Edit Page --> Effects Library --> VFX Format and Sort

• Author

Victor van Dijk

Edit Page --> Effects Library --> VFX Format and Sort

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:02 am

Subject: Edit Page --> Effects Library Tab --> External (non-native) VFX Format and Sort

I have a massive VFX package (mainly Fusion VFX) by rvisual that works fantastic with and in Resolve 17.2.2, but that is very unwieldy to select on the Edit Page --> Effects Library Tab, because it appears totally unorganized as one, very, very long and next to unreadable list....

What I would love to see on Edit Page --> Effects Library Tab: the possibility to Format and Sort and Select external VFX (packages), or to at least allow them to be labeled with headers.

On the Fusion Tab, after I made a folder structure out of the massive amount of rvisual VFX, the created folder structure more or less remains in tact, but on the Edit Page --> Effects Library Tab, it falls apart (i.e. one big, massive, next to unlegible list).

On my computer, the rvisual VFX (as said, mainly Fusion ones) sit at

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Fusion\Templates\Edit\Transitions

So, Please, BlackmagicDesign Developers' Team, Fix this problem!

DVR 17 Problem - Feature Request 2021-07-24 080009.jpg
Screenshot of the massive VFX list
DVR 17 Problem - Feature Request 2021-07-24 080009.jpg (308.94 KiB) Viewed 744 times
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 beta End User

John Holt

Re: Edit Page --> Effects Library --> VFX Format and Sort

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:49 am

Hello.

There are several ways to organize your VFX, the easiest is to add your most used to favourites and just open the favourites tab.

There is also the search option, so you could rename the transitions.

Alternatively you can place them in folders, this will group them, however they will display as the folder name being a prefix. The list will be as long but in sections rather than alphabetical.

You can also remove any you do not use to shorten the list, these can be moved to the Fusion folder in a new folder named as you wish, making them available in fusion only.

You can also create a macro containing multiple VFX (not plugins) so there is 1 entry in the effects library for a category and the selection is in the inspector.

A further thought is you can have them in a floating pop out window as Motion Essentials does, currently this only works well in the fusion page so difficult to implement on a transition pack.

I believe the issue your having is the VFX developer has decided to group them as they did (everyone seems to do this) however the developer could have grouped them as you wish.

Let me know if you require any further help.
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

Victor van Dijk

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 8:59 am

Thank you John for your reply :-)

Again, the following mainly applies to the Edit page --> Special effects tab

Yes, I did place the effects in folders, thinking that in that way, they would be organized within the Edit tab as well, but indeed encountered the problem there you were describing,

" however they will display as the folder name being a prefix. The list will be as long but in sections rather than alphabetical."

And then, you wrote,

" You can also remove any you do not use to shorten the list, these can be moved to the Fusion folder in a new folder named as you wish, making them available in fusion only."

...but I do not want to (re)move any of my rvisual vfx and stow them in the Fusion tab, I simply want to be able to see their full length name and if possible, the direct effect on my timeline. I want to be able to have as clear an overview as otherwise without them on the Fusion FX tab on the Edit page.

* another point of criticism by me, is that all rvisual FX break up the regular flow of the 'standard' BMD/DVR Fusion fx! Making it harder to find the latter ones, if you're just 'trying on vfx' within your timeline.

And I do not want a floating pop out window to be able to (re)view my rvisual VFX, I just want them to be integrated into the rest of the (Fusion) FX, preferably with a header introducing them as 'RVISUAL FX' or some sort of other header. So then the 'flow' remains uncluttered.

I hope you understand my wishes and reasonings :-)

Thanks again for your help!

Best from Victor.

John Holt

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 am

RV.jpg
Renamed with a # to appear at the top of the list
RV.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Hi Victor

"preferably with a header introducing them as 'RVISUAL FX' or some sort of other header. So then the 'flow' remains uncluttered."

Currently this is not possible as the Effects Library will just display the headings set by BlackMagic.

I hope they change it in a future version.

You could rename RVisuals VFX and have them start with the same prefix?

All the best.
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

Victor van Dijk

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 6:54 pm

Hey John,

Thanks again for your reply.

Since there is currently no way to drag all rvisual fx into one folder WITHIN Resolve, I scratched my head and did the following:

* I looked at the Edit Page --> Effects Library tab --> Scrolled down to Fusion Transitions and looked at the NAME of the last 'standard' item there, being Zoom In and Out.

* THEN, within Windows 10, in the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Fusion\Templates\Edit\Transitions - location, I made a folder named "ZZ".

* I dragged ALL rvisual FX into the folder

* With the nifty PowerToys tool by Microsoft (can be downloaded here from GitHub [url]github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases/[/url] ), I batch removed all "rvisual.cz CMPRO" from all filenames, to shorten them

* Presto! Now, within Resolve, ALL rvisual FX appear at the END of the Fusion Transitions tab within the Effects Library on the Edit Page!

* BUT, this also means, you will have to BATCH RENAME ALL Audio FX pertaining to rvisual, otherwise they no longer match. With PowerToys, this is very easy to do!

Still, I'm still hoping and wishing for DVR to make this less cumbersome, and hope that they will enable to do something similar WITHIN DVR ITSELF!

Have a great day still!

Warm regards from Victor van Dijk.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests