Feature Request: Various Bypass options

• Author

Sven H

Feature Request: Various Bypass options

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 9:48 am

Bypass makes the image appear in log in an unmanaged project and in the output color space in a color managed or ACES project.

Would be cool if we could have various bypass options like
- log (in RCM and ACES)
- Rec709/P3 etc default transform but ungraded
- Rec709/P3 etc default transform + ShowLUT but ungraded

Here's the benefits:
- you can preview a default transform in an unmanaged project easily to see how clips are exposed by default
- you can look at highlight and shadow details that might appear clipped or almost blown out in a RCM or ACES project, to quicköy decide if you spend the time bringing them back
- you can decide how much of the look you are building helps the image vs how much it actually hurts the image if you compare to a standard output transform

sergisanchez

Re: Feature Request: Various Bypass options

PostSun May 22, 2022 4:44 pm

I rescue this request to add what I am really missing in my day-to-day grading.

:idea: :idea: :idea: So basically it would be to have the option to keep the standard behavior of the Bypass toggle as it is now, or to have it affecting only on the Clip Level, Group Pre-Clip Level, Group Post-clip Level or Timeline Level (depending in which one you are working at the moment).

Right now for those who are managing color in a node-based structure, every time we "Bypass" we get the log image, which is helpful sometimes. Sometimes I would rather keep my REC709 output transform, and just "Bypass" all my nodes in the clip level.
Computer: MacStudio M1 Ultra 64GB
Reference: Flanders Scientific DM241
Peripherals: BlackMagic Mini Panel + StreamDeck XL

Sven H

Re: Feature Request: Various Bypass options

PostThu Jun 16, 2022 3:49 am

For that exact reason I started working with output LUTs and viewer LUTs. Now I can't see the log image tho, but that's a smaller drawback.

One simple thing with that workflow would be to bypass the output LUT with a shortcut. Then you can see graded + r709, ungraded + r709, graded + log, ungraded + log (aka full bypass)

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests