the last action......

if "live save"is on, a snapshot of the beginning of the session or manual save press should be retained and recalled upon "restore from last save" action......
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

irfanintekhab

Re: improve the "revert to last saved" with "live save"

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 11:26 pm

I got in a huge problem because of this. I graded the entire timeline. After which I had to copy something from the last clip to about 50 clips prior. Instead of middle clicking the last one I middle clicked something else and this was then not able to undo!

I could not not restore from prior save either because live save was switched on and was only reverting to after I made the mistake.

Maybe there is a way around it and I did wrong but this is how it ended and I had to do all 50 something clips again :(

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus (XT1804) using Tapatalk

Tom Early

Re: improve the

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 pm

irfanintekhab wrote:and this was then not able to undo!

You know that in the Color page, Undo is clip-specific, right? So you'd have to click on each clip and then undo in turn.

Revert To Last Save still has relevance with Live Save turned on because in the Color and Fusion pages it only auto-saves once you are off the current clip, so you can't just say it should revert to the last manual save because people will expect it to behave normally i.e. when it last actually saved.

And I don't think you can have a 'Revert to last manual save' as a new option either because that's just going to be messy. So I'd suggest just using auto backups and increasing how many Resolve creates if need be.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

waltervolpatto

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 12:25 am

Tom Early wrote:

You know that in the Color page, Undo is clip-specific, right? So you'd have to click on each clip and then undo in turn.

Revert To Last Save still has relevance with Live Save turned on because in the Color and Fusion pages it only auto-saves once you are off the current clip, so you can't just say it should revert to the last manual save because people will expect it to behave normally i.e. when it last actually saved.

And I don't think you can have a 'Revert to last manual save' as a new option either because that's just going to be messy. So I'd suggest just using auto backups and increasing how many Resolve creates if need be.

when you have long timelines the auto backup will freeze your machine for x minutes every x minutes... that is not what you want with a client in the room

you might have realized that you f******* something up badly long after you are in a position to do "undo" to multiples clips

some operations will not grand an undo per clip.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 12:52 am

irfanintekhab wrote:I got in a huge problem because of this. I graded the entire timeline. After which I had to copy something from the last clip to about 50 clips prior. Instead of middle clicking the last one I middle clicked something else and this was then not able to undo!

Yes, selecting multiple clips and then making a change is essential a Global operation, and that's not easily undoable. I check everything three times before I do the click... but even I get caught once in awhile. It's rare, but it happens.

If I make a timeline-wide change, if I really want to be careful, I'll make a duplicate of the timeline and then make the changes. If it fails, then I can always revert to the other timeline.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

irfanintekhab

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 5:29 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
Tom Early wrote:

when you have long timelines the auto backup will freeze your machine for x minutes every x minutes... that is not what you want with a client in the room

you might have realized that you f******* something up badly long after you are in a position to do "undo" to multiples clips

some operations will not grand an undo per clip.
I've turned off live save since then and made a habit of saving manually often

irfanintekhab

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 5:30 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
irfanintekhab wrote:I got in a huge problem because of this. I graded the entire timeline. After which I had to copy something from the last clip to about 50 clips prior. Instead of middle clicking the last one I middle clicked something else and this was then not able to undo!

Yes, selecting multiple clips and then making a change is essential a Global operation, and that's not easily undoable. I check everything three times before I do the click... but even I get caught once in awhile. It's rare, but it happens.

If I make a timeline-wide change, if I really want to be careful, I'll make a duplicate of the timeline and then make the changes. If it fails, then I can always revert to the other timeline.
Making a duplicate timeline is a good way. Thanks Marc!

waltervolpatto

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 3:51 am

I've turned off live save since then and made a habit of saving manually often

that you cannot do in collaboration. besides, it is a function, make it work.

Making a duplicate timeline is a good way. Thanks Marc!

that does not work with remote grading....

Ernest Savage

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 7:33 pm

I've built a few workarounds for live save limitations.

These are more safety mechanisms, and while not incredibly slow, are still not the same as simply reverting to the last save, as if live save wasn't on.

All of these workarounds are for temporary use while working in a project, not for archival or project distribution. They all work by simply copying the project folder and .db file to backup folders. I then have a "restore" disk database that is empty or contains the last project I restored, that I can use to load the last saved project (from my built auto-save macro backup folders described below).

These all use Keyboard Maestro and Applescript. The Applescripts are simple, and I'm sure could be converted to python or other PC solutions. I don't know if KM works on Linux.

1. This is my autosave save macro. You can set the frequency and file paths. It's set to an internal drive bu folder, external drive bu folder, and a cloud bu folder. There is no limit to back up frequency and no limits on how many back ups you want to keep in a folder. However, in general, if you are using other KM macros, you don't want background macros firing all the time. I'd say 3-5 minutes is your max. It doesn't seem to interrupt Resolve, it's just if another KM macro fires and has conflicting action you might get something wierd. I haven't run into this yet.

Right now it's just time of day, and frequency, but I'd like to add that it only starts when Resolve is launched.

It runs in the background, and doesn't require a trigger.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12YjuHxkEugW08h1PoCtS7kBkH2o2R7S0/view?usp=sharing

2. This is restore macro. It clears a temporary "restore" diskdata by moving all projects to a temporary folder, then moves the latest saved project into the "restore" database folder. You can then simply click on the restore database back in Resolve, and your last saved project is there. I would then copy your timeline, dup your project, or in someway get your work back to the database of your original project.

In the case of defeating live save, you could either create a folder you save to independently of resolve, or adjust an Applescript or KM macro action to choose the second to last folder saved.

Applescript:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dtTkfpL8cadPHXwPKB1sneB3_azQ0TTy/view?usp=sharing

Here is a video of the project restore in action. You can see in the video that even when Resolve is open and the "restore" disk database is open, it doesn't crash or care, when I swap project folders. However, it's best to click into another database, and click back to the "restore" database, or in some way let the database scan again before opening the project.

Sample restore video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t-Q5lZ07d8bq987uND_OvG6pm1neBW9f/view?usp=sharing

This macro needs a trigger. I've assigned it to one button on an xKeys.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kiduAfemxq1Mnbo5apBhoiqtwiSuqAE-/view?usp=sharing

3. This is a way to back up the project just before rippling a color grade change.

I wanted a way to press one button to both backup the project and then ripple a color grade change. The great part of the macro, is that Keyboard Maestro is actually handling the project save, so the macro waits until the save function is complete, before moving on the ripple action. Just never wanted to forgot to save before rippling.

This macro needs a trigger, I assigned it to an xKeys button.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n0Sbqvxu4ruVs7TzEvwmxKNgLCSjZ9cM/view?usp=sharing
Windows 10, Latest DR, GB TRX40, AMD 3970X, 2xRTX Titan, 128 Gb RAM, PCIe 4.0 SSD (boot), PCIe 4.0 SSD Raid 0 (cache) 14Gb/s, BM 4K, Raid 5 3.3Gb/s (storage). Mac 2019, OWC raid 0 (cache) 6GB/s, AMD MPX Pro Vega II, 256 GB RAM, 1Gb/s storage.

waltervolpatto

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 2:22 pm

AppleScript works a charm if you are on... apple...

We have several scores of machines and they are linux....

irfanintekhab

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 pm

True. Don't have apple either. Not with me not with people I work with.

The manual save revert sounds good. If thats made possible.

However what are your thoughts on what Tom early suggested of backups?

waltervolpatto

PostSun May 02, 2021 1:10 am

irfanintekhab wrote:True. Don't have apple either. Not with me not with people I work with.

The manual save revert sounds good. If thats made possible.

However what are your thoughts on what Tom early suggested of backups?

autobackup is on and it is setup for 30-45 minutes: with long projects, when you're supervised, the machine freeze for a couple of minutes and it is annoying.

the matter is: there is a function. this function is not working with live save on, I'm asking to make it work.

is that simple.

GrizzlyAK

PostFri May 07, 2021 9:39 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:the matter is: there is a function. this function is not working with live save on, I'm asking to make it work.

Right. I've found on multiple occasions that undo doesn't work as expected in Color with Livesave, in that undo on a clip in Color (that I have not moved away from) stops at some later (intermediate) step (I assume the last one prior to a Livesave event), leaving me guessing at how to get back to where I started experimenting. That's not cool, and to me, makes it totally unpredictable, and therefore useless. That leaves us with creating a temp node to experiment.

Also, is it defined somewhere at what interval Livesave is acting? 1 minute? 5 minutes? RANDOM? There's only an On/Off in the preferences with no tooltip. An option to set that would be nice, as well as an option to set at what interval Color takes a History snapshot of a long, slow color adjustment with the wheel - so I can better guess whether I'll need 1 undo or 15 to reverse that one adjustment. At some point, a hundred undos just to be sure doesn't cut it.

Livesave should not effect the history stack. It really shouldn't affect Revert either, IMO. I would expect it to work like a transaction log in a database: No matter what's in the transaction log (Livesave), you can always roll back the entire transaction (Revert). To me, Livesave is a safety feature against crashes. File > Save is me telling Resolve that I like where I am and want to make it permanent on disk. Revert should ALWAYS take me to the last one of THOSE.
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

GrizzlyAK

PostFri May 07, 2021 10:25 pm

I think the fundamental problem with Undo in Color is that it is timeslice-based, not action-based, like in the other pages (and other apps). What's even worse, is we have no control over what that time slice is, where at least we could use a mantra: one undo, two undo, three undo...! How many undo steps you have to perform in order to get back to Go depends ENTIRELY on how fast you perform those changes. That's absurd behavior.

I just did this experiment where, in the RGB Mixer palette, I click Monochrome, waited about 10 seconds, then pulled the Green Output Green slider down to zero, waited about 10 seconds, then quickly did the same to both the Red Output Red slider and the Blue Output Blue slider. It takes 3 undos to get back to Go. The first undoes the Red/Blue change, the second, the Green, and the third the initial Monochrome checkbox. But if I have waited 10 seconds between those final two Red and Blue adjustments, it would have taken 4 undos. If I did them all really fast, it will only take ONE undo. How are we supposed to work with that level of unpredictability?

EDIT: I did just discover Original Memory (Alt-Shift-O) though on Pg 2832! At least a full reset to when I selected the clip/node. :D
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

roger.magnusson

PostWed May 12, 2021 5:13 pm

Unfortunately "Revert to Last Saved Version" is still an issue in v17.2 if Live Save is enabled, and Live Save is now enabled by default.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests