Keyword Markers converted to subclips with same name

• Author

rubefink

Keyword Markers converted to subclips with same name

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 10:46 am

Currently I’m looking for ways to speed up my process for assistant editing a feature. The main thing I’m targeting is that I’m tasked with creating selects of each line an actor speaks. This can be tedious as longer scenes can have many lines. Coming from both FCPX and AVID they have simple ways to speed this task up.

Avid: Scriptsync which analyzes the audio clips and matches each line to the line in a script. Some kind of voodoo there. Will avid every have speech to text? That would be a game changer.

FCPX: You can quickly keyword lines which then get automatically sorted into keyword collections. ie line 1 can get mapped to ctrl-1 and then it’s organized in something similar to a bin with that keystroke. All angles with line 1 would show up in the same bin. I know there are smart bins but these cannot be moved and organized within the main media bin structure which makes it a little difficult to keep track of data for over 100 scenes and would be very cumbersome to setup for each unique scene.

Davinci: A bit more manual process. You can create subclips and rename each one accordingly. Or you can create marker ranges and turn them into subclips but this is even clunkier as the new subclips do not inherit the marker range. That new subclip also (when twirled down) shows all the keyword ranges even if it’s past the extents which can be confusing. This is the slowest of these 3 NLEs for this specific need.

So my feature request is that since creating making marker ranges is pretty fast it would be helpful if converting them to subclips inherits the name and removes all references to the original marker ranges. It would be a double bonus if you could select multiple clips and with a keyboard shortcut turn all marker ranges into these new subclips in one single step.

Jim Simon

Re: Keyword Markers converted to subclips with same name

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 4:17 pm

rubefink wrote:creating selects of each line an actor speaks.
Holy freakin' crap that's tedious.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jason Conrad

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 pm

In my opinion, Resolve’s subclips and keywords create more problems than they solve, and duration markers are the best way to mark ranges.

If you right click on either an in/out range, or a duration marker, you can convert one to the other, or you can assign a keyboard shortcut to each if you prefer.

I’d just leave marker ranges in the clips and not worry about subclips or keywords.

It’s still far from perfect, and does feel clunky if you’re coming from fcpx. One annoying part is that marker ranges on *timeline* clips (especially ones with the same length as the clip itself) is that the default marker color matches the default clip color, and if you accidentally click-drag the marker, the clip won’t move, but the marker will. I usually change the track color to something other than blue so that the marker ranges stand out better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

ColinMcT

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 12:25 am

rubefink wrote:
Avid: Scriptsync which analyzes the audio clips and matches each line to the line in a script. Some kind of voodoo there. Will avid every have speech to text? That would be a game changer.

FCPX: You can quickly keyword lines which then get automatically sorted into keyword collections. ie line 1 can get mapped to ctrl-1 and then it’s organized in something similar to a bin with that keystroke. All angles with line 1 would show up in the same bin.

Is there a possibility that scripsync or an equivalent could be integrated into DaVinci? I'm currently looking into "Simon Says ai" as an alternative but Scriptsync is amazing
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

nadamuchu

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 12:09 am

I also want this feature for a slightly different reason. It's infuriating that resolve can create "subclips" named after the markers when you place them inside the source monitor, but there's no way for the Deliver page to pull from the markers to name the clips when it's time for a batch export. Even if you drag them out from the source and try converting them to actual subclips, it still requires you to type the name of the subclip!

What even is the point of having this weird feature if the subclips aren't real subclips and the names aren't really names? I need to do this for thousands of clips. ;__;

rubefink

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 10:47 pm

nadamuchu wrote:I also want this feature for a slightly different reason. It's infuriating that resolve can create "subclips" named after the markers when you place them inside the source monitor, but there's no way for the Deliver page to pull from the markers to name the clips when it's time for a batch export. Even if you drag them out from the source and try converting them to actual subclips, it still requires you to type the name of the subclip!

What even is the point of having this weird feature if the subclips aren't real subclips and the names aren't really names? I need to do this for thousands of clips. ;__;

If the subclip name lives in the metadata you might be able to include it in the name automatically from the deliver page. Use % under the name field to access the metadata fields. I haven’t tested this specifically with subclips but worth a try.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests