Automatically Switch to Duplicated Timeline

• Author

EyeInTheSky

Automatically Switch to Duplicated Timeline

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 6:48 pm

Hello, I searched for this in the forums and didn't find anything, but (and many other editors I know) use duplication of timelines to signify a large (or maybe small) change to the overall edit, so that we can go back to a different version if needed.

Being a rather new user to DRS, I find myself forgetting to change to a duplicated timeline and continue my work (I used to save versions of the project when I used Premiere). I end up working on a previous version, sometimes futzing things up if I forget to switch.

Rather than clog up my Project Manager with Save As... projects, can we at least have the option in User Settings to automatically make a Duplicated Timeline active?

Thanks for the consideration!
Regards,
Marc

www.eyeintheskystudios.com

macOS:
16” MacBook Pro M1 Max | 32GB Unified RAM | 4TB SSD

PC:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB DDR4 3600 | RTX 3080 | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB/PNY XLR8 4TB SSDs

Jim Simon

Re: Automatically Switch to Duplicated Timeline

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:47 pm

I would vote no. Instead, change your work flow a bit.

Use the Duplicate as the "backups" and keep working on the original.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

EyeInTheSky

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I would vote no. Instead, change your work flow a bit.

Use the Duplicate as the "backups" and keep working on the original.

Never got a notification on your reply Jim, but that is a great idea! Thanks!
Regards,
Marc

www.eyeintheskystudios.com

macOS:
16” MacBook Pro M1 Max | 32GB Unified RAM | 4TB SSD

PC:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB DDR4 3600 | RTX 3080 | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB/PNY XLR8 4TB SSDs

TheBloke

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 3:52 pm

I'd really like Versions for Timelines. That would obviate the need for making these kinds of backups.

Especially as the quickest way to backup a group of timelines is to Alt/Option drag them, but this creates them with the same name, which then causes problems in timeline lists where you have four timelines all called "Scene1" with no idea which is the real active one, so you have to go manually rename all the backups. Or just give up on the idea of keeping backups in the current project entirely, and export/import DRT from older project backups if/when you do need to go look at it or revert.

Timeline Versions would solve all that at a stroke, and be consistent as a concept with grade versions and Fusion composition versions.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Nathan Morgan

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 4:44 pm

EyeInTheSky wrote:Hello, I searched for this in the forums and didn't find anything, but (and many other editors I know) use duplication of timelines to signify a large (or maybe small) change to the overall edit, so that we can go back to a different version if needed.

Being a rather new user to DRS, I find myself forgetting to change to a duplicated timeline and continue my work (I used to save versions of the project when I used Premiere). I end up working on a previous version, sometimes futzing things up if I forget to switch.

Rather than clog up my Project Manager with Save As... projects, can we at least have the option in User Settings to automatically make a Duplicated Timeline active?

Thanks for the consideration!

Note that if you use the Duplicate Current Timeline command from the "Edit" menu it makes the Duplicate timeline the active timeline. The other cool thing that the changed in the newer versions is that the Duplicate Current Timeline command places the new timeline with the old regardless of what bin you have active. So you don't have to navigate back to your timelines bin to make the duplicate.

They have made a lot of improvements to this based on user feedback and I think the current iteration of it is really handy.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests