project manager / power bin improvements

• Author

Rick van den Berg

project manager / power bin improvements

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 12:02 pm

i could think of some very welcome improvements in the project manager like searching through all folders/subfolders, exporting multiple projects to drp's, or entire folders. Maybe marking projects with colors, etc.

Maybe even manage your power bin from there. talking about that, the power bin could be so much more powerful for editing if things are a little bit more polished. for example, right now if you insert a clip to the timeline from the power bin it creates a copy of the clip to your project. if you then match frame, it doesn't direct you to the power bin. this can really block your workflow and pollute your project. you also can't make a smart bin referencing your power bin. you also can't use the power bin inside the cut page (for the source tape, you also can't use smart bins for that) There is only shift-click to all bins if you want to search through all bins simultaneously, but this can get real slow if you have alot of footage inside the power bin (which it probably will, eventually). a "drill" search would then be very welcome. maybe the ability to store timelines, fusion clips, etc.

i can really see myself editing a multi-episode tv show using smart bins and power bins, but right now the power bin is just a little too "simple" while it has huge potential. (also to compete with "productions" in adobe premiere)

bryantocara

Re: project manager / power bin improvements

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 6:48 pm

+1 for being able to use Power Bins with the Source Tape in the Cut Page. I could've swore I was able to do that in a previous version, but it doesn't seem possible in the the newest build (17.3)

Nathan Morgan

Re: project manager / power bin improvements

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 4:57 pm

I know this has been brought up in the past, but a great use for power bins would be for GFX or SFX on shows where there are multiple episodes cutting/finishing from the same common elements.

That being said I do understand why the elements are copied to individual projects upon use as I could see you running into problems if for instance you had used a GFX but then someone had deleted that element in the power bin or someone had connected it to a new piece of media. Though also in theory if it was managed properly this could be a really powerful feature. If an assists could update a gfx in the power bin and have it propagate to all projects instantly. Def just spitballing here but all this to say:

+1 Def would love to see improvements made to power bins to make them more usable. Also would love it if you could store all types of media in power bins (Seq, Fusion etc.)
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests