Cross-fade audio clips with Effects

• Author

kristen_maxwell

Cross-fade audio clips with Effects

PostSat May 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Use case: I'm trying to duck music under narration. This includes lowering the volume and EQ-ing down the broad range of "human vocals."

Rather than fussing with keyframes, this is easily done by splitting the music clip, and adding a cross-fade transition. Then all clips that need to be ducked can be done all at once with a Copy/Paste Attributes across dozens of edits. Very few steps, mostly keyboard-able, and easily fine-tuned by simply adjusting the transition lengths.

Problem: Audio cross-fade transitions do not render plug-in effects (Including Fairlight FX). The Vocal Channel or Multiband Compressor effects do not crossfade-- they just hard-stop/start at the actual clip boundary. And while the built-in EQ settings for each clip DO cross-fade correctly, they can't be set to drop out a wide swath like the human vocal range.

Current Workaround: When I want to make a transition between a normal portion of a clip and the portion that has effects applied, I split the clip and move the new section down to another track. then drag the edge of each clip so that they overlap. Then drag the fade handles so that the clips cross-fade. Quite a lot more steps, especially if you have a lot of instances across your sequence. And if I have to move the timing of the cut or transition, it turns into a LOT of dragging for each duck.

Possible Solutions:
1. Expand the capabilities of the per-clip EQ to allow for a wide, sloping adjustment like what you can do with the Vocal Channel effect.
2. Render Fairlight FX (and any other plugins?) effects across audio transitions

And not to be an ass, just for reference, I developed this technique in Premiere, and would love for the trick to work here as well. :)
HP Envy x360 Laptop | Core i7 3.1Ghz | 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL | 1GB VRAM
Windows 10 Home v 1803
DaVinci Resolve 16.0.0.060

Charles Bennett

Re: Cross-fade audio clips with Effects

PostSun May 16, 2021 8:58 am

I must ask, why do you feel the need to eq the music when mixing with narration?
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Hresna

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 9:24 pm

Effects absolutely should render through cross-fades. The fact that they don’t is a serious bug. I spend a lot of wasted time manually making J/L cuts on a separate track to work around this inane issue.

Particularly bad with something izotope RX voice de-noise, a staple in post production I would think… having noise suddenly pop in full-decibels during an audio cross fade it is just not on…

Peter Cave

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:01 am

+1
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jim Simon

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 4:34 pm

kristen_maxwell wrote:Audio cross-fade transitions do not render plug-in effects (Including Fairlight FX)
Wouldn't that be more of a bug than a FR?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hresna

PostSun Apr 23, 2023 11:29 pm

It’s months later and with new versions of resolve and new version of RX, and yeah… I agree.,, this is a bug!

Compounded by some VST effects just randomly not rendering… sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t, on the same clip, depending on when you hit play or export.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests